onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Norman Smurthwaite on BBC Radio Stoke, Monday 18th May

robf

What are you, the manager or the new commercial dept going to do to convince supporters to buy/renew season tickets for 2015/16 season?

I ask this question as it seems that the majority of reguarlar season ticket holders who have been attending for many years like myself, were hoping for a season of change, one where the club would finally start to build a decent team (similar to what the likes of Bornemouth have done over the last 6-8 years) as for many supporters last years squad, tactics and performances (the same sqaud that narrowly missed relegation I may add) were a massive let down, a squad of which in light the current retained list the club seem hell bent on trying to keep? while also bearing in mind that the budget has been cut so our better players the likes of Pope, Marshall and O'Connor (who we should be looking at pushing the boat out to keep) may move on and we don't have the budget for wages to replace them like for like, therefore, most supporters look at the coming season as one of fear of relegation, rather than a season where we should be looking at trying to achieve at least a top half of the table finish or perhaps have a proper go at the playoffs?

It's hardly the scenario that encourages supporters to part with what is for some is the best part of a 3rd of their monthly income.

Advert

Norman do you realise that any money that you are likely to save on the budget if you allow Tom Pope to leave will be swallowed up and more by lack of Season Ticket sales. Though you obviously don't realise it yet Tom is a vital part of Port Vale.

Are you not happy with the 10% you are currently getting? ;)

Norman what's your opinion on slightly weird infatuations grown men have with others? :laugh:

What are you, the manager or the new commercial dept going to do to convince supporters to buy/renew season tickets for 2015/16 season?

I ask this question as it seems that the majority of reguarlar season ticket holders who have been attending for many years like myself, were hoping for a season of change, one where the club would finally start to build a decent team (similar to what the likes of Bornemouth have done over the last 6-8 years) as for many supporters last years squad, tactics and performances (the same sqaud that narrowly missed relegation I may add) were a massive let down, a squad of which in light the current retained list the club seem hell bent on trying to keep? while also bearing in mind that the budget has been cut so our better players the likes of Pope, Marshall and O'Connor (who we should be looking at pushing the boat out to keep) may move on and we don't have the budget for wages to replace them like for like, therefore, most supporters look at the coming season as one of fear of relegation, rather than a season where we should be looking at trying to achieve at least a top half of the table finish or perhaps have a proper go at the playoffs?

It's hardly the scenario that encourages supporters to part with what is for some is the best part of a 3rd of their monthly income.

Pope this Pope that getting fed up of hearing all these Pope topics now the fact is Norman has set a budget of £1.7 m which is a competitive budget in this league its up to the Manager to distribute how he sees fit to certain players who he wants to keep etc

Not all the players will accept their deals offered and there maybe some re-negotiation to do with the ones he wants to keep enabling him to bring in replacements if needed

Most of the players have now gone on holiday so don't expect much to be sorted until the deadline date for accepting contracts up to 11th June

By withdrawing your support and not buying your season ticket will then dramatically effect the budget for next season.I understand that people don't want to watch the dross we suffered this season for another season but we have to give Page time to mould his own squad it's going to his team he puts together lets judge him in the first 8 weeks of the season as Norman will also do!!

I have neither of those positions,nor do I want them.I think we should have offloaded some more players but because I'm not the manager I couldn't.Comparing us to Bournemouth is a little bit silly.Massive investment has gone into that club.BTW they are £20million+ in debt to the owner's other companies.Good job they went up?

I have neither of those positions,nor do I want them.I think we should have offloaded some more players but because I'm not the manager I couldn't.Comparing us to Bournemouth is a little bit silly.Massive investment has gone into that club.BTW they are £20million+ in debt to the owner's other companies.Good job they went up?

Looks like I should have let Norman answer that question 1977.:laugh:

I wasn't actually comparing us to Bouremouth, I was making the point that there are teams out there that have built on the foundations of what they had in the previous season(s) but we don't ever seem to, we seem to take the stance 'if it ain't broke you don't need to fix it', however, as fans we can all see that it does need fixing and it's actually in quite a big way both on and off the field.

For the record I am buying as season ticket for season, but there are many that I know that won't until they see a change.

I wasn't actually comparing us to Bouremouth, I was making the point that there are teams out there that have built on the foundations of what they had in the previous season(s) but we don't ever seem to, we seem to take the stance 'if it ain't broke you don't need to fix it', however, as fans we can all see that it does need fixing and it's actually in quite a big way both on and off the field.

For the record I am buying as season ticket for season, but there are many that I know that won't until they see a change.

It turned out to be a poor season ,last season agreed.Things appear to be moving off the pitch.We are informed there is no debt to service.We cannot spend money we haven't got or won't be getting.Do you think it's ok for one man to keep ploughing money in?Find us a Russian,we'll be sorted.;)Why aren't Stoke challenging at the top?Their owners are worth over £2 Billion.Last 3 seasons,Promotion,9th in League 1,Manager **** off having spent /wasted £2.4 million.I do agree we should have had more of a clearout but I've also stated that should have been done the season before by Adams.Our budget is set at 60% of expected income,all donations gratefully received to increase it.Good lad for buying your ST v1977,every little helps.All of us who go together (6) have bought our STs.The alternative is decidedly more painful.(shopping,gardening):D

Better alternatives?

Watching paint dry?

Jeremy Kyle on TV? Sometimes he plumbs the depths and has stokies on!

I'll be there as well, so that's 8 of us.

My point to NS would be - should we not make a better effort to bring in 3 very good loan players (like Swindon, MK Dons, Crewe, etc. do) because (1) that will improve the first team and (2) save money on wages that we can use to pay a bit more on the other players?

Page must have some contacts after his career in the game.

I can't help feeling that our chances of bringing players in aren't being helped by the public negotiations between Tom Pope and NS. Potential targets might think twice about joining us if they read how we are allegedly treating our home grown "legend" so badly. The fact that all the squad have allegedly been given pay cuts won't help either...

Better alternatives?

Watching paint dry?

My point to NS would be - should we not make a better effort to bring in 3 very good loan players (like Swindon, MK Dons, Crewe, etc. do) because (1) that will improve the first team and (2) save money on wages that we can use to pay a bit more on the other players?

Ryan Inniss will do for starters.

Better alternatives?

Watching paint dry?

Question would be would Page actually play the loan signings straight away or make them wait a month or so on the bench or in the reserves before letting them loose on Vale Park turf?

...My point to NS would be - should we not make a better effort to bring in 3 very good loan players...

At this stage in the close season, how do you know what effort has been to bring in anybody? Why don't you just wait and see, like the rest of us? Personally, I'm hopeful that we will get some good players and new staff!

Archived