onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Posh 3 Vale 1 - Post Match Comments

melv

Apparently he and another player were told don't bother turning up today.

To be fair I've not seen lines have a good game yet, have you?

We need a defensive coach never mind new players, we have a great squad and you can only question the managers tactics, home games I've seen... We've only played in the 1st 15 and last 20 mins... Not good enough Micky Adams.... Maybe Grew taking a back seat this term is having an affect? I can't think why when we have signed real quality, we've seem to have gone backwards?!?!? Doesn't make sense

Advert

I listened to the game on Valiant Player and THJValiant's summary was very much as the commentary described it without the remarks about Pope. Two of Peterborough's goals were good strikes, Vale played well.

I went to the game, and I can confirm we did not play well.

I spent the game sat in with the PB fans because I was with a friend from down there. Good time before the game with good beers and I didn't have any expectation because of the way we've been playing. First half we played well. Kept the ball, very little long ball with Marshall and Moore looking dangerous without us creating many clear cut chances. We also kept them at bay except for one moment where Robertson was wrong footed and we did well to stop a goal following his mistake. Pope went down too easily a few times and seemed to spend more time complaining than getting on with it. The first goal was very poor defending. I thought Dicko left the man free and from a direct throw in their player volleyed it over Neal. The goal created some pressure but nothing serious before half time.

In the second half we made changes but came out on the back foot again and the Vale goal led a charmed life. Just when you thought the pressure was over and we started to get into the game, then came the killer blow. I thought the free kick was unlucky because their player handled the ball before he went down, because it was right in front of me. The free kick came in from the right and the whole defensive line stood still and three of their players lined up to score totally unmarked. Shambolic defending.

The third was good forward play shielding the ball on the right from Dicko (don't know why he was over there?) then laying it off for a rocket shot. A goal worthy of the entrance money.

Marshall was MOTM for me and Moore did ok until he tired, Pope was well handled. The defence were poor as a collective, and have to cut out these poor lapses. Brown and Jennings did ok and put themselves about. OConnor was invisible. Dodds did ok when he came on . Williamson had little chance to shine. Slew has enough to look like a good player is in there. Scored with virtually his first touch and unlucky not to score a second.

A word for Taylor the Boro winger. great performance from him and he caused us lots of trouble. Can't blame Vesselli for his good performance he caused problems for everyone. We should be better when you look at it man for man, but as a collective we just don't look like a team.

Need to win on Sat, if only to stop this poor run! UTV.

What now? Major changes today and seemingly no response.

Duffy on bench??

I'm not a massive Yates fan but.....

Lines shopping in Hanley this afternoon.

Next Saturday will be vital but tbh it will only be a one-off. Not sure where we go from here. Down to the lake I fear....

Lines was after some strollers.

Reading these comments on OVF really frustrate me immensely. It looks as if Popey is starting to get the blame for the Manager's short comings in many fans eyes. Lets think about it do you think Tom wants to spend the game looking back at his own goalkeeper, staring into the sun attempting to win a 'hoofed' high ball to flick on to nobody? No what our leading goalscorer needs is service to his feet because he is great at holding the ball up and can lay off a good pass if there is someone to pass too.

Where Tom's greatest value is though is if the widemen get down the wings and pull back dangerous crosses. Then don't worry Popey will get on the end of them and the goals will flow. Lets get their defenders looking at their goalie and then we would see who is the best header of the ball! Defending the 'big hoof' is dead easy just push Popey in the back when the ball is played up because the refs rarely seem to punish the offenders. I have previously read that Pope should go down more but when he does he gets slated on here by so many. I ask you if you constantly got fouled and the crimes often go unpunished would you moan? Come on guys cut the lad some slack because if we 'feed the Pope then he will score'

I like Marshall he can be a 'proper winger' but I'm mystified why as the game progresses he drifts inside and though he gives it his all there, I believe he is far more dangerous when he is out on his wing. I suspect he is being instructed to play in this way by the boss.

Reading these comments on OVF really frustrate me immensely. It looks as if Popey is starting to get the blame for the Manager's short comings in many fans eyes. Lets think about it do you think Tom wants to spend the game looking back at his own goalkeeper, staring into the sun attempting to win a 'hoofed' high ball to flick on to nobody? No what our leading goalscorer needs is service to his feet because he is great at holding the ball up and can lay off a good pass if there is someone to pass too.

Where Tom's greatest value is though is if the widemen get down the wings and pull back dangerous crosses. Then don't worry Popey will get on the end of them and the goals will flow. Lets get their defenders looking at their goalie and then we would see who is the best header of the ball! Defending the 'big hoof' is dead easy just push Popey in the back when the ball is played up because the refs rarely seem to punish the offenders. I have previously read that Pope should go down more but when he does he gets slated on here by so many. I ask you if you constantly got fouled and the crimes often go unpunished would you moan? Come on guys cut the lad some slack because if we 'feed the Pope then he will score'

I like Marshall he can be a 'proper winger' but I'm mystified why as the game progresses he drifts inside and though he gives it his all there, I believe he is far more dangerous when he is out on his wing. I suspect he is being instructed to play in this way by the boss.

So it's all the managers fault and the players aren't responsible?

Just waking up after drowning our sorrows after attending that awful match.

To clarify (but my opinion only), we did try to play passing football and not hoof it up field, so clearly adams has been working with them on that, but not sure we have the skills to do this, plus at times you do need to clear your lines...

Marshall was best player for us by a country mile, although he had the beating of their huge right back but for some reason failed to keep poking it past him and running on, maybe a symptom of lack of confidence in the whole team.

Pope had awful service and hence resorted to complaining (some were fair claims for being manhandled) but possibly a good decision to take him off as when slew came on they were competing for the same space and ball at times (maybe need some more game time together to work out each others style).

Anyway onto the goals, as others have said , the first was just plain and simple bad defending, we gave the lad acres of space and failed to close him down, basic stuff and they punished us for it. The second goal pretty much summed up the season so far for us, no marking whatsoever from a cross and they had 3 unmarked payers waiting to head it in..No wonder mcgivern went mad, it was not one persons fault, as a team they failed to take responsibility for it, whether it was slew, mcgivern or neal who could have come out and caught it..all players culpable.. at that point you realised there are some serious issues with our team. By the time of the third, the players heads seemed down and it was all academic by then..Great goal by Slew, if it had been earlier in the game it may have altered things but I doubt it.

Pub Talk of dressing room unrest does not surprise me, adams needs to assert his authority and shore up that ****** defence.

The fustrating thing for me was that if we had got down the wings and got behind them we would have been vey dangerous, on the few occasions marshall did this we nearly scored, but we simply failed to understand this and the players couldn't do it (tactics or poor players?)

We applauded them off the pitch but to be fair I did it with gritted teeth as most playes were just plain poor, but we need to keep their confidence up.

Crewe is now a six pointer, if we lose, god knows what will happen.

I have got my tickets for fleetwood away, but if we carry on in this vein, we could be on the way for a battering.

To take the positives from the day - Marshall excellent as ever, Slew scored a great goal, ermm that's about it.. oh and Rudgie is our king was there.....

Time for reflection.

The massive frustration for me is that if Posh are top of the League and favourites to get promotion then we really are not that far behind them in personnel. Collectively, yes we are poor. we don't play as a team together and there are huge gaps all over the field. But for good periods of each game Vale do show that we have some really good players and Oh, if only someone would coach them properly and get them to do the simple things right, then we would be up there or thereabouts.

Are our players getting any advice/coaching/tactics etc in mid week training sessions? We have the same repetitive mistakes made every game and confidence just seeps out of the squad.

I love Vale to bits but when I left the game yesterday a lot of Posh fans said we were unlucky not get a draw. I agree. for periods we contained them and actually started to pass the ball around but they did score 2 long range efforts and in hindsight I felt we played OK. We will come good but it's now time for the whole Club to stand together and actually do something to eradicate the simple errors being made so we can enjoy life again next season in Division 1. KTF.

Win or lose the buck stops with Adams REP.

But it doesn't does it when we win? Remember Carlisle away last season for instance.

He should be much loved for what he's achieved over the last 2 seasons in particular.

I completely agree I feel he's been playing the wrong formation and the last 2 league results prior to yesterday were awful as if we want to do well we can't be losing to crap like County and Chesterfield but it seems there is definitely an imbalance.

Win together, lose together for me.

Archived