onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tues 14th Apr 2015, Scunthorpe U v Port Vale, pre-match, the match itself.

Fosse69

One of my main concerns over Page long-term is the basic attitude of 'if we've played well, keep the same team'. Keeping a winning team, playing the same way is a archaic notion in modern football. Fair enough if you think the 11 you picked are the best ones to beat your next opponents, but we are heading in to a completely different game tomorrow night, against a side in a similar position to us who don't play the same style of football and don't have the quality of player that MK Dons have (Even if that wasn't particularly apparent on Saturday afternoon). Why would you keep things the same as the team you played last? I find the whole idea of keeping the same team a baffling concept. Pick a team based on who you're playing, not who you played last. Pretty simple stuff.

As for tomorrow, they're a more physical team at the back. I'd probably bring Pope in for this one at the expense of Williamson. I thought Williamson had one of his better games on Saturday but they're big at the back and Williamson bounces off the smallest of defenders so I don't think this'll be the game for him. We're struggling on the wings and I don't trust Coulibaly yet to do the tracking back required for 90 minutes. He looks more of an impact player. The key will be getting Dodds and Marshall to get early balls in the box hoping to catch their defenders off guard. If Pope can make a nuisance of himself, then there will be chances for Campion to feed off. They have dangerous players in Madden and an ageing McSheffrey but if we've game planned properly then we should be able to handle their threats.

Advert

One of my main concerns over Page long-term is the basic attitude of 'if we've played well, keep the same team'. Keeping a winning team, playing the same way is a archaic notion in modern football. Fair enough if you think the 11 you picked are the best ones to beat your next opponents, but we are heading in to a completely different game tomorrow night, against a side in a similar position to us who don't play the same style of football and don't have the quality of player that MK Dons have (Even if that wasn't particularly apparent on Saturday afternoon). Why would you keep things the same as the team you played last? I find the whole idea of keeping the same team a baffling concept. Pick a team based on who you're playing, not who you played last. Pretty simple stuff.

As for tomorrow, they're a more physical team at the back. I'd probably bring Pope in for this one at the expense of Williamson. I thought Williamson had one of his better games on Saturday but they're big at the back and Williamson bounces off the smallest of defenders so I don't think this'll be the game for him. We're struggling on the wings and I don't trust Coulibaly yet to do the tracking back required for 90 minutes. He looks more of an impact player. The key will be getting Dodds and Marshall to get early balls in the box hoping to catch their defenders off guard. If Pope can make a nuisance of himself, then there will be chances for Campion to feed off. They have dangerous players in Madden and an ageing McSheffrey but if we've game planned properly then we should be able to handle their threats.

One problem.....there's no chance of Pope starting. He looked about half-fit on Saturday. I'd stick with what we started with on Satdee, but put Coulibaly on from the off. Williamson looked far more effective when out wide and Campion won more headers in 90 minutes than BW does in 6 games.

One problem.....there's no chance of Pope starting. He looked about half-fit on Saturday. I'd stick with what we started with on Satdee, but put Coulibaly on from the off. Williamson looked far more effective when out wide and Campion won more headers in 90 minutes than BW does in 6 games.

Definitely

Page has a few hard decisions to make.

You'd be tempted to say 'same again' but it was a tough afternoon for the players, who ran their socks off, and he might also be thinking of Friday night's game (equally as hard).

I wonder if another 3 days rest might help Pope to edge towards getting fitter. Certainly we do have a few lads who could come in and play their part - Culibaly, Birchall, McGivern among them. He might want to chop and change 3-4 to freshen it up.

Personally I wouldn't. I'd worry about Friday on Wednesday morning (not before) and I'd tell the same team to go out and perform again as they did against MKDons. It's another difficult game but we have a better chance there than on Friday night I think.

You are right- we cant worry about PNE and 'save' resources. Much as the Preston game means to me due to my location etc. it is clearly obvious that Scunthorpe is more important as we could lose both if not careful.

Get 3 pts at Scunny and the job is all but done - and if we beat Garner's mob then fine, in fact wonderful - but there is a better chance of points at Sunthorpe, even one would be useful and possibly crucial in the end.

Pope is clearly not ready and shouldn't start, but maybe give everyone a lift by being a late sub.

UTV.

Presumably Coulibaly will replace OConnor as the latter can't play 2 matches in 4 days. If OConnor starts what does that tell us about Pages previous comments?

Nothing much more than the fact that, like all of us, he can change his mind ? Managers say virtually anything post-match and he isn't guilty of some of the rubbish the likes of Mourinho and Wenger and even Ferguson have sprouted in the past.

Archived