onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

another mass shooting in America

TheJoker

Advert

Gun sales in California are subject to background checks that show up any psychiatric flags. The nutter had been reported to police and mental health agencies, pretty unbelievable how he slipped through the net.

He had been treated for some time for psychiatric disorders but never admitted to an institution. As such, it does not go on record.

It would appear he stabbed the first three victims.

The gun laws in America are just plain nuts. Post Sandy Hook there was a massive movement to introduce legislation to ban/limit the use of assault weapons etc but nothing happened because of the power of the NRA, a bunch of total lunatics, even though Pres. Obama and the overwhelming majority of the population supported and campaigned for gun reform.

In the last two weeks the state of Georgia has passed a law allowing people to openly carry guns in public, in Massachusetts, which has some of the most stringent gun laws in the country, a guy was arrested for carrying two guns into the graduation ceremony at Boston University.

It doesn't matter if a particular state has legislation requiring background checks as people just go to gun shows either in or out of state where guns and ammunition are sold freely without any checks whatsoever, not even id checks. Like buying a bar of chocolate, barking.

Have a look at this link then read the comments below. It reminds me how glad I am I don't live in the US - with all due respect to Tone.

I had the choice about 6 months ago of going to the US or Australia for work, for me it was a no brainer for this and a variety of other reasons.

Some of the comments below the video show just how stupid and insular some people from that country really are. Truly beggars belief.

Have a look at this link then read the comments below. It reminds me how glad I am I don't live in the US - with all due respect to Tone.

Some of the comments below the video illustrate the issues but IMO they're not representative of the majority view who do want some form of gun control. Watching gun control debates on tv with members of the NRA is like watching a debate with Gerry Adams, Martin MeGuiness and Anjem Choudry all rolled into one but even more sinister. How on earth an organization with ca 40 000 members wields so much power is beyond me, democracy at its finest.

In 15 years of living in the USA I've never seen a gun apart from in a Policeman's holder. The real strength of this country are its people who are in general the most positive, engaging, generous and caring people I've encounteered, the career opportunities for kids in the USA are immense. I live in the suburbs of Boston, Massachusetts, in our town crime is virtually non existent, home breakins unheard of, individuals give and raise millions of dollars for charity to benefit people all over the world, the community spirit is like Britain 50 years ago. The city of Boston has its not so good neighborhoods as does any city but in general its safe and a phenomenal place to go, its a diverse city, the center of the Biotech and Robotics industries in the USA, many world class Hospitals, Universities and Industries, the Childrens Hospital in Boston is a truly inspirational place where kids from around the wold are treated.

Britain also is a great place to live but there are perceptible differences between the two countries, in the USA you have to make things happen, nothing is done for you, in the UK many people expect things to be given to/done for them.

Don't base your views of the USA on comments made on Youtube or USA guns laws but on the vast majority of Americans who are decent, law abiding, caring citizens who want an end to this gun madness.

Some of the comments below the video illustrate the issues but IMO they're not representative of the majority view who do want some form of gun control. Watching gun control debates on tv with members of the NRA is like watching a debate with Gerry Adams, Martin MeGuiness and Anjem Choudry all rolled into one but even more sinister. How on earth an organization with ca 40 000 members wields so much power is beyond me, democracy at its finest.

In 15 years of living in the USA I've never seen a gun apart from in a Policeman's holder. The real strength of this country are its people who are in general the most positive, engaging, generous and caring people I've encounteered, the career opportunities for kids in the USA are immense. I live in the suburbs of Boston, Massachusetts, in our town crime is virtually non existent, home breakins unheard of, individuals give and raise millions of dollars for charity to benefit people all over the world, the community spirit is like Britain 50 years ago. The city of Boston has its not so good neighborhoods as does any city but in general its safe and a phenomenal place to go, its a diverse city, the center of the Biotech and Robotics industries in the USA, many world class Hospitals, Universities and Industries, the Childrens Hospital in Boston is a truly inspirational place where kids from around the wold are treated.

Britain also is a great place to live but there are perceptible differences between the two countries, in the USA you have to make things happen, nothing is done for you, in the UK many people expect things to be given to/done for them.

Don't base your views of the USA on comments made on Youtube or USA guns laws but on the vast majority of Americans who are decent, law abiding, caring citizens who want an end to this gun madness.

Having spent just a week in Boston I fully understand your points, Paul, and I'm sorry if my comment above gave offence in any way.

Would you not agree, though, that the NRA hold a considerable amount of influence in political circles or is that an ill-informed view from a distance? It's certainly the impression we get over here.

No offence whatsoever, hope you enjoyed your trip to taxachusetts.

Yes, the NRA hold a considerable amount of influence in political circles, even sponsoring senators and congressmen/women. The argument used by the NRA is if more people were armed then the shooter would more likely be taken down. There is some warped logic to that argument but it's nonsense, the simple equation is more guns = more gun related deaths.

There was something on tv a while back about america and it touched on guns, militias, cults etc. It made me think if the reason for the difference between US (or parts os the US) culture and UK culture is partly/mainly down to the size. We are all cramped together, and so cultures/ideas/beliefs mix into a kind of half way general concensus. In america its more spread out. Which might explain why the cities such as new york are more similar to us than other more remote places. No idea if its true though.

Agree with a lot about what you say about america, though im not sure about the making things happen/expect things to be given comparison. THere is poverty in both countries, though the poverty gap in the USA is larger, and i dont think its a bad thing that we do more to help those people. We do have people who expect things given, though perhaps the only reason those people dont expect it in the USA is because there isnt as much available to them. Their situations dont necessarily change.

Its not the gun that kills... its the finger on the trigger.

One of the arguments used by the NRA, clearly a finger attached to a human and to a gun pulls the trigger which fires the bullet which kills.....so what's the solution....remove the humans or the guns, only removing the latter makes any sense.

Archived