onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Run In

VantaaVale

18 pts from poss 36pts,keep the faith and stop moaning at home games,I'm running out of places to sit to avoid confrontation. This is our best team for years,support Mickey and the Team,we've fought the war,won the battles,now it's time for solid support to get out of this League,We are Vale we are better than this.Oxford here we come,we will push on!

Advert

Looking at the table, we just need to maintain our points-per-game ratio over the season thus far to go up automatically in my opinion.

If we maintain that ratio we should achieve 84 points. The nearest to that any team can reach (assuming they also maintain their ratio) is 78 (2-teams) - not counting Gills who would have 88.

For both of those teams to overtake us, or anyone else, they would need to drastically 'up' their current ratio and/or we would need to drop ours.

The goal-difference factor may also come into play of course.

In my opinion, we need to achieve 81 points to gain automatic promotion , thats another 18 points so 5 wins, 3 draws and 4 defeats.

Having achieved our first target of avoiding relegation, the next target is to secure at least a play-off spot, and then hopefully an automatic spot followed by the League Title - simple.

Love your scores, but feel these are more likely-(Vale score first in each game)

Oxford (A) - 1-1 tricky game

Bradford (H) - 1-1 would normally lose at home to a team in this placing, but they must be tired

Southend (H) - 0-1 Southend are same as Fleetwood, Chestefield, Exeter, Morecambe.

0-1 not 0-2 as defence improved.

Bristol Rovers (A) - 2-1 Vale away heroics stop a bad run and silence or at least slow down the worries.

York (A) - 2-0 Confidence growing as we again show well on the road.

Aldershot (H) - 2-1 Late winner, hard game with Aldershot battling hard but just enough extra quality

Cheltenham (H) - 0-1 No surprise as we are caught out again at Vale Park.

Chesterfield (A) - 1-2 Gutted by a bad ref and poor penalty against us, Richards scores winner.

Burton (H) - 3-2 Vale finally do it at home in a massive game that delights the fans.

Rochdale (A) - 0-0 Difficult game where Rochdale put up surprising resistance.

Northampton (H) - 1-1 Vale just keep ahead of their opponents in a nerve-wrnching game.

Wycombe (A) - 3-0 Promotion clinched in style and a wave of joy and relief overwhelms travelling army.

12 games, 8 points at home (2w 2d 2 l) 11 points away (3w 2d 1) 19 pts added total 82 pts (2nd).

With the above scanario, there would be unbelievable panic and loathing after the third game when we lose to Southend, followed by huge relief when we win the next three, and a big scare after losing to Cjheltenham and Chesterfield before it finally comes good. In other words, nomal service resumed.

Of course I will be wrong - but let's review it gamee by game and see how far ahead or behind we are. If we were to beat Oxford and Bradford that would make the rest seem a load less pressure !

You may not be too far wrong with those scores. They remind me of the 1972-73 season, when Vale missed out on promotionm after a poor run-in. I will always remember the Good Friday game at home to Bolton Wanderers which ended 2-2, after the ref played a generous amount of added time. Was it as much as 10 minutes? The attendance was over 14,000. Vale then got hammered away to Wrexham in the last game of the season. I was depressed for a week after that. Hopefully this run-in will be much better, although I have those same nervous, anxious feelings again. Following Vale is never easy is it? I would love Vale to finish as Champions , but that may not happen. We shall see. :)

You may not be too far wrong with those scores. They remind me of the 1972-73 season, when Vale missed out on promotionm after a poor run-in. I will always remember the Good Friday game at home to Bolton Wanderers which ended 2-2, after the ref played a generous amount of added time. Was it as much as 10 minutes? The attendance was over 14,000. Vale then got hammered away to Wrexham in the last game of the season. I was depressed for a week after that. Hopefully this run-in will be much better, although I have those same nervous, anxious feelings again. Following Vale is never easy is it? I would love Vale to finish as Champions , but that may not happen. We shall see. :)

Remember it well and as we went out of Railway Paddock we got bricked by Bolton fans from the Hamil.....Sam Allardyce was centre half in their team that day....wasn't your namesake kicked up hill and down dale? The Ref got kicked at the end as well with police dogs and fans on pitch.

Remember it well and as we went out of Railway Paddock we got bricked by Bolton fans from the Hamil.....Sam Allardyce was centre half in their team that day....wasn't your namesake kicked up hill and down dale? The Ref got kicked at the end as well with police dogs and fans on pitch.

He was indeed kicked up hill and down dale. I always liked John Woodward, after seeing him rifle in a goal against Blackburn that nearly burst the back of the net, and he had a good scoring record for Vale . I never liked Bolton after that day . They broke my heart that day. That was a good Vale side, and great times.

I remember that game well, all hell broke loose at the end, I remember an old lady in Lorne St who was always berating refs anyway but on this occasion decided to attack this ref with her brolly! :D

Think it was Easter Monday not Good Friday.

I remember that game well, all hell broke loose at the end, I remember an old lady in Lorne St who was always berating refs anyway but on this occasion decided to attack this ref with her brolly! :D

Football has a way of making things even... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGckn-0YVUw

A few disgruntled Bolton fans in the Railway Stand started throwing things iirc

Quite right Tosh, it was Easter Monday. I'm not sure the ref didn't deserve it . All that added time drove us all mental, and I'm not sure where he got it from. Great days though.

Looking at the table, we just need to maintain our points-per-game ratio over the season thus far to go up automatically in my opinion.

If we maintain that ratio we should achieve 84 points. The nearest to that any team can reach (assuming they also maintain their ratio) is 78 (2-teams) - not counting Gills who would have 88.

For both of those teams to overtake us, or anyone else, they would need to drastically 'up' their current ratio and/or we would need to drop ours.

The goal-difference factor may also come into play of course.

In my opinion, we need to achieve 81 points to gain automatic promotion , thats another 18 points so 5 wins, 3 draws and 4 defeats.

Having achieved our first target of avoiding relegation, the next target is to secure at least a play-off spot, and then hopefully an automatic spot followed by the League Title - simple.

Agree B H F apart from one major stumbling block

All teams have bad runs and the problem when it is your team you never know when it will end.

Once those last two months arrive [ March / April ] nerves or adrenalin play a major factor

Nerves affect you and suddenly you dont achieve what you have for 30+ games

Vale , Gillingham at home certainly, Torquay in some way

Adrenalin kicks in and you go on a run and achieve everything - Crewe last year.

Burton , Northampton - hope they fail soon and hit a bad spell

Wycombe won 8 and the lost 3 on the bounce

You need something special from now on. Not just skill but guts and determination

HOPE WE HAVE IT !!!!!

I think hell had already broken loose on the Bycars during the match.Remember a few Stokies up for that one, Bolton fans entering the Bycars uninvited .

looking at the run in there are going to be surprises all over the place alot of the top 10/11 are playing each other so going to be alot of twist and turns we might extend the gap and then it might close in who knows but its great to be up there and part of this for a change its been to long since this as happened :D bring it on

I think hell had already broken loose on the Bycars during the match.Remember a few Stokies up for that one, Bolton fans entering the Bycars uninvited .

Was in bycars that day. first time i heard a team sung with "the" before name IE," THE BOLTON".Vale regrouped though and ran them out singing "THE VALE.Resumed hostilities with them at bury 74-75.Ran them again as soon as p.m.t. turned up.

Another take on it.

Fag packet calculation, and it's only a bit of fun...BUT.....It looks like only 9 clubs can make the top 3 (famous last words)

I have given all 9 teams 3 points for every game, unless they were playing another of the promotion candidates, and in that case its a point each.... This is how it goes...

Southend who are 9th now would only be able to get 73 points (and remember thats winning every game unless they draw against fellow hopefuls)

Cheltenham would finish with 76

Exeter and Fleetwood 79 points.

Rotherham and Northampton 83

Burton 84 and Gillingham 91

So my point is, with games running out, even with fantastic runs from other clubs we would need to get to 83 points ! (up on goal difference) Oh and if Vale did as above we would finish with 89 !

Thats my bit done.

Archived