onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Norman Smurthwaite on BBC Radio Stoke, Monday 18th May

robf

The maybe was to post 117. I'm quite sure that if we generated much more income through the gate (which seems unlikely) then money would be made available as the season progresses. But I am equally sure that it would have to be self financed by the support, not Norman.

If we have a good first half to the season and even if crowds increase I think Norman would still invest further from his personal fortune to sign New players in January.

As I have posted before I think he has been a very unlucky Chairman so far in that when he really needs a performance on the pitch he doesn't get it.

Being knocked out of the FA Cup when we did and on at least three occasions when above average crowds were enticed in the performances were dire.

There is still a ground swell of support for the club waiting to be enticed back but it's only through results and good PR that will get them back.

A John McGrath 'we are taking that many fans the last one leaving Burslem will need to turn the lights out' type of PR.

It maybe bullshot but hype sells.

Advert

Totally underwhelmed!

I'm sorry but Smurf talks in riddles. Do you want Pope to Stay? Well I'd be sorry if he left. It sounded to me that he couldn't care less.

Rob is the manager! Then why is it Smurf who is talking to the Palace owner? Then again shouldn't it be the Palace manager Pardew that he should be in contact with?

On the subject of ST sales it's a chance for the fans to get cheap admission costs. Thank you, thank you Norman for being so kind. Lets get real without the revenue of Season Tickets the summer would be a long and financially scary one.

Why is he still in contact with MA and why the need to tell us about it?

'I won't talk to agents'. Well as virtually all players have one he isn't going to be doing much talking!

Tonight has done little to allay my fears for the club's future.

Totally underwhelmed!

I'm sorry but Smurf talks in riddles. Do you want Pope to Stay? Well I'd be sorry if he left. It sounded to me that he couldn't care less.

Rob is the manager! Then why is it Smurf who is talking to the Palace owner? Then again shouldn't it be the Palace manager Pardew that he should be in contact with?

On the subject of ST sales it's a chance for the fans to get cheap admission costs. Thank you, thank you Norman for being so kind. Lets get real without the revenue of Season Tickets the summer would be a long and financially scary one.

Why is he still in contact with MA and why the need to tell us about it?

'I won't talk to agents'. Well as virtually all players have one he isn't going to be doing much talking!

Tonight has done little to allay my fears for the club's future.

You are dying to get that coffin out again aren't you?:rolleyes:

You are dying to get that coffin out again aren't you?:rolleyes:
Not in the least. It's his club and that is the end of the matter. The fact that he hasn't a clue how to run one is something that I have absolutely no control of but I certainly don't have to like it.

I genuinely believe Norman will step in if he thinks Page isn't getting it right.

I personally think Norman has got the club onto an even keel

I also believe he cares about the club as much, if not more than, the fans and it is first and foremost a desire to see the club succeed that is paramount in his thoughts.

I just wish when talking to the media he would talk the club up. I submitted a question via OVF that was designed to give him the opportunity to do just that. But when asked what encouragement he could give ST holders to renew he took it as a criticism and went defensive. A good Marketing Manager would have given a Churchillian speech of 'moving he'll and high water to keep our best players and bringing in some new players that will be better than what we currently have and will strengthen our weaker positions'

Although as a tactician and strategist he may well be strong he needs to remember that PR played a big role in winning the war.

In respect of the first line of your post, my response would be "again!?!"! If Page flops, are the same excuses for another manager being peddled out again this time next year? It's madness. Smurf should take a step back, look at the last 8 or 9 months, stop thinking about the managers wage and consider whether he backs the gaffer to the absolute hilt. If he doesn't then let's not go through the same mess again when it goes wrong and we have another year of tenuous deadlines; of which Page is now on his third (especially on the face of it, he hasn't earned the deal). On that basis I'm concerned the next manager, after Page, will be in place saying "I'm stuck with Page's squad". I'd rather he back a more seasoned manager to build a team (Darren Ferguson for one), rather than punt on an untried, inexperienced manager.

I think Smurf is treading water because he isn't getting the right advice from the right people, or at least that's my presumption. If John Rudge publicly said "Page has got it" then I'd be happy. I know I keep going back to it, but I can't get past Smurf's "I don't know anything about football" stance.

In respect of the first line of your post, my response would be "again!?!"! If Page flops, are the same excuses for another manager being peddled out again this time next year? It's madness. Smurf should take a step back, look at the last 8 or 9 months, stop thinking about the managers wage and consider whether he backs the gaffer to the absolute hilt. If he doesn't then let's not go through the same mess again when it goes wrong and we have another year of tenuous deadlines; of which Page is now on his third (especially on the face of it, he hasn't earned the deal). On that basis I'm concerned the next manager, after Page, will be in place saying "I'm stuck with Page's squad". I'd rather he back a more seasoned manager to build a team (Darren Ferguson for one), rather than punt on an untried, inexperienced manager.

I think Smurf is treading water because he isn't getting the right advice from the right people, or at least that's my presumption. If John Rudge publicly said "Page has got it" then I'd be happy. I know I keep going back to it, but I can't get past Smurf's "I don't know anything about football" stance.

Yep fair comment that.

When Page's appointment was first announced the bit that saw my jaw drop was the ... he's got till the end of September...

So my initial reaction was there must be a get out clause in the contract, but for that to work it would have to be in every players New contract too otherwise it's as you say we are back to the .... it's not my team scenario.

TBH I'm baffled with the two year deal and even more baffled with the across the board contract offers that see our best players set to leave in order to keep a whole load of very average squad players.

Like all fans I am desperate to see this all pan out that we do keep Pope, Marshall, O'Connor and add quality like Innis but it's a rum way of getting there.

I genuinely believe Norman will step in if he thinks Page isn't getting it right.

I personally think Norman has got the club onto an even keel

I also believe he cares about the club as much, if not more than, the fans and it is first and foremost a desire to see the club succeed that is paramount in his thoughts.

I just wish when talking to the media he would talk the club up. I submitted a question via OVF that was designed to give him the opportunity to do just that. But when asked what encouragement he could give ST holders to renew he took it as a criticism and went defensive. A good Marketing Manager would have given a Churchillian speech of 'moving he'll and high water to keep our best players and bringing in some new players that will be better than what we currently have and will strengthen our weaker positions'

Although as a tactician and strategist he may well be strong he needs to remember that PR played a big role in winning the war.

Dave

2 years after taking over. Again. I'm as unimpressed as I ever was.

He still creates a very negative picture of what he perceives of the fans. He's always the victim.

I challenge anyone who listened to actually say that they feel any better about next season than they did at 6pm.

Dave

2 years after taking over. Again. I'm as unimpressed as I ever was.

He still creates a very negative picture of what he perceives of the fans. He's always the victim.

I challenge anyone who listened to actually say that they feel any better about next season than they did at 6pm.

Absolutely agree Alan. Perhaps Norman should ask himself would he have made the profit he did with projects if he had been fronting them.

There is a very obvious need for an experienced PR Manager.

He is his own worse enemy at times but he doesn't seem to understand that positive criticism is not personal criticism.

=old sage;2122350]Not in the least. It's his club and that is the end of the matter. The fact that he hasn't a clue how to run one is something that I have absolutely no control of but I certainly don't have to like it.

Well on that basis you continue to moan and l take no notice and l continue to run the Club so you can continue to moan

Any chance of giving Norman some credit for yet again going live on air to address fans' concerns?

I don't recall any of our previous chairmen availing themselves for radio.

You may not like what he says but at least you get to hear it straight.

Seriously, how many other chairmen are willing to do this - and outside of the season too?

Thankfully at least two callers expressed their gratitude for his efforts.

Archived