onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

M6 Roadworks

Jacko51

Advert

Not Browns fault, this road was conceived and he toll to pay for it in the 80`s under that tyrant Thatcher. She and her cohorts saw a way of fleecing the public for profit ,as they do. still no need to execute thatcher as the witch is dead.

Yeh cos of course drivers are forced to use the M6 toll after all..it's not like there is an alternative like a non-toll M6 :doh:

If it were built as a way of fleecing the public it was a ****** stupid way

It is a huge job they're undertaking and the M6 is one of the busiest roads in Europe.

6 lanes and the 2 hard shoulders.

It takes time, to be fair to them, and it must stretch on and off for about 20 miles.

To get that job done in one night would take about 10 million workers working like the Keystone cops ;)

The Mass Pike is the same size (10 lanes + hard shoulder in places), its the main Interstate connecting Boston to NYC (via I84) out to Seattle. They appear to take the top road surface off for say 10 miles, clear equipment away then re-surface in sections that can be done in one night, the un-surfaced section remain open. I came home the other night and it appeared the 5th Panzer Division was on the move, never seen so much heavy equipment and bright lights in one place together with the omnipresent Police cars making sure traffic adheres to the speed limit and flows freely.

The Mass Pike is a toll road and some of the money pays for repairs, car road tax is also higher so in theory there's more money for road repairs hence the speed they can be done. Would say though Britain's roads are in better condition than those in the North East USA mainly due to the brutal winters.

Many aspects of this annoy me but one is that it seemed that the 40/50 mph speed limits you rightly get around road works to protect the workers were in place even though no one was working. So drivers slow down (to often well below the limit) and we all bunch up and end up crawling along.

There were also speed limits still in place on the M5 regarding an accident/incident that had happened hours earlier and been cleared up so again we all bunched up for no good reason

Triple Grrrrrr!!!!

Many aspects of this annoy me but one is that it seemed that the 40/50 mph speed limits you rightly get around road works to protect the workers were in place even though no one was working. So drivers slow down (to often well below the limit) and we all bunch up and end up crawling along.

There were also speed limits still in place on the M5 regarding an accident/incident that had happened hours earlier and been cleared up so again we all bunched up for no good reason

Triple Grrrrrr!!!!

It would hardly be practical to change hundreds of speed limit signs every time a shift started and ended, but of course rather typically you only view it from your own selfish perspective.

Which makes me rather amused you got caught in the traffic and had to wait hours, perhaps you could have used the time to reflect on taking a less blinkered self-opinionated view.

Any normal person would realise that the safety of those working in fast moving traffic is far more important than a few journies being delayed because people have to drive at a more reasonable speed.

It is a huge job they're undertaking and the M6 is one of the busiest roads in Europe.

6 lanes and the 2 hard shoulders.

It takes time, to be fair to them, and it must stretch on and off for about 20 miles.

To get that job done in one night would take about 10 million workers working like the Keystone cops ;)

Which of course we should do, close down the NHS, stop all benefits and foreign aid, and scrap Trident and HS2 in order to fund it, as we cant have a few selfish people being kept waiting for a few minutes or forced to drive at only 50mph instead of tearing up the speed limits.:rolleyes:

Just to keep everyone in the loop, I travelled to Birmingham and back today and not once did I see anyone working on the road, going at about 11.30 and coming back at 7.00.

The traffic this evening was horrendous. The queue for the M5 junction, as is its want, was back to the Toll Road and was surely taking the poor so and sos going to Devon for their hols about 45 minutes to get through that lot, if they were lucky.

Even when they tell you to use the hard shoulder you still get drivers hogging the two inside lanes for no good reason.

A lot of the problems are self inflicted.

I knew you all wanted to know that. Wasn't it Terry Wogan who used to have a cones hotline?

It would hardly be practical to change hundreds of speed limit signs every time a shift started and ended, but of course rather typically you only view it from your own selfish perspective.

And where did I suggest changing 100s of speed limit signs? I didn't..you've made it up..the speed limis were enforced by overhead electronic signs

Which makes me rather amused you got caught in the traffic and had to wait hours, perhaps you could have used the time to reflect on taking a less blinkered self-opinionated view

Must be nice being amused that my 82 year old mother in law was caught up in traffic for hours with us and the problems she had with that..I don't supposed it occurred to you that there might have been someone else with me. Idiot

Any normal person would realise that the safety of those working in fast moving traffic is far more important than a few journies being delayed because people have to drive at a more reasonable speed.

Comprehension deficiencies still fully in place I see. Any normal person would have read an understood my post in full

Here is what I posted "the 40/50 mph speed limits you rightly get around road works to protect the workers were in place even though no one was working"

Continue to embarrass yourself if you wish

Which of course we should do, close down the NHS, stop all benefits and foreign aid, and scrap Trident and HS2 in order to fund it, as we cant have a few selfish people being kept waiting for a few minutes or forced to drive at only 50mph instead of tearing up the speed limits.:rolleyes:

Do you not get the tens of 1000s of hours wasted by EVERYONE caught up in such roadworks, the environmental damage done and so on. Yes I was caught up in it and it's annoying but I'm just an example....you obviously are unable to see the wider picture that long running roadworks such as this cause when there seems to be long periods of no activity.

Just to keep everyone in the loop, I travelled to Birmingham and back today and not once did I see anyone working on the road, going at about 11.30 and coming back at 7.00.

The traffic this evening was horrendous.

You know you're just being selfish don't you ;)

I knew you all wanted to know that. Wasn't it Terry Wogan who used to have a cones hotline?

The cones hotline that I know of was set up by John Major..think it only lasted a couple of years

I go through the M6 once or month or so - mainly at the weekends and have never seen anyone do anything for a couple of years. This of course might be different during the week. Near me the M3 is also been "smarted" up but they do appear to be doing things every day. In addition to this A322 runs by my house and for the next two weeks between 8pm - 6am I have no guarrantee of being able to leave my house or get back to it.

Thanks Highways.

As for the M6 Toll. I love it. I think it was missold to the public. I see it as a payment to avoid the traffic rather than aleviate the congestion. If they swapped the fees from the Toll to the M6 thus making it a genuine congestion charge then the M6 Toll would be used far more than it is now. Travellers with no plans to stop in Birmingham could travel unhindered.

Ok a bit of a mad idea.

the major road works take place over night so they can close more lanes for over head works new cameras and signs to costly to remove and put back each day so only small amounts of work done in the day time.

There was an accident there on thursday and they closed part of the M6, it ended up taking me over six hours to get to Cardiff.

there were signs galore to say the motorway ahead was closed and it was clearly shown that the insde lane was the only one still open leading up to j12 I think it was where we had to leave the mtorway but did that stop people tanking down in the outside lanes right up to the bitter end?

They were actually laying cones in the outside lane to close the outer lanes off sooner and cars were changing lane until they were past the cone laying vehicle then going back into the otuside lane. One motorcyclist squeezed between a car and the cone laying vehicle at about 70 mph almost hitting the poor guy who was leaning out trying to lay the cones.

Predictably it was then jammed solid when the monkeys reached the point where the lanes were closed and they were forced to all move into the inside lane at once.

People are selfish and thick.

And where did I suggest changing 100s of speed limit signs? I didn't..you've made it up..the speed limis were enforced by overhead electronic signs

not all of them are electronic, I checked. I won't call you a liar, you are mistaken though.

Must be nice being amused that my 82 year old mother in law was caught up in traffic for hours with us and the problems she had with that..I don't supposed it occurred to you that there might have been someone else with me. Idiot

Remember recently you said Nigel Pearson had made up the story about being attacked by a wild animal? Could this be the same - however, on the small chance that there is a fraction of truth in it, the poor lady must have been at her wits end having extra time in the car with you probably moaning and bickering about everything from the colour of the speed limit signs to how you spell 'limit'.

As you knew about road problems in advance, wasn't it selfish and inconsiderate to force such an elderly lady to travel on this journey at this time?

Archived