onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

KP dismissed.

For Us All

Advert

I like KP as a batsman and always enjoyed watching but the evidence suggest he is a grade A ***. All this talk about managing him, they made him captain to try to keep him happy and the first thing he did was fall out with the coach. They welcomed him back into the fold after that idiocy over the SA textgate and he still seems to have been a ****** nuisance. There comes a time when it just isn't worth the trouble. He is also knocking on a bit - probably only has a couple of years left at the top - so cut our losses now and let him go and stick his nose in the IPL trough for the next few years.

I had this sent to me by someone on another message board about this issue - makes interesting reading:

Jacko, I live next to the county ground here in Northants, ad go to the pub which is next door. I have befriended , and have had the ear of some of the team who go there, also have chatted with visiting players. A few times I have heard them talk about KP. Whilst admitting his batting prowess they are all of one accord, "Most disliked man on the cricket circuit" is the usual cry. He was at Notes, had his kit thrown out of the window. Left to be nearer London . At Surrey again disliked (when he played, aware that not his fault) but this business about this stupid tweeting to the Saffers seemingly put an end to Andrew Strauss's tenure. Strauss always seemed a decent guy an a good captain, but like the present incumbent things can get a "bit much". It was possibly easier in the days of Brearley (sic), Illingworth, Hutton and co, I dont know, but just to look at A.C you can see the stress. Think, England as a team are better off without KP IMHO.

It's a ridiculous decision fueled by the incompetence of the leadership. Sacking your best player when you've just lost 5-0 is certainly not the way to go about rebuilding a side. If you can't manage the best players, it's the management that should go, not the best players!

It's a ridiculous decision fueled by the incompetence of the leadership. Sacking your best player when you've just lost 5-0 is certainly not the way to go about rebuilding a side. If you can't manage the best players, it's the management that should go, not the best players!

I don't think anyone is disputing that KP is a great player but if you look at his record, he does seem to have made himself unpopular in a lot of places - Natal, Notts, Hampshire, Surrey, England? He seems to have fallen out with a lot of teams - he is the common factor in all of this. At 33, when you are looking to rebuild the side, is he worth the hassle??

I know there are two sides to every story but I can't help but think that the Test team is now much weaker for his absence.

I don't see many players in line to take his place who are fit to lace his shoes to be honest.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes? Some of his colleagues like Udal say he was fantastic. But I think he's a bit unlucky. No-one seemed to question him when we were winning and it seems he's a scapegoat now, despite the likes of Cook and Prior having even worse tours than him.

As a spectator, he was wonderful to watch and a real entertainer who got everyone out of the bars to watch him when he walked to the crease.

I'm very sorry I won't be watching him bat for England again. Wonderfully talented but a maverick and a one-off.

I've just done a sum. Since being called back into the England team after textgate, KP has played in 4 series, 16 games, 30 innings, 1105 runs at an average of 36.83. This has pulled his career average down from over 50 to 47. Perhaps he's just not as good as he used to be???

Is that how you stand on footballers too? Rules are rules and he met those to qualify to fulfill his passion.

Best English player of his and other generations. David Lloyd's comments and Michael Vaughan's in this case are spot on.

I'd take issue with that, REP.

I'd say he is certainly the most naturally talented player I've known player for England(last 20 years ish). When he got it right his batting was a joy to watch and some of his shots I've probably only known the likes of Viv Richards play, how he could crack a ball from outside the off stump through leg for four is sheer class.

IMO the decision is slightly premature and sad although he clearly has an ego and as Jean says is a bit of a ****. I just agree with Michael Vaughan he needs to be managed properly, even if he is going downhill he's still 1 of our best players and to get rid after a bad series for the team isn't the right way to do it, especially when there aren't too many ready made replacements knocking about.

The England team is in a bit of a state for me, there is more to the Trott(another class player IMO) issue if you ask me but that's another debate.

Whatever he is as a person thanks for the memories KP, class player n 23 centuries says it all for me.

Kirsten has said he's not interested.

He might be if he was approached?

Kirsten's statement said "I've not been approached about the England job and I'm not considering it at this stage.

Michael Vaughan on 5Live tonight seemed to think that it's a possibility if we chased him.

Archived