onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

another mass shooting in America

TheJoker

Something smells a bit stinky whiff about this it seems to be all about the mass shooting that took place yet the first 2 people he killed he stabbed nobody is shouting for knives to be banned yes it is a tradigy but come on the guy was a loon if he didn't have guns it would of been his bmw he used as his instrument of death think the guy had watched to many episodes of dexter tbh

Advert

Something smells a bit stinky whiff about this it seems to be all about the mass shooting that took place yet the first 2 people he killed he stabbed nobody is shouting for knives to be banned yes it is a tradigy but come on the guy was a loon if he didn't have guns it would of been his bmw he used as his instrument of death think the guy had watched to many episodes of dexter tbh

He did stab them after hiding them captive at gun point though.

If this was a one off I might agree with you. However they seem to have a mass killing involving guns every week over the pond.

I remember there was 3 people shot in Liverpool in the space off 2 weeks not so long ago an guns are illegal here an I think the last shooting was sandy hook last year if memory serves correct guns don't kill people people kill people guns do come in handy in defending yourself against people with guns though

As of december 2013 there had been an additional 26 school shootings since Sandy Hook and over 30,000 people had died by way of gun violence

http://www.salon.com/2013/12/14/after_newtown_a_look_at_guns_in_america_partner/

I ask you, would you feel safer if every single person in the Isle of Man owned a gun? If when you went out on the town for drinks you knew every drunk had a hand gun intheir back pocket? I certainly wouldn't.

I too feel uncomfortable with the apparent power of the NRA lobby. However, I wanted to correct you on one thing. I believe they have something in the region of 4 million members (not 40k).

The 40k number was banded around during debates post Sandy Hook as being "active/committed NRA members", you're right in that a Google search gives the NRA membership at anything up to 4.5million. However the point I was making still stands in that this disproportionately small number of NRA members appears able to block any type of gun reform given it is often reported that the majority (I've seen quoted figures of over 80%) of the 307million people in the USA want some type of gun reform.

I came to a view a few weeks ago that the worst position to be in is the middle. So, if a US State outlaws guns and collects them and all ammunition in (impossible) that is a good outcome to reducing crime. Alternately, if in a State committed to retaining guns they must build defences that will deter at schools with locked doors, armed security etc. Fight fire with fire if you like. They should reduce the scope for mass killings. But now I have changed my mind - it doesn't look like any defences can deal with a genuine nutter, so they will continue to have events as bad as this because only disarmament could make a really big difference and they never going to get that.

Of course not, but it could go down. No one is saying banning guns would bring the murder rate to zero.

And you possibly could get a gun. And you could also possibly get arrested if your efforts are reported to the police. Only those in certain circles wouldn't raise suspicions.

So that's where one would try to get a gun..form those who would not raise it to the police. One can always steal one

You said it wasn't the gun that killed people, but the finger pulling the trigger. Personally I think the gun helps. Running around wiggling your finger shouting 'bang' wouldn't do half as much damage.

What a proposterous comment that is; wouldn't do any damage at all..unless he shouted it really loudly and damaged their hearing ;)

It's still ultimately all about people who want to do harm to others and restricting as much as possible the tools available to them to do so

I remember there was 3 people shot in Liverpool in the space off 2 weeks not so long ago an guns are illegal here an I think the last shooting was sandy hook last year if memory serves correct guns don't kill people people kill people guns do come in handy in defending yourself against people with guns though

There are so many shootings in the US that we never hear of most of them

As to the defence argument, that is indeed an argument that has to be won in the US

Sounds like we have a bunch of middle aged wannabe gangsters on OVF who think they can walk into their local pub, have the contacts already not to have to ask around and cause suspicion, and buy a fire arm as easily as walking into a shop and buying a Mars bar.

Sounds like we have a bunch of middle aged wannabe gangsters on OVF who think they can walk into their local pub, have the contacts already not to have to ask around and cause suspicion, and buy a fire arm as easily as walking into a shop and buying a Mars bar.

Why can't you just respect and accept that some people would be able to get a gun if they wanted to without having to resort to 'Lock, Stock..' type methods of doing so. i suppose it's easier to post juvenile insults.

I dont think anyone suggested it was as easy as buying it from the corner shop, they are available if you want one.

I could sell you one of my brothers shotguns if you wanted to pay the price.

Im well past middle age and have been all I wannabe... of course if you knew someone in another country,,, say Thailand for instance... who was a member of a gun club I doubt there would be much problem obtaining a firearm... although importing it would be a different matter... hidden in a container of other goods may suffice... or sometimes just through the postal system depending on point of origin. Not as easy as a chocolate bar but not overly difficult either.

I'd not have to resort to that. In our rural community I know the following who have guns of various types:

a sheep farmer

a gamekeeper

a pest controller (foxes and the like)

a clay pigeon shooter

a huntsman (pheasant, rabbits and all that sort of thing)

Now of course no one is suggesting they would lend/sell me their gun willy nilly but they might and also there is the option of stealing their gun from them..were I so desperate. The point is guns are out there to try and obtain without having to meet up with characters out of a Guy Richie film. Not as easy as buying a Mars bar (more like trying to get hold of a Marathon or Swiskit) but far form impossible.

I'd not have to resort to that. In our rural community I know the following who have guns of various types:

a sheep farmer

a gamekeeper

a pest controller (foxes and the like)

a clay pigeon shooter

a huntsman (pheasant, rabbits and all that sort of thing)

Now of course no one is suggesting they would lend/sell me their gun willy nilly but they might and also there is the option of stealing their gun from them..were I so desperate. The point is guns are out there to try and obtain without having to meet up with characters out of a Guy Richie film. Not as easy as buying a Mars bar (more like trying to get hold of a Marathon or Swiskit) but far form impossible.

Automatic weapons?

I think the sort of gunyou could acquire here and the ones freely available at gun shows across America are as different as a butter knife and a samurai sword

Archived