onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Press Conference?

Yukon

6th lowest budget in the league so what? What matters is how you spend it. IMO, we should now start to look at some prem youngsters to keep costs down as well as mixing it up with a few proven players. Yeovil did it with a very low budget so anyone can. Personally, this season should be the consolidating season so anywhere around 14th or so ill take right this minute. Too many expecting too much in such a short amount of time... Oh and for Micky, well hes never really too happy when it comes to press conferences anyway.

Advert

Budgets mean naff all, its good, hungry for success players, wanting to prove their ability that built 'little old Port Vale' in the past and can do again in the future.

Budgets are often tailored to keep the Football League happy, as you are required to send them a copy that meets requirements. ;)

Considering we are relatively recently out of administration for the 2nd time, it amazes me how many of our fans expect some ridiculous hike in spending that could quite easily see us back there for a 3rd time. Especially when you consider the football league restrictions on teams that come out of administration and the new financial details fairplay rules.

Vale have never spent on the pitch! That has always been the problem. The problems that caused admin always meant the first team suffered and as a consequence, we were left in league two. infact how the club was run in admin proved it was a poorly run club. However I can't see the problem here.

There is a point we might be forgetting. Perhaps he did the Press Conferance before meeting Smurf. Don't forget they hadn't even sat down together before today, so for all we know Smurf might of give him an extra 20mil, unofficially of course. :D

Now where's that biscuit tin?

Vale have never spent on the pitch! That has always been the problem. The problems that caused admin always meant the first team suffered and as a consequence, we were left in league two. infact how the club was run in admin proved it was a poorly run club. However I can't see the problem here.

I would disagree. When we were in Division 3 in the 1988/89 we lost Sproston and Hazell to injury and to bolster our promotion push, we spent £200k on Glover and £75k on Gary West. The following summer we then spent £200k on Aspin. Then there was Foyle for £300k, McCarthy, and Ainsworth for £500k.

Why should our budget be that low based on 6500 crowds? Wouldn't that put us above half way in terms of attendances in league one? Are other clubs all being mental or something? Seems a strange and depressing thing to publicise at a stage when we're trying to sell season tickets too.

I agree and believe our playing budget will be around midtable. However, I read in the Evening Standard a few weeks ago that Brentford's budget topped £5m this season - and their crowds are almost identical to ours. I think there's a few teams spending well beyond their means or being bankrolled by wealthy owners - which usually only ends in disaster.

I would disagree. When we were in Division 3 in the 1988/89 we lost Sproston and Hazell to injury and to bolster our promotion push, we spent £200k on Glover and £75k on Gary West. The following summer we then spent £200k on Aspin. Then there was Foyle for £300k, McCarthy, and Ainsworth for £500k.

All of which was financed by outgoing transfers.

All of which was financed by outgoing transfers.

Irrelevant to the point I was making. We still spent on the pitch though. Which outgoing transfers financed Glover, West and Aspin? I can only think of one major sale prior to this; Andy Jones for £350k to Charlton. The three players mentioned cost close to half a million quid.

Archived