onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cash Turnstiles ?

Mario

I have been convinced for some time that there are certain Vale fans who will dream up any excuse for not attending games. If I turned up at their front door in a Rolls Royce to ferry them to the ground they would probably complain because it wasn't the right colour. I'm perfectly happy for people to make the decision not to attend a game but for heaven's sake, stop coming up with stupid excuses and just admit that you can't be bothered.

And before anyone has a go, I don't consider financial considerations to be a stupid excuse.

Nailed it Jean. My thoughts exactly

Advert

I have been convinced for some time that there are certain Vale fans who will dream up any excuse for not attending games. If I turned up at their front door in a Rolls Royce to ferry them to the ground they would probably complain because it wasn't the right colour. I'm perfectly happy for people to make the decision not to attend a game but for heaven's sake, stop coming up with stupid excuses and just admit that you can't be bothered.

And before anyone has a go, I don't consider financial considerations to be a stupid excuse.

This. I will never not be going unless something major and uncontrollable happens, if we play, I make every effort to go, regardless of how I have to pay, if I have to get somebody else to go and get the ticket, or if I have to book time off work. But I go most away games as well, not all as I can't afford 23 away days, but chances are I'll be at 15 league away, plus any cup away. I don't even consider if I'm going to home games, if we're playing, I'm there. I have never had the opportunity to go and not gone. I even went to the Burton game the other week ill.

But I think we just have to accept for now that we have a small 3000-3500 hardcore, and the rest are casual, and will make excuses/not go every game, and that is fine by me, not everybody has that same bug that forces you to go.

However, cash turnstiles are just another **** excuse though. I go with non-ST holders EVERY WEEK, and we go down, queue together, they buy their ticket, and we all go through the turnstiles together, and see kick-off. Before that, when we did have cash turnstiles, we all queued together for roughly the same amount of time, and got through for 3pm as per usual. It has made literally no difference to our matchdays, so I don't see why it has made any to 500+ people, as we seem to hear so often. 5-10 minutes max for queuing, it really is not that bad.

The gate largely depends on how many away fans travel - could be anything from about 200 to 1000, most likely about 400-500 I'd guess, though I may be miles out. The home element will be around 3500-3700 at a guess, similar to MK Dons in the cup last season, but I cant see the total figure reaching 5000 very easily.

The gate largely depends on how many away fans travel - could be anything from about 200 to 1000, most likely about 400-500 I'd guess, though I may be miles out. The home element will be around 3500-3700 at a guess, similar to MK Dons in the cup last season, but I cant see the total figure reaching 5000 very easily.

Their experts say they have sold 179 so far and expect a total of 300 to 350 which is great given their average home attendance is 400. Isn't that akin to us taking 3,000 to 3,500 away?

Their experts say they have sold 179 so far and expect a total of 300 to 350 which is great given their average home attendance is 400. Isn't that akin to us taking 3' date='000 to 3,500 away?[/quote']

Yes it is, and Id say that for them this game at Vale compares to when we had that league cup tie at Liverpool in the early 90s, or cup tie at Villa - both times we took something like 6000 or 7000 when our home average gate was less than that.

It is one of the biggest ever games for Maidenhead United, and I would hope they can bring 500 or more to make it a good atmosphere. Not sure if being on a sunday makes it easier or harder for them.

Yes it is, and Id say that for them this game at Vale compares to when we had that league cup tie at Liverpool in the early 90s, or cup tie at Villa - both times we took something like 6000 or 7000 when our home average gate was less than that.

It is one of the biggest ever games for Maidenhead United, and I would hope they can bring 500 or more to make it a good atmosphere. Not sure if being on a sunday makes it easier or harder for them.

I'd differ on the view that it's one of their biggest games ever given their club history. It's a big game and they are rightly proud they will achieve 300 to 350.

The difference between Vale taking those numbers is indeed the day and the fact that they would draw their additional support from local football league clubs such as Reading, Wycombe, Stevenage, Oxford and Watford off the top of my head. For these fans Vale wouldn't be a big attraction in the same way for instance Stoke fans or floaters joined us for Villa and Liverpool in the 90's.

Isn't that what I said!?!

I'd differ on the view that it's one of their biggest games ever given their club history. It's a big game and they are rightly proud they will achieve 300 to 350.

The difference between Vale taking those numbers is indeed the day and the fact that they would draw their additional support from local football league clubs such as Reading, Wycombe, Stevenage, Oxford and Watford off the top of my head. For these fans Vale wouldn't be a big attraction in the same way for instance Stoke fans or floaters joined us for Villa and Liverpool in the 90's.

You may well be right about the day affecting the number visiting, but I have to say there is no doubt it is one of their biggest ever games. Since the 1960s, and therefore in most fans living memory, they have only played one league club in the FA Cup, and haven't got further than the 1st round at all. So it should be seen as at least their 'joint biggest game' for nearly 50 years.

They did lose to Stafford and Horsham in the 1st round a few years ago, so this makes it their 4th appearance in the 1st round proper in modern times - the other club they played was Aldershot, who were a league club at the time.

They report 180 tickets sold so far but as there is no problem paying on the day, should at least double this. I hope they enjoy their visit to Vale Park in every respect except for the result.

With Vale at Liverpool 1991, which I enjoyed immensely, you're probably right about 'floating' fans swelling the numbers, but I am not sure many Stoke fans went - unless they were friends of family of Vale fans. I think Stoke will remember their own league cup tussles with Liverpool, particularly this one a few seasons after Vale's match against the scousers - (always good for a laugh, this is....)

...it makes you wonder why Smurf has picked this particular match to trial cash turnstiles' date=' when it is fairly obvious that the 5000 target will not be reached... or is that the reason? We have a Saturday game at home to Chesterfield and a Tuesday night home game against Blackpool coming up - why not pick one of those? Could it be that we might get the required 5000 for those, and then, Heaven forbid, the cash turnstile experiment might be considered a success !! And we couldn't have that, could we? (...he says sarcastically!)[/quote']

Maybe it's because no one has a ticket for the Cup games so people will be less likely to go if they know that they'll be 4999 in a ****** long queue. League games are not so much of a problem as three quarters of the total attendance will have tickets,

Jean we all know that you like myself would jump through hoops to watch the Vale but the fact is there are a good percentage of 'fans' who are very casual and these people need it to be as easy as possible for them to come along. Years ago I was in the retail trade and the shop tried to be as convenient for the customer as possible to attract them through the door.

I think most supporters of a cash turnstile aren't looking for an excuse not to attend but a way to get more people to watch the team.

Maybe it's because no one has a ticket for the Cup games so people will be less likely to go if they know that they'll be 4999 in a ****** long queue. League games are not so much of a problem as three quarters of the total attendance will have tickets,
That makes sound reasoning to me Nelly.

I'm not going until we draw man Utd or the like in the third round , then if we don't win by at least 3 goals I'm not going again .

Being in sales for more than 40 years I know that it should be made as easy as possible to let customers in to a premises and pay for goods/services.

People will enter a shop more easily if the doors are permanently open and if closed means a barrier to other people.

Every little incentive helps to attract a little more business. Cash turnstiles would be a little incentive to a few casual customers. It depends upon wether or not if the propriator/manager thinks that the little effort and expense is worth while.

It was great in the old days with cash turnstiles and standing to watch, with average gates of 11,000 and cup match gates of up to 48,000 during the 1950's.

I remeber one weekday game against Bradford when it was snowing. ONly approx.600 of us turned up and when the ref. called the game off we had to queue up to get a refund. Those were the days.

Apparently there is going to be two cash turnstiles on Sunday,I hope the club realise they will need plenty of change, the admission prices are "Awkward" to deal with, most supporters will give a £10 or £20 note in, I hope it doesnt fall into chaos.

Also has this been advertised anywhere ? which gates will be used etc ?

On the Vale site it has yes.

Archived