onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Norman Smurthwaite on BBC Radio Stoke, Monday 18th May

robf

If we continue losing fans at the current rate we will not have a football club to support.

That's why throwing gestures like "I know where my season ticket money is going to be spent" doesn't cut the mustard. We are called the valiants for a reason for goodness sake, we don't shirk away when the going gets tough (Infact we don't even know times are tough yet, nothing has actually happened other than a dire retained list that no one has signed from). We need to stick by our club regardless, and however smurf irritates or gets on fans nerves, the man has put millions of pounds into our club FACT! He is with us and will stand beside us as the leader of our football club now and in the future.

Advert

Lose O'Connor, Marshall and Pope and sign 4 or 5 New players means three of them will simply be replacements for those players. Whereas keep those players by getting rid of some dross, and the new players will be a real addition to the team.

He said 4 or 5 PLUS all those offered contracts, so I assume if the three don't sign that will be 7 or 8. He also said any new players or loans must improve the first team and not be bench warmers which makes a refreshing change.

I don't think it's a fair challenge. In fact it's complete nonsense and reinforces that Smurf still doesn't really get football as a business. The idea that blaming the fans will increase ticket sales is barmy! He sounded just like Adams.

Do I want Pope to stay at any cost? Absolutely not. A well run club is vital and I would not want to see us over extended.

Will I be buying a season ticket. Absolutely. But not everyone will be so resolute. The fact that listening to Smurf even made me think about not getting one is an indicative of Smurfs poor PR ability. Will his appearance on Radio Stoke cost season ticket money? Sadly yes I think it will.

Smurf had the opportunity to generate some enthusiasm for next season. Unfortunately it was a missed opportunity. Instead it looks like we will lose Pope & Marshall. O'Connor may stay. Inniss looks possible. Beyond that it looks at the moment like next season will be a struggle.

I truly hope Page has got some good contacts to bring in the 2/3 quality players need to either remain in League 1 or if he can get 4/5 then to be looking higher up the league.

I'm glad you will be there malc. Nothing as of yet has happened, pope hasn't left, neither has oakey or Marshall. When the time comes and when things become a little clearer is when, page as a manager, has to show his colours and evolve our football club by whatever means necessary.

He said 4 or 5 PLUS all those offered contracts, so I assume if the three don't sign that will be 7 or 8. He also said any new players or loans must improve the first team and not be bench warmers which makes a refreshing change.

But why make problems for yourself? I am not asking Norman to dig any deeper Pope says he is happy to take a cut so just do what is necessary to keep the best players and lose a few of the 'nearly men' to stay within the budget.

Looks like a major rebuild as many of the players will be gone. Smurf seems to want fans to dig deep and finance the club as he seems to have lost the stomach to invest further. He will give Page until September then he could be fired by which time a new manager would be bought in to work miracles with Pages players!

Then he will have to pay Page compensation because he gave him a 2 year deal. Norman you need some help here me thinks!

I genuinely believe Norman will step in if he thinks Page isn't getting it right.

I personally think Norman has got the club onto an even keel

I also believe he cares about the club as much, if not more than, the fans and it is first and foremost a desire to see the club succeed that is paramount in his thoughts.

I just wish when talking to the media he would talk the club up. I submitted a question via OVF that was designed to give him the opportunity to do just that. But when asked what encouragement he could give ST holders to renew he took it as a criticism and went defensive. A good Marketing Manager would have given a Churchillian speech of 'moving he'll and high water to keep our best players and bringing in some new players that will be better than what we currently have and will strengthen our weaker positions'

Although as a tactician and strategist he may well be strong he needs to remember that PR played a big role in winning the war.

Norman stated that Pope had made a good living for the last two years on a salary far above what it should have been for a club trying to live within it's means. With the new contracts offered, he would still be the top earner at the club. Is he worthy of that? Some would say yes. Some would say no. I would like him to stay but it would not be the end of the world if he left. After all, as I have said before 17 teams finished higher than us in League 1 last season, and they all achieved that without Tom Pope. If he goes or stays, I feel sure that we will see a new striker or strikers signed before the new season. We must hope that Page's judgement is good but as we all know there is no guarantee. Rotherham found that out when they signed Tom Pope !!!

Tim. Quite the contrary. Norman said that he will finance the £1.7m budget even if there was only one season ticket sold. That sounds like a good commitment in my eyes.

So reversing roles if I was in Page's position and heard that I would know there is room and flexibility to get Norman to double the budget :D

The maybe was to post 117. I'm quite sure that if we generated much more income through the gate (which seems unlikely) then money would be made available as the season progresses. But I am equally sure that it would have to be self financed by the support, not Norman.

Archived