onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Griff signing

yorky valiant

Advert

Lets hope he can make the step up to League 1, was a steady player at League 2. Hope to be proven wrong by all means, just don't understand the hype. Jose Semedo would of shown ambition!

Semedo would of been a quality addition but can we afford him and would he want to come.

Again.... What do you think would happen in L1 with Morsy and Lines in the middle of the park? seriously?? Do you really think Lines and Morsy would do the job needed to track back and get stuck in.. if you do then your kidding yourself

I think whichever midfield 2 we play in this league will struggle, if we persist with playing 2 wingers and 2 up front.

So this is how OVF goes now is it? I respect your opinion, im merely debating with you that i think you are wrong. Isnt that what this MB is all about?

My stats were to suggest that stats mean nothing. I wasnt trying to bull up Griffs return. And my point on Morsy is that you brought him into the debate and yes, especially on Twitter, you raved about him... And Burge.... And slagged the manager off... And wanted him sacked..... And you were wrong on all of them... And thats not opinion.... Thats fact.

I don't think I ever raved about Morsy. I definitely raved about Burge, I thought he was the best ball playing midfielder we'd had in a long time. With regards to Micky, I'm not a great fan of his, I've never hidden that fact I don't think. Discussing vale with fans in Dublin this weekend I said the same to them. My point about opinions was that if you don't agree that everything Micky does is right, every signing he makes is brilliant and his tactics are spot on, then you are not "getting behind the lads" and you are somewhat of a lower class of supporter, which quite frankly is big hairy ball sacks.

I dont really understand your thinking on this.. How do you think we would do coming up against Wolves or Sheff Utd and in the middle of the park we had Lines and say Morsy. Or Lines and Shuker? We would have no one willing to do the dirty work and they would just pass right through us..

Personally I would like to see say Lines and Dodds as I think the better quality of football in league 1 is more suited to Dodds type of game but I also understand that if MA went for Lines and Dodds then we would pretty much get battered against half the league as no one is protecting the defence which as it stands is Robertson and Chilvers which doesnt give me much hope.

I don't think anyone is saying we don't need a player who can do the dirty work. I think it is more like a question as to whether we could find a better player for that job and maybe one with a little more experience at L1 level. 21 games for Orient last year (not all starting) and after they signed Vincelot he got very little game time.

What changed Slade's opinion about him, after he reportedly doubled Griff's wages in order to secure his signing?

Correct. He didnt take it. So why didnt other league 1 clubs or champ clubs get him? He will go on to be a journeyman 4 th division footballer.

Time will tell ST. For what it's worth, I think Chesterfield will be promoted this year, with Morsy (and Richards) playing key roles. Whether he goes on to anything higher, I do not know, but I think there is ability there to be worked with.

I don't think anyone is saying we don't need a player who can do the dirty work. I think it is more like a question as to whether we could find a better player for that job and maybe one with a little more experience at L1 level. 21 games for Orient last year (not all starting) and after they signed Vincelot he got game very little game time.

What changed Slade's opinion about him, after he reportedly doubled Griff's wages in order to secure his signing?

you would have to ask Slade but I know that 21 games isnt too bad and when he came to us in March he looked a better player than when he left

turning point was York? I disagree.. there were games like Cheltenham and Rochdale where we werent the better team and managed to bag points..

York stopped the run of defeats we were on, every team has a bad run of results. Griffs arrival was not what stopped that. And yes I am saying we were a better team without Griff. I would like you to prove to me we were a better team with Griff in the side!

People rave about Griff last season saying he dragged us over the line etc. But, what was the midfield pairing when we looked our most dangerous and scored our most goals last season? Answer: Morsy and Shuker yet most who are crying our for Griff because he singlehandedly won us promotion (when we won 3 games in 10) are glad to see the back of Morsy.

Personally I think this is a little bit of a lazy signing. If Griff has been signed to come on for the last 15-20 mins to sure things up, all well and good. If he's been signed to start matches regularly, I'd be worried. We still need another league one quality midfielder to play alongside Lines in my opinion and a centre back.

I might be wrong but I cant see us signing another centre midfielder now

Why's everyone so negative about Griff when we know what he can do, but raving on about Lines when we don't. We've had plenty of disappointments from the Championship (after all, enough people would have shipped out Shuker in the close season!!).

Griff has never let us down and was part of our promotion team. As such he deserves a chance in my eyes. We haven't turned into Barcelona overnight. We've been promoted to the third division of English football.

York stopped the run of defeats we were on, every team has a bad run of results. Griffs arrival was not what stopped that. And yes I am saying we were a better team without Griff. I would like you to prove to me we were a better team with Griff in the side!

i would like you to prove to me that we were better without him

If Vale hadnt signed Griff he would still be at Orient. He was under contract. So, that will be league 1.

Our best football was certainly played at the start of the season but, again, thats not my point or i could say that Ashley Vincent is a wonderkid because our second half of the season without him was poor.

We hit the ground running. We played magic football. Teams could not stop us. The we started to get overrun in the middle. Our form suffered. We had been found out. Griff helped to shore up a midfield with no bite and did a decent job. We manged to go up. Was it down to Griff.. Yes partly, but no more so than the likes of Shuker and Morsy and everyone who played their part.

I know i go around everywhere just to get to the point at times and so i suppose that all in all my main point is why anyone can moan at what i see as a great addition to the squad, whether first team or not.

On Twitter cries of "Why oh why" and "One step forward two steps backwards" are uncalled for imo.

League 1 reserve team then?

My point about opinions was that if you don't agree that everything Micky does is right, every signing he makes is brilliant and his tactics are spot on, then you are not "getting behind the lads" and you are somewhat of a lower class of supporter, which quite frankly is big hairy ball sacks.

I never once mentioned that though and wouldnt even think that of you anyway.

There was a time you could have a real heated debate on here for pages and pages. Most were a great read. Now though, as soon as someone throws a heated exchange into the equation you get the likes of "its my opinion and im so sorry it doesnt meet your agenda" and the one youve brought up there about Micky can do no wrong and all of his signings have to be great.

Its the easy way out Steve.

Griff is no worldbeater. Far from it. Neither was Andy Porter and he captained a championship team. Both are/were 2 of my favourite Vale players for one reason. You know exactly what to expect. Hard work, commitment, effort and the will to win. I used to think thats what us Vale fans wanted in a player.

We could have done a hell of a lot worse in signing Griff.

Archived