onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

KP dismissed.

For Us All

He might be if he was approached?

Kirsten's statement said "I've not been approached about the England job and I'm not considering it at this stage.

Michael Vaughan on 5Live tonight seemed to think that it's a possibility if we chased him.

Perhaps so. If he did get appointed I'd try to get Paul Collingwood into the organisation somewhere. He has done well with Scotland.

Advert

Splits opinion does KP.

Boycott reckons it's the right decision,Vaughan thinks he should be managed properly.

Boycott ? Ha. Many would say he is loud and arrogant, and a nasty piece of ignorant ill-informed past-it babble sprouter. Only there to try and be controversial, and fails most of the time by being plain ridiculous.

Although a legendary and superb player, his years of commentary have been a stain on cricket, maybe even a skid mark. Same as great football players who made awful managers - Matthews, Bobby Charlton and lots more.

Boycott ? Ha. Many would say he is loud and arrogant, and a nasty piece of ignorant ill-informed past-it babble sprouter. Only there to try and be controversial, and fails most of the time by being plain ridiculous.

Although a legendary and superb player, his years of commentary have been a stain on cricket, maybe even a skid mark. Same as great football players who made awful managers - Matthews, Bobby Charlton and lots more.

He must be doing something right,he's part of the excellent TMS team.

I don't think anyone is disputing that KP is a great player but if you look at his record, he does seem to have made himself unpopular in a lot of places - Natal, Notts, Hampshire, Surrey, England? He seems to have fallen out with a lot of teams - he is the common factor in all of this. At 33, when you are looking to rebuild the side, is he worth the hassle??

How is he unpopular at Surrey? What's happened at Hampshire? What was the falling out in South Africa about?

I've just done a sum. Since being called back into the England team after textgate, KP has played in 4 series, 16 games, 30 innings, 1105 runs at an average of 36.83. This has pulled his career average down from over 50 to 47. Perhaps he's just not as good as he used to be???

That's a very fair, analytical and objective assessment. There can be an argument put forward to suggest that KP has not been managed as well as he could have been by the England set-up, but unfortunately he has 'previous form' in this direction in virtually every location he has been in and every team he has played for! There comes a time when people decide that the 'high maintenance' requirements for one individual (however talented) is not worth the damage to the team ethic & togetherness. Allied to this, is the fact, as you quite rightly point out, that KP's contribution in terms of runs scored in the recent past has not been anywhere near as good as in the past. He is the oldest member within the Ashes squad and although in some ways, like many others, I shall be sad to see him go, there does come a time when all teams (in all sports) need to re-build and move on!

I've just done a sum. Since being called back into the England team after textgate, KP has played in 4 series, 16 games, 30 innings, 1105 runs at an average of 36.83. This has pulled his career average down from over 50 to 47. Perhaps he's just not as good as he used to be???

Jacko, I'd argue his decline started after his injury that ruled him out of the last 3 Tests of the 2009 Ashes series. Since then, he has only averaged 50 in a calendar year once (2011, when I reckon we could have put out an XI from this messageboard and we would have given India a good game), and his average has usually been closer to the low 40s in that time. Of course, he has still played some masterful innings that nobody in England, and possibly the world, could have played, Adelaide 2010, Colombo 2012, Headingley against SA in 2012, but they became increasingly few and far between.

He has been a great player for England, but not for some time.

Jacko, I'd argue his decline started after his injury that ruled him out of the last 3 Tests of the 2009 Ashes series. Since then, he has only averaged 50 in a calendar year once (2011, when I reckon we could have put out an XI from this messageboard and we would have given India a good game), and his average has usually been closer to the low 40s in that time. Of course, he has still played some masterful innings that nobody in England, and possibly the world, could have played, Adelaide 2010, Colombo 2012, Headingley against SA in 2012, but they became increasingly few and far between.

He has been a great player for England, but not for some time.

Perhaps some of his recent behaviour can be seen as rage against the fading of the light? Sad if that is the case because at his best he has no peer in the current game.

Perhaps some of his recent behaviour can be seen as rage against the fading of the light? Sad if that is the case because at his best he has no peer in the current game.

That may have something to do with it, but it doesn't explain why he fell out with Notts, Natal and various others. I suspect he is just a *** who happens to be a fantastic individual player in a team sport environment.

Archived