onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Lines v Dodds

tonyh

The 2 game when Dodds has been top class were Fleetwood and Morecambe, the rest of his performances have varied from dismal to decent. Over 240 games he has not performed at the level needed. People moan about Wiliamsons goal average but when you are an attackive midfielder/ striker, winger, well who knows? Even after 240 games and only scored 14 goals. The odd good game but most of the time the game drifts past him.

Half the problem with Lines is the fans expectation, he is probably our most gifted player but doesn't always perform so fans do get on his back. 3 goals in 52 games is roughly the same average as Dodds for a more defensive midfielder.

Advert

The two best away games I can remember of recent years were Fleetwood and Boxing Day at Rotherham. Dodds starred in both. (As usual, he was the first to get dropped, when the team lost).

Pope struggled playing for Rotherham and early days at Vale, when paired with Richards. If Dodds is so bad, how come our managers keep extending his contract? He signed for us in 2008. He's now on his fifth Vale manager. 7, if you count Grew and Horsfield.

I'm expecting to go to his testimonial in 3 years time !!

You've picked out 2 in well over 200 games, I reckon given the chance I could perform in two ;)

He's a good utility player but not good enough to be a consistent first team regular as has been proven by all the managers you mention.

The 2 game when Dodds has been top class were Fleetwood and Morecambe, the rest of his performances have varied from dismal to decent. Over 240 games he has not performed at the level needed. People moan about Wiliamsons goal average but when you are an attackive midfielder/ striker, winger, well who knows? Even after 240 games and only scored 14 goals. The odd good game but most of the time the game drifts past him.

Half the problem with Lines is the fans expectation, he is probably our most gifted player but doesn't always perform so fans do get on his back. 3 goals in 52 games is roughly the same average as Dodds for a more defensive midfielder.

He's scored 46 goals in 269 games hasn't he? So 1 in 6. No too bad, considering he's played mainly in midfield.

Can you argue that many of the team's better results have been achieved with the much maligned Louis in the team?

How many players have been mediocre at one club yet blossom after a move. I am totally sincere when I say that Louis could be successful at a higher level. A lot depends on if a manager likes you.

Dodds was average in league 2, been poor for the majority of league 1, Im shocked that you think Dodds could play in the championship, a player who every manager seems to bench.

Clearly there is a debate about the merits of the two players, as shown above. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But they are two different kinds of player and comparing them is problematical because they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Dodds has scored twice as many goals in roughly the same number of appearances, whereas many would say that Lines' range of passing and forward runs are better. I think Dodds has improved his work-rate and defensive work quite a lot in the past 12 months and I'd rate him as a harder worker than Lines. Lines is supposed to be a deadball king but often flatters to deceive.

It depends on the system we are playing, what the manager wants and who is in form. Both are assets to the squad and I'm happy to let Page decide from week to week who he wants in his starting XI.

Dodds and Lines' scoring ratios are very different. Based on their games for the Vale, Lines has scored just 4 goals in 62 appearances (so just one every 15 games or so) whereas Dodds has scored 45 in 265 appearances (so one more or less every 6 games). I was surprised by these stats but they show that if you want a return on your money in terms of goals, Dodds is your man. Probably the finest striker of a ball at the club imho.

It's a team game and posters on here are getting worked up about who's best etc, we are who we are and we go with what we've got and we aren't doing bad after a poor start so I can't understand what the fuss is about. Of course there are better players playing in this division and so in all the divisions, better performing teams as well but we can't have everything, I'm happy with a gradual improvement and the way I look at things is that we could have sneaked a point at swindle and with their home record and free scoring ability is an improvement on what's gone before, just an old mans opinion fellas,just an old mans opinion.:yes:

The 2 game when Dodds has been top class were Fleetwood and Morecambe, the rest of his performances have varied from dismal to decent. Over 240 games he has not performed at the level needed. People moan about Wiliamsons goal average but when you are an attackive midfielder/ striker, winger, well who knows? Even after 240 games and only scored 14 goals.

Have I missed something? Dodds' career stats show that he's scored 45 goals in 269 appearances for the Vale, many of them as sub. That's a respectable one goal in every six games or so, not bad for a player who's been asked to play in so many different positions.

Have I missed something? Dodds' career stats show that he's scored 45 goals in 269 appearances for the Vale, many of them as sub. That's a respectable one goal in every six games or so, not bad for a player who's been asked to play in so many different positions.

As I said earlier, in my view it's about who is most effective not necessarily the best, and Doddsy for me has the edge. Better goals ratio, more assists, and more versatile as a squad member. That said, can also see us thriving with both in the team.

Archived