Home Forum News History Predictions About Contact
Sign in to follow this  
Tone

What's the deal with Bury?

Bury have gates of 3,500. I guess that would go up in league 1. But it is said they have ambitions for the Championship. The sums don't stack up to start paying players a lot of money and their performance last season in gaining promotion was creditable but not storming through league 2 with a bunch of higher level and relatively highly paid players. Clubs are governed by financial fair play rules. We will see.

Bury have gates of 3,500. I guess that would go up in league 1. But it is said they have ambitions for the Championship. The sums don't stack up to start paying players a lot of money and their performance last season in gaining promotion was creditable but not storming through league 2 with a bunch of higher level and relatively highly paid players. Clubs are governed by financial fair play rules. We will see.

FFP? I'm not sure it means much at all. If the Bury owners are counting on getting to the Championship, the television money there is between 2 and 3 million (someone correct me if that is not accurate). It makes something of a difference to a club with gates of 3,500 at, say 12 quid average, which adds up to just short of 1 million, but slim pickings compared with 100 million for failing in the PL and 25 million for those who drop out (in the first season).

Clubs trying to follow in the footsteps of Hull, Swansea, Bournemouth, etc. have to adopt sensible financial policies unless they have billionaire owners content to pour millions down the drain (whilst flaunting FFP rules). Let's see how they get on and, indeed, how others continue to survive in competition with PL drop-outs and their parachute payments.

In the meantime, who can blame Smurf?

FFP? I'm not sure it means much at all. If the Bury owners are counting on getting to the Championship, the television money there is between 2 and 3 million (someone correct me if that is not accurate). It makes something of a difference to a club with gates of 3,500 at, say 12 quid average, which adds up to just short of 1 million, but slim pickings compared with 100 million for failing in the PL and 25 million for those who drop out (in the first season).

Clubs trying to follow in the footsteps of Hull, Swansea, Bournemouth, etc. have to adopt sensible financial policies unless they have billionaire owners content to pour millions down the drain (whilst flaunting FFP rules). Let's see how they get on and, indeed, how others continue to survive in competition with PL drop-outs and their parachute payments.

In the meantime, who can blame Smurf?

Let's be honest,teams that manage to come up from the Championship these days are unlikely to stay too long in the PL.It's becoming more of a closed shop than ever before,due to the massive amounts of TV money that the clubs accumulate.Good luck to Bournemouth,Watford and Norwich for the coming season,but I fear we will once again witness two of the three clubs coming straight back down.

My Bury mate tells me they've 8 investors prepared to stick in a few £mill between them. Who knows, their celeb fan Danny Boyle could do too. Their signings of the two Clarkes would have caused some on here to orgasm had it been us! They're going **** or bust it seems

My Bury mate tells me they've 8 investors prepared to stick in a few £mill between them. Who knows, their celeb fan Danny Boyle could do too. Their signings of the two Clarkes would have caused some on here to orgasm had it been us! They're going **** or bust it seems

Didn't Leyton Orient go **** or bust last season Cav?;)

8 investors ? Or 8 people getting loans secured against Gigg Lane ?

I have come to the conclusion that most of professional football and come to that any sport where money is connected is "Dodgy" .......I have never been so disillusioned, there has always been problems, laughable to think that years ago it was tea services that caused you to have to seek re election that caused controversy

Or where money is collected?The latest revelations concerning 'fat cat' charity bosses makes you wonder if money is being directed in the most deserving places?

not really interested in whatever deals are on the table for Tom, it's his choice and if he can earn more with another club then thanks for the memory and the very best of luck for the future.

not really interested in whatever deals are on the table for Tom, it's his choice and if he can earn more with another club then thanks for the memory and the very best of luck for the future.

But this is not a discussion about Tom (that is covered on another thread). This is about what on earth is going on at Bury that enables them to spend money like water.

But this is not a discussion about Tom (that is covered on another thread). This is about what on earth is going on at Bury that enables them to spend money like water.

Bury wont be the first club that went for broke and missed,Sunderland missed many years ago but the lesson will never be learned,luck will change as long as money lasts doesn't always ring true.