onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Top 3 Vale moments.

Spunk Trumpet

Touching on something that Bluedevil said in the Liverpool thread, what are your top 3 Vale moments?

It will also deflect some of the political toss which we are all getting sick and tired of im sure.

Mine are..

3) Huddersfield 3-4 Vale. FA Cup 1st round.

3-1 down with 8 minutes left i think. The most unlikely comeback and just an unbelievable mental went Rico hit the winner.

We have had more high profile days but arguably none so unexpected.

2) Vale 1-0 Bristol Rovers. Playoff final 2nd leg

I was only 9 at the time but remember it really clearly. The lap of honour at the end was amazing with people all around me with proud tears rolling down their face.

1) Everton 2-2 Vale. FA Cup 4th round.

I value this game as my top moment as a Vale supporter, just because of the flood of emotions in that last 2 minutes. A big bruising guy sitting next to me had tears in his eyes when we conceded in the last minute. We all thought it was over. Deflated wasnt the word. Then we had Bogies equaliser.

I have the scar on my shin to this day but didnt feel any pain until about 8 that night, when the adrenaline had probably worn off!!

From the lowest low to the highest high in 2 minutes. Unbelievable stuff.

There are so many great afternoons and evenings we have had in the past. How about the local derbies? So many to choose from.

What are your top 3?

Discuss.

3. Vale 2 Spurs 1

2. Vale 3 Stoke 1 (Dave Regis stuck in the mud miss)

1. Vale 1 Brizzle Rovers 0

Like you for the Bristol game I was only young, almost 11 and I was a ballboy between the dug-outs. I remember clearly as Robbie Earle stood up from the pose in my avatar he grabbed and hugged me and my 'colleague' ballboy and we were all crying tears of joy!

Happy, happy days and a million light years away!

More recently I would have to go for...

3. Stockport 0 Vale 5 (the buzz I felt walking out of that ground was that the good times were coming back - oh dear!!)

2. Vale 2 Crewe 1 (justice for Micky over that clown Gradi and I loved the sight of Robbo flying!)

1. Vale 1 Shrewsbury 0 (the buzz I felt walking out of that ground was that the good times were coming back - oh dear!!)

Advert

Like you for the Bristol game I was only young, almost 11 and I was a ballboy between the dug-outs. I remember clearly as Robbie Earle stood up from the pose in my avatar he grabbed and hugged me and my 'colleague' ballboy and we were all crying tears of joy!

Must be a great memory for yourself.

Ive been saying for a year now that im going to get your avatar pic up in my living room.

It says so many things in that picture.

I never get to the sentinel offices though who have the pic. I must do it when i come back home.

Must be a great memory for yourself.

Ive been saying for a year now that im going to get your avatar pic up in my living room.

It says so many things in that picture.

I never get to the sentinel offices though who have the pic. I must do it when i come back home.

If only the photo had been taken seconds later!

I think Bill Baitch took the photo if I remember right and he is still involved with the club.

I was mascot that season in the Chesterfield home game which we won 5-0 and Bill did the photo's with everyone for me with the exception of the two goalscorers that day, Darren Beckford (3) and Gary Ford (2). I had to beg to go into the dressing room after the game and get photos with them, Beckford was only wearing a pink towel!!

That truly was the greatest season for me since I started going in 82-83. We were awesome in a league that contained Sheffield United, Wolves and Preston amongst others.

1. Vale beating Sjoke 3-1 in the rain

2.Vale beating previous finalists Spurs 2-1 in the 4th round in 1988

3.Winning 3-1 at Brighton in front of over 5000 Vale fans to get promoted on the last day, and included 5 pitch invasions...........................................................happy days :)

Spurs - The first time I saw vale doing anything exceptional

Bristol Rovers - Just amazing scenes at the end

Brighton - Ending up on the pitch and then in the brighton end and then climbing up into the directors box with Ian der laan trying to get one of the platers shirts. Cant remember how old we were, but we were only kids.

Liverpool away - One of the most memorable atmospheres I've ever experienced. I think I stood on my chair all through the game. The fans didnt shut up through out the match. The sound dipped just before a liverpool corner, and I remember Deano egging the fans to keep it up. A moment when you were, and truly felt like the 12th man. I'm happy to say that is my over riding memory of glover, and not the managerial reign.

Beating stoke 3-1 - Feeling we had blown it until the ball stuck in the mud, and then foyles goal. Biggest mental ever! I was at the back of the bycars (how the bycars has been neglected in favour of standing in the corner waving at the opposition fans I'll never understand. Its just wrong!), and I ended up three rows forward.

Earles goal at stoke - After being little port vale, it really felt like we had made it. Unfortunately we have a board and chunk of supporters who are quite happy to be back in little port vale territory.

In no particular order :-

1) Bristol Rovers play off final

2) Everton FA Cup

3) Tottenham Hotspurs FA Cup

And two we lost but I will never forget Liverpool in the 60's at Vale Park and West Ham United in the 70's both FA Cup

I could probably go for a top 50 but 3 that spring to mind for me are

1)Liverpool Away - my first ever away game. I remember being sat at Anfield and then when the Vale Fans started singing I just sat there thinking "wow"

2)Stoke 3-1 in the FA Cup. My first experience of beating them at VP. A great night and a great atmosphere

3) Beating Stockport in the Autoglass. Our first Wembley victory

All quality moments, i remember them fondly.

I was more emotionally attached to the Vale in the 1980s when I was still living in Tunstall, so most of my stirring memories are from that decade:

1. Stockport away, 1983, to seal promotion.

2. Spurs, 1988. A packed Vale Park, great atmosphere, all The Jimmy Greaves pre-match shennanigans.

And one of the few games I went to in the '90s

3. Huddersfield away1998, just for the surreal quality of the game. I made a last minute decision to go so I drove down fron Edinburgh with no ticket and had to go in with the home fans. I managed to keep quiet for the first 2 goals but when Jansson belted in that 35 yard free kick I couldn't contain myself. Luckily the Town fans around me were very understanding.

1 Anfield Away, specifically Foyle's first. Ridiculous feeling.

2 Anglo Italian at the real Wembley, yeah we got taught a bit of a lesson but it was a great day out.

3 Soaking wet Stoke FA cup game, that mud played a blinder that night.

3 Most 'Memorable' moments for me are :

1) The win at Stockport to gain promotion, with Steele netting both.

2) The Final Whistle having beaten Stoke 3-1 in the FA Cup Replay, I looked at my mate and we both thought as one. No better feeling ever.

3) Wathcing Dean Glover's debut against Wolves and thinking 'Jesus, we really are a real team now'.

Top 3 'Mentals' :

1) 'That Equaliser' at Goodison Park. We were literally right next to their 'fans' on the half way line and you'd have thought they'd just scored a winner against Liverpool, not us. Seconds later the absolute looks of sheer horror on their faces......absolute magic.

2) Robbie Earle scoring the first goal At Stoke, made all the better the fact my Stoke supporting niece was sitting next to me, head in hands in total disbelief.

3) The third goal at Derby, pure dreamland.

I'm sure if I sat longer more would come to mind.

Archived