onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Norman Smurthwaite on BBC Radio Stoke, Monday 18th May

robf

Do people realise when smurf knocks the fans it's the ones that only come when we are top of the league and not the 4000 die hards

I don't think they do, which is part of the problem! I also think it is a poor PR strategy to critisise any of your customers, they give you money!

Advert

My thoughts exactly like you BHW I shall pay on the gate next term. I just hope that the ticket office is working efficiently otherwise many will stay at home especially on cold midweek nights when a warm fire and the Champions League proves a more attractive proposition.

Booooo! Part time supporters:whiteflag::whiteflag::)

i want to get away from the hoof ball we always play with Pope, there are other strikers out there just some Vale fans dont like change he is unlikely to repeat his 33 goals again most strikers when they have a good season rarely do

A fit pope will get 20 goals next season.Thats 81 goals in 4 seasons,replace that.

I know Smurf isn't beyond criticism, I've criticised him myself but you have to draw the line. We are just fans, not shareholders etc anymore and we have a choice, support the team or not. Put in context, we all complained when Smurf did the Premier League striker thing, but threatening to not renew your season ticket is doing the same thing.

We never had a say when we were shareholders :laugh:

Not sure of anyone is "threatening" not to renew. Why is it a threat? Surely its just a choice.

We've had for 4 ST's for years and personally I've had one for perhaps 30 but a change of personal circumstances AND a lack of desire to watch every game next season means that I won't be a renewing.

Does that make me a bad person?

Not sure of anyone is "threatening" not to renew. Why is it a threat? Surely its just a choice.

We've had for 4 ST's for years and personally I've had one for perhaps 30 but a change of personal circumstances AND a lack of desire to watch every game next season means that I won't be a renewing.

Just so long as you don't want me get you a Priority ticket for the Play off final I'll let you off. :D

I don't think they do, which is part of the problem! I also think it is a poor PR strategy to critisise any of your customers, they give you money!

It's abysmal! I see in the paper our rivals in schools giving out free tickets & even training tops/shirts to kids.. We need a big drive on getting kids involved at Vale.. Otherwise the small fan base will eventually die out with the big TV event it has become over generations now

I think that Smurf was put in an incredibly difficult position by Blakeman and RS last night.

From the opening montage and the opening question: "what disappointed you about last season?", Smurf was already on the defensive and the overall tone for the hour was set.

From the bits I heard, admittedly not all of it, Smurf did his best to answer the questions that I have seen posted on here a thousand times before, and usually from the same posters. Like others have said, give the man at least a bit of credit for fronting up and being honest, and not hiding like those incumbents of dark days past.

For the first time in about 15 years, next seaon I shall be in a position where I could attend every game.

Will I get a season ticket? Probably not.

Will I attend as many games as I can based on disposable income and other priorities? More than likely.

Will I chuck my toys out of the pram because Tom Pope may not sign? Absolutely not.

Pope's current wage is pure speculation .... but lets make an assumption that he's on 150k a year (my guess is he's probably on a little more based on he'll still be a top earner after he has taken a pay cut of over 50%), that's nearly 10% of our budget. First game of the season he breaks his leg, that's a big slice of the budget to have sitting in the stands all season. I'm a big fan of Pope, look back 3 or 4 years I was an advocate of signing him after an unconvincing loan spell, I said at the time I thought he would out score Richards if played as the main centre-forward. I do think its a massive risk spending such a large percentage of your budget on one player. If you could guarantee he would stay 100% fit it would I'd say it was a risk worth taking ... but if he only manages 20 games next season .....

I think that Smurf was put in an incredibly difficult position by Blakeman and RS last night.

From the opening montage and the opening question: "what disappointed you about last season?", Smurf was already on the defensive and the overall tone for the hour was set.

From the bits I heard, admittedly not all of it, Smurf did his best to answer the questions that I have seen posted on here a thousand times before, and usually from the same posters. Like others have said, give the man at least a bit of credit for fronting up and being honest, and not hiding like those incumbents of dark days past.

For the first time in about 15 years, next seaon I shall be in a position where I could attend every game.

Will I get a season ticket? Probably not.

Will I attend as many games as I can based on disposable income and other priorities? More than likely.

Will I chuck my toys out of the pram because Tom Pope may not sign? Absolutely not.

Well said.

I'm not sure good/ bad person comes into it does it?

Of course it's a threat, it's a poor man's starve 'em out. Like I say, some haven't been able to get over the V2001/ MOLD protests and simply have to complain all the ****ing time. We're Vale fans and support the club, which means the chairman, manager, and players. Obviously they come and go and that doesn't mean we just chuck our toys out of the pram every time things don't run perfectly.

I'm not sure good/ bad person comes into it does it?

Of course it's a threat, it's a poor man's starve 'em out. Like I say, some haven't been able to get over the V2001/ MOLD protests and simply have to complain all the ****ing time. We're Vale fans and support the club, which means the chairman, manager, and players. Obviously they come and go and that doesn't mean we just chuck our toys out of the pram every time things don't run perfectly.

Agreed. I spat my dummy out over Page. But I have thought long and hard and its about the club that I have supported for over 30 year and supporting it through good and bad time. I have my ST for next year and will do the year after and the year after and so on.

Archived