onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Lines v Dodds

tonyh

Lines...slows the play

I agree with this. When he receives the ball he will often just stand with it for a few seconds, seemingly taking in his options (.....or maybe, subliminally, giving out the message "Everyone look at me, I'm on the ball!?!) :rolleyes:

I also agree with much of Lady Vale's post - Lines offers next to nothing defensively, and although he can be very good bursting forward he doesn't produce it anything like enough.

I think there's been a bit of over-hyping in the media (mainly the clowns on Radio Stoke) when referring to Lines & O'Connor as the best central midfield in the division.

Advert

This topic is making me laugh. Everytime Lines is mentioned there's a few thumbs up. Every time Dodds is mentioned there's thumbs down. And you can't say that this is because more people support Lines, it's because there's a few people going through all the comments - the same few that like to put Dodds down every week.

My opinion is that Dodds is a much better player. I'm really sorry but I don;t see what Lines offers. He's a tall lad but has no strength whatsoever. He can't play a holding role (as evident at the start of the season), and we can all see that the O'Connor/Brown partnership is far better.

So if he isn't that kind of midfielder, what kind is he?

Well, some have argued that you 'can't compare the two' because they're not the same kind of player. Well, I think they are. In fact, they're probably the two most alike players at the club.

I've not got anything against Lines, on his day he can be a good player - just like Dodds. His surging runs are all some talk about, but apart from the odd good free kick he doesn't offer a whole lot.

Dodds is the better passer, and the better finisher, and has better vision - but that's not to say that Chris doesn't have these qualities either. In fact, he's a very good passer of the ball when he wants to be.

My point is - they're both good players and, due to their inconsistency, I think you need both. Dodds is in a bit of form at the moment so he would get the shirt for me but once he drops off then Chris Lines will come in - fresh - for a few good games, before falling out of form and being replaced by a rejuvinated Dodds.

In my starting 11, I would always name either one of them behind the lone striker. If they have an ineffective first half I would sub them at half time, but if they have a good half chances are they are the most influential player on the pitch.

REP some posters have been slamming Williamson for not scoring enough yet Dodds goalscoring contribution is miles better than Lines during the time they have been at the club.

Have to say that when they are good they are very good and when not I believe we still get a shift out of Dodds in covering back whereas Lines has cost us goals by letting his man go.

What football have you been watching? Or are you just trolling? Because you really are chatting complete *****.

I've been relieved by the thoughtful discussion on this issue, from both sides. However, this leads me to conclude that you've run out of valid points.:D

Archived