onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Paddy Kenny

ollyandpatch

But the mistakes he has been making are down to concentration that shouldnt be to hard to eradicate..

Which arguably is nothing to do with the coach. The coach can talk about it (and who says he hasn't) but it's down to the player to concentrate when on the pitch. Not everything is down to coaching - the player also has to take responsibility.

I think it's a bit unfair to blame a coach who's only been at the club for a few weeks. Surely coaching isn't an instant thing, it's much more of a gradual thing. I repeat, I still think it's fairer to judge the coaches at the end rather than the start of the season.

Advert

Problem is, concentration is massively important for a keeper, more so than other positions because of the time you spend not involved in the action.

I agree. My point is that how much is concentration down to the person rather than the coaches. Some things can be taught, some can't and I think coaches can stress the importance of concentration but once the player is playing then surely it's down to the player, alone.

We had Boot, who is considered the best of the lot

I wonder if the club will give Boot a go in, say, the JPT games if Neal is still injured? It would be nice to see if he has the potential to come in and stake a claim and would do more for his development than being stuck on the bench every game.

For me it's easy, play the strongest available in terms of form. Sam Johnson got the nod at the start of last season when Neal looked out of sorts pretty season. I remember him having a mare at Southport.

This year Sam is bang out of form. He looks like his confidence has gone to me more than anything else.

If Kenny is available and fit enough put him in.

Johnson is very young still for a goal keeper and all young players make mistakes. Crewe always show patience with their young players and if we want to become a club which develops players we need to do a bit of the same. The mistake against Altrincham wasn't as bad as the papers made out, the ball actually ricocheted off one of Purkiss or Innis (couldn't tell who from where I was sitting, and IF he called for the ball they should have stopped and let him deal with it rather than running full pelt towards him. I don't think he's ready to be first choice all season, but I think there is enough there to get him in and play a few games and take a bit of a risk as that's what you have to do to develop young players.

I'm not sure about the age thing with keepers these days. Top keepers like Courtois and De Gea have been regulars in the Prem at Sam's age and younger. Garratt is, in my opinion, a much better keeper and is younger than Sam. It may well be that the new keeper coach will bring about improvement in time but he doesn't seem to have made any progress at all in the last 12 months. His mistake at Altincham was, from where I was sitting, down a total miskick of the ball when I wasn't even sure he should have come out that far. Against Getafe he dived over the top of their first goal which was poor. He may well have a very good future in the game but he needs to get his act together and stop looking so dopey on the pitch.

I'm not sure about the age thing with keepers these days. Top keepers like Courtois and De Gea have been regulars in the Prem at Sam's age and younger. Garratt is, in my opinion, a much better keeper and is younger than Sam. It may well be that the new keeper coach will bring about improvement in time but he doesn't seem to have made any progress at all in the last 12 months. His mistake at Altincham was, from where I was sitting, down a total miskick of the ball when I wasn't even sure he should have come out that far. Against Getafe he dived over the top of their first goal which was poor. He may well have a very good future in the game but he needs to get his act together and stop looking so dopey on the pitch.

There is a question whether he should have come out for the ball, although that is the modern way with a lot of goalkeepers, particularly since the back pass law was changed and keepers can't pick the ball up. Most teams today seem to want the keeper to act more as a sweeper and I'm not that convinced by a lot of keepers footballing abilities when they go 10 yards out of their area - there's a reason they play as a goalkeeper rather than as a fullback. What he should have done is knocked the ball out for a throw in once he got there as he had Purkiss, Innis and one of their players in front of him. Just watched the video via The Sentinel link and the ball definitely comes off Innis's right knee when Johnson was trying to knock the ball long. The actual video and what the commentator says happened are different. That said he didn't make the best contact to try and hoof the ball long either. He does need to improve/reduce the errors, but in the reserves you get a lot more time and he's only going to get used to the speed of first team football by playing games and learning the difference.

I'm still having nightmares about Leyton away last season and Colchester at home.

Awful positioning and a total failure to command his box.

This is a big season for him - if he doesn't crack it now, I don't see him in professional football this time next year.

Archived