onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Paddy Kenny

ollyandpatch

Advert

Paddy Kenny or Sam Johnson in goal on Saturday?

No brainer.

I disagree with your implication. When was the last time we gave any youngster a proper chance? Danny Glover? If Page doesn't rate him, why did he give him a contract?

I disagree with your implication. When was the last time we gave any youngster a proper chance? Danny Glover? If Page doesn't rate him, why did he give him a contract?

There's giving someone a chance and then there's sticking with a player completely out of form.

Johnson has had his chance in pre-season. He has shown a lack of form. Therefore he shouldn't be starting. If he makes a mistake against Crewe it'll be Page's fault because he didn't read the warning signs, and the player will be much worse off for it. I think Johnson can be a good keeper but that alone shouldn't grant him a place in the team.

That's the the problem. Page will probably play him. You could ask the same question about offering the likes of birchall and Lloyd contracts.

Johnson is 22. He is well in to his career albeit a few years away from goalkeeping peak time. That is where Neal has reached in his career. When I first saw Johnson I thought he would replace Neal. But he hasn't done so and I feel he has at best stagnated. So it is now the time to deliver or time to go off in another career. We have seen a few players at Vale with potential hang around for years never achieving it. Taylor comes to mind along with further back Corden. I feel that is a waste for everyone. I do hope he does well on Saturday. It is the supporters job to apply some pressure, it is the manager / coaches job to take that away by ensuring strengths are built on and weaknesses addressed and its his job to perform as best as possible making every effort.

The 4 team trap door in this league leaves less space to get things wrong. Most of the division are at risk most of the time. So that also makes it difficult to keep people in the team when they are under performing or to bring new people in as an experiment. Its just a tough league. It is sort of paralysing.

If Page doesn't rate him, why did he give him a contract?

Because he's cheap as chips and he didn't bank on Neal getting injured.

If Paddy Kenny is in goal on Saturday we'll win. If he isn't then we won't. It really is as simple as that.

Because he's cheap as chips and he didn't bank on Neal getting injured.

If Paddy Kenny is in goal on Saturday we'll win. If he isn't then we won't. It really is as simple as that.

I'm not sure that it's as clean cut as that but having an experienced guy in goal such as Kenny would certainly make me feel more confident. It'd be a real shot in the arm for us and I'm sure a blow to Crewe. It's something that I'd be considering if I were Page, get him on a short term contract at least until Neal is fit.

I wish he would sign for us. Decent keeper with premier league experience. Page says it is only a favor for him though. Apparently they are good team mates when they were playing at Sheff utd.

I do agree on what people are saying though about giving him a short term deal till Neal comes back. It would be ideal for him and the club. He will put himself back in the market as well.

I thought Ben Garrett had left Crewe?

Paddy Kenny's as mad as a hatter although he was (is?) a good keeper. Maybe Neal's injury is worse than we think?

Personally I think Johnson has to play at Crewe but he needs to clearly understand the **** ups have to stop or his pro career will go down the tubes. Don't let's forget Chris Neal makes a couple of horror mistakes a season that are invariably expensive, it comes with the territory and the fewer the mistakes the better the keeper.

Firstly, Sam is 23 in December. He isnt a "youngster" anymore.

This is his 4th season in the first team.

A 4th year to challenge for a first team place.

He has gone backwards.

Secondly, i have no idea why he got offered a contract.

Another one who should have gone.

He is Alsager/Kidsgrove/Newcastle Town standard at best.

People keep harping on about the Walsall game.

Tinpot competition. Seems like it was a one off.

He has played over 20 league games for us. How many can you say he has impressed in?

Straw clutching at best.

Goalkeepers will either lose or win you roughly 15 points a season.

Sam may not lose us that many or win us that many because he wont play the whole season but his pre season has been absolutely dire and to go into a new season, to get off to a good start, would you really play a goalkeeper who looks like hes not only still on his holidays but hes still ****** up from them?!

Starts Saturday our whole defence will be a nervous wreck.

Archived