onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Hughes

Bernieseven

Advert

He will score goals, just hope it is not to the detriment of Pope who has now slipped back to provider.

We won 3-0 and you still managed to find something to moan about. I am happy about the 10 goals Port Vale have scored since Hughes signed and I am not concerned about the fact Pope has failed to find the net for 2 games!!

He will score goals, just hope it is not to the detriment of Pope who has now slipped back to provider.

With all due respect Phil, that's nonsense mate. This analogy of Pope and Hughes not being able to play together and subsequently getting in each others way is false.

They started together at Gillingham - they both scored. They started together at AFC Wimbledon - Pope scored, Hughes didn't. They started together on Saturday vs Accrington - Hughes scored twice, Pope didn't. They started together last night - Hughes scored, Pope didn't.

So, in the four games they've been paired together, Pope's scored in 2 out of 4, and Hughes has scored in 3 of the 4.

Seems like a blossoming partnership to me. :yes:

What's the difference between Pope scoring another 20 before the end of the season, or Huges getting 15 and Pope getting 5? Nothing. It's a team game, as long as we keep winning I couldn't give a monkeys who puts the ball in the net. Pope is class, whether he's making space for others or scoring himself.

We should be celebrating that we've got such an adaptable and successful forward line, not moaning!

Talk about an over-reaction to a post. No-one posted that they can't play together.

I too had concerns that Pope might defer to the role of provider, given his selfless contribution to team-mates.

However, after watching the last couple of games, I think the addition of Hughes has only added to Pope's game, and won't take away from his scoring. This combined with our inter changeable wingers means that our front four are presently outstanding.

I love that Hughes plays with a smile on his face, can tell he is just thankful that he can still play football...regardless of the level. Works his socks of for the team and chases everything. Before he signed I said he'd get us 10 goals between now and the end of the season. I ****ed up, should have said he'd get 15!

On the topic of Pope...if he was concerned he wouldn't have signed a new contract would he?!

Pope is now a marked man and defenders are doubling up on him. This allows other players room to score. Who cares who scores, as long as we win.

Defenders will have to choose who they double mark with both on the pitch, so Pope will have time again to score.

Hughes is a more experienced striker than Pope. Hughes does take up the positions where perhaps Pope would usually be and so Pope has had to adapt. However' date=' we needed a second striker, and we have got one, why should he be of lesser abaility than Pope? I actually thought Pope was class last night, his touch and the way he played in the wingers. He was also very unlucky not to get a goal, hitting the bar and having a shot blocked in the second half. Make no mistake about it Hughes is the consistent career proven goal machine, but Pope's all round game is a class above this level and even when he doesn't get goals, his value to the team at least equals that of Hughes.[/quote']

Totally agree..... And was one of the few who said last season when Pope was having all the stick that he is excellent as the second striker and would be my first choice to play alongside either Rigg or Richards ( got stick then as well) just hope that if the goals dry up then those same fickle fans don't start moaning about Popes goal ratio again!!

Totally agree..... And was one of the few who said last season when Pope was having all the stick that he is excellent as the second striker and would be my first choice to play alongside either Rigg or Richards ( got stick then as well) just hope that if the goals dry up then those same fickle fans don't start moaning about Popes goal ratio again!!

Who's going to moan he's already got 25 for the season... Just because he hasn't scored in two games dosent mean that the goals will dry up at all! Either pope or Hughes will score against barnet I don't see the problem.

I was desperate for us to sign him and was gutted and damned annoyed with the ****-up in November.

I'm normally a bit on the pessimistic side but as soon as we signed him I just knew promotion was ours - I keep saying it ... no defence in League 2 will handle JMW, Pope, Hughes and Vincent.

Another Hughesy thread... Anyway hes ace. Cant believe someone on here posted before the Accrington game that they didnt think he would score 5 goals before the end of the season!

That was before I had seen him live though, he didn't look that good on the television but you can't fully appreciate the off the ball stuff because the camera follows the ball when they aren't doing meaningful close-ups of random things. I think I said I hoped to be proved wrong. Although he hasn't actually scored 5 yet...

Archived