onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Lines v Dodds

tonyh

Advert

You've posted alot on this subject, without actually giving any evidence for or against Lines. So, please could you talk through Lines' strong points please?

I'm going to ignore 'he's been promoted from this league before' as that is totally irrelevant. Clayton McDonald got promoted from L2 with us (whilst being a part of the side that got us to those heights) yet he's just been released from Grimbsy. I'm not comparing the two players, before someone mentions it, just pointing out that the 'got promoted from this league' bit is a bit null and void.

I do like Chris Lines, he has quality - but he certainly wouldn't be the first name on my team sheet. People loathe Dodds for his inconsistency, but for me Lines is just as inconsistent. If we are going to continue playing the 'number 10' role, I think you need both

For me it's Lines' ability to carry the ball and burst through midfield with pace that makes things happen. O'Connor you want spraying balls around and putting himself about, but when Lines picks up a lose ball on the move and carries it 20 yards, it leads to a chance.

For me it's Lines' ability to carry the ball and burst through midfield with pace that makes things happen. O'Connor you want spraying balls around and putting himself about' date=' but when Lines picks up a lose ball on the move and carries it 20 yards, it leads to a chance.[/quote']

I agree with that but he does it so rarely unfortunately. We know that he has the capability to make those defence splitting runs at speed but he seems at times not to even be bothered about doing it.

I agree with that but he does it so rarely unfortunately. We know that he has the capability to make those defence splitting runs at speed but he seems at times not to even be bothered about doing it.

Both players for me are far too inconsistent and don't seem 'up for it' for half the games they play.

Every one has opinions and some differ we know that but do you honestly think that Dodds is a better player than Lines?
If you want my honest opinion then OK here goes. I think Louis has had a rather raw deal over his time at the Vale. His ability is far superior to many others who seem to just need to turn up to be selected.

If one cares to look back Doddsie has been a part of most of Vale's better performances yet when the team is struggling he is the first to be hauled off time after time.

People will mock but I believe that Louis could play at a higher level because he can pick a pass, has provided plenty of assists compared to the time he has been on the pitch, he works far harder than he gets credit for and he is a decent finisher.

I thought TonyH's opening summary was very fair and reasonable. Those who can only say a player is rubbish or not of the standard for League 1 are not adding anything to the debate and show the weakness of their arguments. I fully agree with Old Sage's summary of Dodds as a valuable member of the squad.

It's a team game and each member of the team has to compliment the others so it's pointless making out that one player is better than another, anything else and it's a short cut to the drop. Page has us playing like a team, more so than when Micky was in charge so chill out,way onner doin bad after the atrocious start way ad.

If you want my honest opinion then OK here goes. I think Louis has had a rather raw deal over his time at the Vale. His ability is far superior to many others who seem to just need to turn up to be selected.

If one cares to look back Doddsie has been a part of most of Vale's better performances yet when the team is struggling he is the first to be hauled off time after time.

People will mock but I believe that Louis could play at a higher level because he can pick a pass, has provided plenty of assists compared to the time he has been on the pitch, he works far harder than he gets credit for and he is a decent finisher.

Nico Jalink could have played at a higher level ;)

Dodds won't.

Sorry OS but your point flues in the face of the facts. If he was as good as you believe, he'd have been a regular starter or he'd have been picked up by some one else.

You suggest that he does well in the short time he gets on the pitch- there's a reason for that!

The Pope thing I sort of get but the Dodds obsession is bizarre

Sorry OS but your point flues in the face of the facts. If he was as good as you believe, he'd have been a regular starter or he'd have been picked up by some one else.

You suggest that he does well in the short time he gets on the pitch- there's a reason for that!

The Pope thing I sort of get but the Dodds obsession is bizarre

Can you argue that many of the team's better results have been achieved with the much maligned Louis in the team?

How many players have been mediocre at one club yet blossom after a move. I am totally sincere when I say that Louis could be successful at a higher level. A lot depends on if a manager likes you.

Can you argue that many of the team's better results have been achieved with the much maligned Louis in the team?

How many players have been mediocre at one club yet blossom after a move. I am totally sincere when I say that Louis could be successful at a higher level. A lot depends on if a manager likes you.

How many of the team's poorer results have also involved Dodds. Indeed one season he was a first team regular we endured our worst season in living memory.

He's worked for a host of managers here and in the main has failed to be a key member of the team.

How many of the team's poorer results have also involved Dodds. Indeed one season he was a first team regular we endured our worst season in living memory.

He's worked for a host of managers here and in the main has failed to be a key member of the team.

The two best away games I can remember of recent years were Fleetwood and Boxing Day at Rotherham. Dodds starred in both. (As usual, he was the first to get dropped, when the team lost).

Pope struggled playing for Rotherham and early days at Vale, when paired with Richards. If Dodds is so bad, how come our managers keep extending his contract? He signed for us in 2008. He's now on his fifth Vale manager. 7, if you count Grew and Horsfield.

I'm expecting to go to his testimonial in 3 years time !!

Archived