onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

another mass shooting in America

TheJoker

Is that honestly what you think America's like George everyone out on the lash with a gun in there back pocket puff puff pass dude I want too see what the wicky wicky wild wild west looks like too

Sadly in some states it's heading that way, Florida, Texas and particularly Georgia since the passage of the House Bill 60 into law. From 1st July 2014 this bill allows residents who have concealed carry permits to take guns into some bars, churches, school zones, government buildings and certain parts of airports. Other states will undoubtedly follow suite, its madness. Individual States have their own gun laws hence confusion reigns but the law is elementary and only a talking point once your head's been blown off.

Concealed carry includes in your pocket, glove compartment of your car etc.

Advert

Automatic weapons?

I think the sort of gunyou could acquire here and the ones freely available at gun shows across America are as different as a butter knife and a samurai sword

I'm not making any comparison with America.. but yes it's easier to get guns there and easier to get much more powerful guns..absolutely accept that

My point is and was that if someone in the UK is determined enough they can get a gun and they don't have to rely on knowng a mate of Hatchet Harry to do so.

of course if you knew someone in another country,,, say Thailand for instance... who was a member of a gun club I doubt there would be much problem obtaining a firearm... although importing it would be a different matter... hidden in a container of other goods may suffice... or sometimes just through the postal system depending on point of origin. Not as easy as a chocolate bar but not overly difficult either.

The above is just an example of a possibility, I am not now or ever have been a member of a gun club, I do not possess a firearm, I have not fired a gun for some considerable time except under the guidance of the police.

I agree that a strong curb on the sale of guns would deter the use of such weapons in the commission of crimes and multiple deaths. I also think that people determined enough or deranged enough to believe they have to kill will find a way to do so.

The question "how do we ensure we collect all the guns if we ban them?" is difficult to answer although not a reason not to ban them.

No one is saying that banning guns will eradicate murder.

People get stabbed in the UK all the time.

But how can people not see the link between a nation that believes they should have the right to be armed and the annual innocent shooting spree?

You can do a lot more damage with a gun than with a knife in terms of the numbers of victims.

It would make a staggering difference if you compare the amount of completely innocent bystander victims that are killed in the USA to the rest of the world. Obviously most murders are comitted for a reason other than randomly wanting to kill people, these are the ones that can't really be prevented. But the murderers who can walk into a shop, buy a gun, kill 10-15 people and then shoot themselves in the head in an afternoon? Of course you can prevent that, or at the very least drastically reduce the victim rate.

No one is saying that banning guns will eradicate murder.

People get stabbed in the UK all the time.

But how can people not see the link between a nation that believes they should have the right to be armed and the annual innocent shooting spree?

You can do a lot more damage with a gun than with a knife in terms of the numbers of victims.

It would make a staggering difference if you compare the amount of completely innocent bystander victims that are killed in the USA to the rest of the world. Obviously most murders are comitted for a reason other than randomly wanting to kill people, these are the ones that can't really be prevented. But the murderers who can walk into a shop, buy a gun, kill 10-15 people and then shoot themselves in the head in an afternoon? Of course you can prevent that, or at the very least drastically reduce the victim rate.

I agree with most of what you say except the highlighted part in bold... in a short space of time I would agree... serial killers kill far more without a gun than spree killers do with one... shipman, the wests, neilson, ripper [both], fish, garavito... thats not an excuse for allowing uncontrolled access to guns. Restrictions could prevent the spree killers or drastically reduce them. Sadly I think that horse has bolted, there are probably so many guns in some countries that it would be impossible to reclaim them.

Excellent headline on The Onion website today:

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

"There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this guy from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what he really wanted.”

They just don't get it do they :doh::( It's just engrained that guns should be available to those that want them

"There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this guy from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what he really wanted.”

They just don't get it do they :doh::( It's just engrained that guns should be available to those that want them

Thick as ****! :(

(them not you JA ;) )

This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said North Carolina resident Samuel Wipper, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do?

Wonder what the **** would say if one of his family was a victim, SHAME for Christ sake??

It's just engrained that guns should be available to those that want them

Of course it is, its been part of their culture since before they had a country. Its what won them the country and how they survived in the country. Its part of the constitution [if thats how you interpret it] its part of their fabric and history, its never going to be an easy change.

Thick as ****! :(

You can't say that..not when it's part of their culture. It's as natural to them as drinking lager, steak and kidney pudding and the NHS are to us..or more seriously freedom of speech, the vote, protest, political freedom etc are to us

Of course it is, its been part of their culture since before they had a country. Its what won them the country and how they survived in the country.

See I don't believe that but I do believe that in their romanticised image of their forefathers that's what happened

Its part of the constitution [if thats how you interpret it] its part of their fabric and history, its never going to be an easy change.

Asolutely

See I don't believe that but I do believe that in their romanticised image of their forefathers that's what happened

I was thinking more of fighting the english, the civil war and hunting food... not the OK corral or little big horn.

I was thinking more of fighting the english, the civil war and hunting food... not the OK corral or little big horn.

I still think it's all somewhat romanticised..happens a lot..whether it be in the US, the Battle of Britain, spirit of the blitz and so on

Archived