onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Norman Smurthwaite on BBC Radio Stoke, Monday 18th May

robf

I can't help feeling that our chances of bringing players in aren't being helped by the public negotiations between Tom Pope and NS. Potential targets might think twice about joining us if they read how we are allegedly treating our home grown "legend" so badly. The fact that all the squad have allegedly been given pay cuts won't help either...

I don't think potential signings will be bothered how the club manages its budget - they will simply want to know if what's on offer matches their demands, and whether they will be playing?

Advert

To Norman: 1.Do you think the moaners and groaners amongst the supporters will make up Tom Pope's wages to last season's level?

2. What effect does the pessimism and lack of ambition amongst supporters have on the team performances?

3. Thank you for everything you have done for the Vale. It is far more than we deserve.

My goodness, the several snide remarks aimed at Smurf are, in my opinion, uncalled for.

Smurf has set out his stall for season 2015-16 and player contracts have been sent out. Now we wait to see who will accept and what other additions will be added to the Squad.

What are you, the manager or the new commercial dept going to do to convince supporters to buy/renew season tickets for 2015/16 season?

I ask this question as it seems that the majority of reguarlar season ticket holders who have been attending for many years like myself, were hoping for a season of change, one where the club would finally start to build a decent team (similar to what the likes of Bornemouth have done over the last 6-8 years) as for many supporters last years squad, tactics and performances (the same sqaud that narrowly missed relegation I may add) were a massive let down, a squad of which in light the current retained list the club seem hell bent on trying to keep? while also bearing in mind that the budget has been cut so our better players the likes of Pope, Marshall and O'Connor (who we should be looking at pushing the boat out to keep) may move on and we don't have the budget for wages to replace them like for like, therefore, most supporters look at the coming season as one of fear of relegation, rather than a season where we should be looking at trying to achieve at least a top half of the table finish or perhaps have a proper go at the playoffs?

It's hardly the scenario that encourages supporters to part with what is for some is the best part of a 3rd of their monthly income.

Good question and to be honest the only one to be asked imo.

How does Vale`s budget compare with most of the clubs with similar gates in our division? Clubs with larger gates or good cup runs can afford larger wages, but the majority must be in a similar range as shown by the small difference in points spread below the top 6/7. Surely Norman is aware of our competitors` budgets and wage ranges players can expect in our division, both for the stars and the squad members? And of course the players and agents will be aware also. Only time will tell when they come back from their holidays.

Archived