onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Your best world 11 last season?

TylerB

I like to do these every season and I have a bit of time to spare this morning, so why not. I've done my best to pick a balanced side and not just one with all the best attacking players. Here's mine -

Manuel Neuer (FC Bayern)

Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham Hotspur)

Gerard Piqué (FC Barelona)

Pablo Zabaleta (Man City)

Garteh Bale (Tottenham Hotspur)

Juan Mata (Chelsea)

Samit Khedira (Real Madrid)

Bastien Schweinsteiger (FC Bayern)

Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)

Lionel Messi (FC Barcelona)

Robert Lewandowski (Borussia Dortmund)

Some very tough choices. I thought Jan Vertonghen had a superb first-season at White Hart Lane. I think Zabaleta has been Man City's outstanding player this season so for me he just edges out Sergio Ramos of Real Madrid. He's also a better defender. I really wanted to include Arjen Robben who I've always rated as a player and of course scored the winning goal in the Champions League Final at Wembley last weekend, but I gave Bale the nod as he was Tottenham's difference in the majority of games this season. Up front was an extremely difficult choice to find a partner for Lionel Messi, but I just about went for Robert Lewandowski over Robin Van Persie, Falcao and Luis Suarez.

Advert

I like to do these every season and I have a bit of time to spare this morning, so why not. I've done my best to pick a balanced side and not just one with all the best attacking players. Here's mine -

Manuel Neuer (FC Bayern)

Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham Hotspur)

Gerard Piqué (FC Barelona)

Pablo Zabaleta (Man City)

Garteh Bale (Tottenham Hotspur)

Juan Mata (Chelsea)

Samit Khedira (Real Madrid)

Bastien Schweinsteiger (FC Bayern)

Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)

Lionel Messi (FC Barcelona)

Robert Lewandowski (Borussia Dortmund)

Some very tough choices. I thought Jan Vertonghen had a superb first-season at White Hart Lane. I think Zabaleta has been Man City's outstanding player this season so for me he just edges out Sergio Ramos of Real Madrid. He's also a better defender. I really wanted to include Arjen Robben who I've always rated as a player and of course scored the winning goal in the Champions League Final at Wembley last weekend, but I gave Bale the nod as he was Tottenham's difference in the majority of games this season. Up front was an extremely difficult choice to find a partner for Lionel Messi, but I just about went for Robert Lewandowski over Robin Van Persie, Falcao and Luis Suarez.

and why no tom pope?

Top heavy with premiership players. Not a Brazilian or Italian in sight.

An impossible selection process - saw none of these players in the flesh last season and only a few in live televised matches - so would be picking on reputation and hearsay.

World 11? Players from just three European countries make up a world 11?

Who would you include then that isn't playing in the three best competitions in the world? I can't think of anyone playing in Seria A for example who I could possibly have in the starting 11 with the exception of perhaps Andrea Pirlo?

Obviously the fact that I watch a lot of English, Spanish and also a bit of German football has some influence on my choices.

Dear oh dear Colin, you mean an England/Spain/Germany World 11?

Again, please tell me who I've missed out that realistically could have been included that is playing in a different league to the one's you just mentioned?

01 Casillas

03 Pique

15 Ramos

17 Arbeloa

18 Alba

06 Iniesta (Mata - 87' )

08 Xavi

10 Fabregas (Torres - 75' )

14 Alonso

16 Busquets

21 Silva (Pedrito - 59' )

That is the side that beat Italy 4-0 in the final of the Euro Championships. Interestingly Casillas is still in the Spain squad despite the best efforts of the special one to never play him again, so he was and is the number 1 goalkeeper in the world. He let in one goal in six games in this tournament.

How to strengthen it. Well forget the Germans, they got terminated by Spain in the world cup and Italy here. So if Spain are 4-0 better than Italy .... You have to look to South America and Portugal. In come Messi and Ronaldo. Out go Fabrigas and Silva.

This is the best actual team ever.

FELIX (GK), BRITO, WILSON PIAZZA, CARLOS ALBERTO, CLODOALDO, JAIRZINHO, GERSON, TOSTAO, PELÉ, RIVELINO, EVERALDO

I know thats the world cup team for Brazil from 1970 but half of them players ive never even heard of.

01 Casillas

03 Pique

15 Ramos

17 Arbeloa

18 Alba

06 Iniesta (Mata - 87' )

08 Xavi

14 Alonso

16 Busquets

That is the side that beat Italy 4-0 in the final of the Euro Championships. Interestingly Casillas is still in the Spain squad despite the best efforts of the special one to never play him again, so he was and is the number 1 goalkeeper in the world. He let in one goal in six games in this tournament.

How to strengthen it. Well forget the Germans, they got terminated by Spain in the world cup and Italy here. So if Spain are 4-0 better than Italy .... You have to look to South America and Portugal. In come Messi and Ronaldo. Out go Fabrigas and Silva.

Forget the German's!!!!! You are crazy, their best two teams just competed for the Champions League with a few foreigners added in.

I agree the original post has too many Premier League players but yours has way to many Spanish to be the World Team of this Year.

01 Casillas

03 Pique

15 Ramos

17 Arbeloa

18 Alba

06 Iniesta (Mata - 87' )

08 Xavi

14 Alonso

16 Busquets

More nonsense. You do realise that using your logic, the whole Barcelona team can be forgotten because they lost 7-0 to Bayern?

Archived