onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

who would you keep?

andy jones

Has Birchall actually had a pre-season while he's been with us this time? I do think there's something about him and would like to keep but I'm not sure if we'd ever et the best out of him with 15 minute cameos every few games. I would say that it'd be nice to give him a decent run of a few games in the first team but can't imagine him keeping a place instead of Lines or Knott (if they stay).

Advert

We need to be realistic, releasing half the side will weaken us short term but strengthen us long term. The main question is would we survive if we released the majority of those mentioned.

Basically , chilvers , Robertson, Davis, shuker, Mohamed abirchall and Williamson have to go for me . The rest I would keep as squad fillers.

Are some people deluded on this site release Dickinson and replace him with who?

Phil Hardy

Rae Ingram

Damien McCrory

Until vale signed Dan Jones we had waited almost 15 years for a decent left back

The reason I state for releasing Dicko, is that his wage dosent match his quality, I love Dicko but he is average and for a player on high wages I want somene who isnt going to miss a quarter of the season through suspension. As for a replacement I dont know, but thats what scouts and managers get paid for, to say there is no one is silly.

Gotta say that I agree with pretty much every word of leedsvaliant's post - both the choices and the reasoning behind each. I'd possibly keep Dodds (who's in contract anyway) and also maybe Tomlin (who leedsvaliant missed off his list), although even then I reckon we'd still need a new striker to partner Pope, ahead of Tomlin & Hugill in the pecking order.

Williamson is a tricky one as he has blistering pace to worry defences, but lacks the sort of aggression or willingness to put himself about that a forward of his size should possess. He'll use his pace to get in a position to challenge for the ball, but then just stand off rather than putting his foot in - it's almost like he's too polite (as in saying to the defender "No, after you") or maybe he's just not got the bottle to get involved in the physical stuff? It's not like he's a young, raw 18 year-old just out of the youth team, although that's the kind of impression that he often gives.

The must-release for me are Chilvers, Shuker, Lloyd, Mohammed (assuming we can get Bristol Rovers to take over his contract), Taylor, and hopefully Griffith who I've grown to shudder at seeing on the team-sheet as he is a f -ing liability most of the time (Eddie on PVO is far more tactful by describing him as hapless!). I'd much prefer to keep Birchall as a squad option, although I would hope that we could get a much better midfielder than both of them (Knott is the obvious choice).

Not only is it a big worry that we only have about 6 players in contract for next season, but of those only Pope is worth a regular place in the starting XI - the others, Johnson, Dodds, Williamson & probably Robertson are only squad material. And I'm astounded that Yates has seemingly got another year - admittedly he's improved from his first few years with us, but he's still League 2 standard for me, and we need a better defender at right-back who doesn't back off all the time (maybe Adams agrees, seeing as he's dropped Yates a number of times over the last couple of seasons).

I think its a case of evolution not revolution.

Id be looking for a new first choice right- back, a centre back to partner Duffy, a central midfielder ( ideally Knott) and a partner for Pope above Hugill, Williamson and Tomlin in the pecking order.

In respect of those to be released, I would do for Chilvers and Mohammed (if a deal can be done) as definates. Others would come into the equation if the budget is good enough to replace existing with better.

Just to join in the debate about Dicko - my feeling is that he is obviously a whole hearted trier who does "gee up" colleagues and puts his all into every game....BUT, and a big but is that he is like so many of our other "defenders" - he gets pulled out of position far too easily and backs off all the time. He doesn't use his experience to ensure running attackers are pushed out wide. It's clear why he never really pushed on after his career at Sjoke City!

Time after time Dicko allows attackers to run at him and leave him flat footed as he tries to turn. I don't want to suggest he's not wanted but for the apparent wage he's on surely we could find a replacement who actually can play full back? Too many goals and goal threats have actually come from his side of the pitch.

I agree with many on here that he's a very good squad member but for the money we have to believe we can do better. Sorry Dicko but as much as I love your enthusiasm and willingness to run into a brick wall for us I sadly conclude we have to have 2 new full backs for next season, along with the absolute definitely needed centre half!

We should really have released a couple more at the end of last season, because now we're in the position of requiring getting rid of a lot of the dead wood but making too big a change to the squad would have a negative effect. Here's my thoughts:

People I would release or put on transfer list:

Chilvers (too old and slow now)

Yates (League 2 player)

Taylor (Injury Prone - not got a footballing brain sadly)

Griffith (a trier but just can't play football)

Shuker (body has given in sadly)

Mohammed (non-league standard - why did we sign him?)

Dodds (I think he' s in contract but why did we offer him a new one? Looks the part but only once every 23 matches!)

Lloyd (I don't think this lad is ever going to get to the standard required. He's old enough to have shown something by now)

Davis (Whilst I feel there's a good player in there somewhere he has confidence issues and is always liable for a mistake)

Keep:

Johnson (Steady enough for a reserve keeper but a bit too languid style for a goalkeeper - needs work)

Neal (As solid a keeper as you'll get at this level - a must)

Duffy (Showed why he's been capped for Wales - he's just not a full back!)

Robertson (OK for back up as a squad player - we need better in front of him)

Dickinson (I think he has more decent games than poor and is a leader)

Lines (With better players around him and better movement I think he'll come good)

Loft (I had my doubts at the beginning of the season but he's been tremendous really since the first game against Brentford)

Myrie-Williams ( Has the potential to cause problems and can score)

Williamson (Has pace which can cause any one problems but needs to work on finishing - that's all he should work on in training - a good sub)

Pope (obviously)

Hugill (Big, strong and mobile - with the right nurturing he could be a hell of a player)

There's going to be a big turnover whatever happens, but we desperately need full backs who can cross and also defend (would be lethal with Pope if we had better crossers of the ball - Pope is one of the best in the leagues in the air if the delivery is right). Two central defenders at least who are leaders also required . Midfielders (knott and ANother?) who maintain some control of the ball. Another decent winger/quick forward player and a pacy striker that can actually finish would be good. Not much to ask??

I missed off a couple:

Tomlin (I think he's probably a decent enough league 2 player but is he good enough to take us on?) - Release for me

Birchall ( I think he has some qualities but desperately needs a preseason to boost fitness levels) - Keep for back up

Are some people deluded on this site release Dickinson and replace him with who?

Phil Hardy

Rae Ingram

Damien McCrory

Until vale signed Dan Jones we had waited almost 15 years for a decent left back

What you fail to realise Davo is that just commitment doesn't make you a good left back, he's actually quite a poor passer of the ball which is key at full back and also gets caught out of position regularly. I'm sure he's commanding quite a big wage for our level and we could definitely replace with a better all round player for the money.

I could pump my fist at the Railway Paddock and show 100% commitment but even I wouldn't want me at left back

I would go with:

MOVE ON:

Dickinson

Chilvers

Taylor

Shuker

Mohamed

Yates

MUST KEEP:

Loft

JMW

Duffy

Neal

Knott

Lines

BORDERLINE:

Robertson

Tomlin

Williamson

Birchall

Griff

How you can have Dickinson not even in borderline is astounding.

How you can have Dickinson not even in borderline is astounding.

I dont think it is. I agree with REP, Dicko IMO should be let go, he is a very average player who is often out of position and commands a huge wage in relation to the rest of the squad. Also he missed a quarter of the season through suspension this season, IMO his wages could be much better spent on a different left back, one who has some pace and isnt suspended for large parts of the season. Fans annoy me a bit with Dicko, he is on one those players that look better than they are, just because he always gives 110%, as i say for his wage we need more than someone who just tries hard and rallies the fans. If he were to stay on a reduced wage then I would keep him but certainly not on current terms, money could be much better spent.

Also I would release:

Chilvers

Mohammed

Shuker

Taylor

Williamson

Griff

Dickinson

Keep:

Loft

Lines

Neal

Knott

Duffy

JMW

Robertson

Borederline:

Birchall

Dodds

Tomlin

Yates

As he showed last match, Dodds is one of the few players who knows where the back of the net is. He can pass to a player in the same team. He links play up well. I think his work rate has improved, but that mighrt just be with the forthcoming contract situation.

As with other current players, who could we get who is within budget and any better?

Mmmmm yet after 6 seasons he still isn't a regular,so I will still say he cant be as good as some think,can he?

What you fail to realise Davo is that just commitment doesn't make you a good left back, he's actually quite a poor passer of the ball which is key at full back and also gets caught out of position regularly. I'm sure he's commanding quite a big wage for our level and we could definitely replace with a better all round player for the money.

I could pump my fist at the Railway Paddock and show 100% commitment but even I wouldn't want me at left back

A modern day Sam Stockley though slightly better! :)

Archived