onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

British Justice?

For Us All

Advert

Anyway..the wife's family have just arrived safely from Manchester so for me Christams can now start so I'm staying off such subjects for a few days and focussing on eating too much, talking too much, singing too much, mucking about too much and generally relaxing too much

Merry Xmas to all

the same for you and a happy, safe and peaceful Christmas and new year- note not " winter fest"

and lastly a win on boxing day...

• 4 weeks later...

Whilst the top line figure at £270k is high, the majority of the costs, £230k, actually relate to his criminal trial. Whilst he was found guilty and crimes he committed were abhorrent, we live in a cultured society where everyone is entitled to a fair trial. To deny him legal aid for the criminal case would have been wrong in my opinion.

Turning to the civil claims I guess it's down to individual opinion as to whether a convicted criminal should have access to justice in this respect. It's worth mentioning that if the legal aid costs for the civil claims were £40k, i suspect his claims were not successful because if they were, usually the people he was suing would pay his costs. If that is the case, given the claims would more than likely be made against a public body they would have come out of the public purse in any event and would have cost significantly more given the reduced hourly rates allowed if claiming off the legal aid fund.

The whole system has gone too far,this Human Rights every one bleats on about is ruining society,of course you should have a society where fairness and reasonable are the norm, now all that happens is people are taking the mick (Are you allowed to say mick given the Irish connection to the name)

Some go on about the bankers messing up the economy, I notice the Lawyers who get very very fat on the system have gone unnoticed, they seem untouchable and yet they must cost the country millions and for what ?They spin out the simplest of queries and take great delight in charging anything over £150 and hour (And thats cheap)

The worlds going to hell in a hancart

The whole system has gone too far,this Human Rights every one bleats on about is ruining society,of course you should have a society where fairness and reasonable are the norm, now all that happens is people are taking the mick (Are you allowed to say mick given the Irish connection to the name)

Some go on about the bankers messing up the economy, I notice the Lawyers who get very very fat on the system have gone unnoticed, they seem untouchable and yet they must cost the country millions and for what ?They spin out the simplest of queries and take great delight in charging anything over £150 and hour (And thats cheap)

The worlds going to hell in a hancart

that is cheap

to have respect in the present day world situation you have to fight fire with fire, anything less is classed as a sign of weakness.

Didn't a great man once say "an eye for an eye and the whole world will be blind"? Is that what you advocate? Really?

Didn't a great man once say "an eye for an eye and the whole world will be blind"? Is that what you advocate? Really?

can you remember terry waite being held for 3 years in the Lebanon without trial or reason well the factions who imprisoned him tried it on with the Russians and captured one of their consular staff, so the Russians captured one of their senior officials ,cut off his testicles and sent them back with a message which said release our man unharmed and we will send you the rest of yours which they did and the Russians never had any problems after that episode, the Russians fought fire with fire and gained respect from the militant faction.

Read about that before..is there proof it happened? Wasn't it supposed to be the leaders son they mutilated?

We are at a new low when we give the actions of the KGB as the model to follow.

it happened JA and it was quite a while ago and this country's intelligence services has as murky a past as the KGB.it could have been the son of their leader, can't remember nor:( can I remember the faction involved, might have been the falange or even the druise, ewd age plays havoc with ones memory.

Personally I disagree re our intelligence services and the KGB; not saying our intelligence services haven't done terrible things but the KGB was more ingrained in Russian society and govt and answerable to no one

But even so, we should strive not to be like the KGB, not strive to be like them

Whilst the top line figure at £270k is high, the majority of the costs, £230k, actually relate to his criminal trial. Whilst he was found guilty and crimes he committed were abhorrent, we live in a cultured society where everyone is entitled to a fair trial. To deny him legal aid for the criminal case would have been wrong in my opinion.

Turning to the civil claims I guess it's down to individual opinion as to whether a convicted criminal should have access to justice in this respect. It's worth mentioning that if the legal aid costs for the civil claims were £40k, i suspect his claims were not successful because if they were, usually the people he was suing would pay his costs. If that is the case, given the claims would more than likely be made against a public body they would have come out of the public purse in any event and would have cost significantly more given the reduced hourly rates allowed if claiming off the legal aid fund.

The legal aid gravy train has been cut back to stop parasitic lawyers taking the mick as they seem to have in that instance.

Legal Aid was a great idea to give the not rich a chance of justice, however lawyers spotted an opportunity to make themselves rich by running up ridiculous bills. The Law Society is effectively the only closed shop union laft in the country.

The legal aid gravy train has been cut back to stop parasitic lawyers taking the mick as they seem to have in that instance.

Legal Aid was a great idea to give the not rich a chance of justice, however lawyers spotted an opportunity to make themselves rich by running up ridiculous bills. The Law Society is effectively the only closed shop union laft in the country.

Solicitors can earn 2-3 times as much from a private paying client and even more from a defendant in a successful civil claim so I disagree that they would rather claim from the LAA or see it as a gravy train.

Archived