onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Should I stay or Should I go?

Boslem Boy

Much has been said recently about Tom Pope & the interest he is getting from clubs who may be in the market for a prolific striker.

Some have stated he would stay whilst others have said he would be tempted to leave because of the higher standard of football and or wages.

There is no doubt that Tom and his family are Vale fans. Tom is living the dream at the moment. He is playing for his home town club, a team he has supported and watched from the terraces as a youngster. There is no doubt that Pope is the fittest he has ever been, he is playing the football that suits him and he is more prolific than at any time in his career.

Lets not forget however that we as a club do not have to sell him and as a club we could match or better any offers from other clubs.

We can all try and second guess what Pope will do not just as a family man, a supporter and a player. But what would the rest of us do in his position?

Me personally, I would have to put my family first whether I liked it or not. If a club came in with a substantial improvement in wages from a higher league then I would reluctantly move. However if a club from down south from our division doubled my wages then sorry but my love of Vale would make me stay.

We are all individuals like The Pope and we cannot criticise him.............. EVER for what he eventually decides to do if a big offer comes in. But as Vale fans what would you do in his position and why?

Advert

This may be the shortest thread ever, because you've answered your own question and got it bang on.

Tom is a Vale fan, and can be pretty confident of playing in League One next year with the Vale. He's also got 18 months left on his contract. With that in mind, he won't be going to anywhere until at least the summer. If he does get the chance to go to a Championship club and triple / quadruple his money, then of course he'd put his family first and snatch their hands off.

Don't forget though, he's not the youngest and he's already had a go at the higher leagues with Rotherham. Just like Championship clubs won't be queuing up for Adams after Sheff Utd, will clubs really be queuing up for Pope?

Of course, the perfect option would be for him to prove his worth the Vale so we can double / triple his money with the extra we'd get from being in the upper reaches of League One.

Edit : one of the reasons why he's so prolific this season is the service he's getting. Will a higher league club want the triple of Pope / JMW / Vincent?

Why did Rooney leave Everton? Beckham not play for West Ham?[/quote]

Thats it , brilliant, he's the big name signing to be announced on tuesday. Linking up again with Birchall at the ground where he made his 1st team debut.

I know for certain that about a month ago the contract had not been signed, the 15 goals only triggered that he could sign a extension but he still has to agree to it ! Things may have changed since I hope so, I know the family well and all he wants is to get vale promoted top lad Tom is !!!!

No mate not what I was told he still had to agree to the extra year, look at it from his point of view he is in a much stronger position now to negotiate a new deal than just having an extra year on his current deal !

Yeah you right swinner.

He will get us promoted then get a great contract here I'm certain and he will be happy and sign it.

Get promoted he will double his wages here for sure.

No mate not what I was told he still had to agree to the extra year, look at it from his point of view he is in a much stronger position now to negotiate a new deal than just having an extra year on his current deal !

So are you saying if he were to go in the summer we would get nowt because he would be out of contract??

Yeah you right swinner.

He will get us promoted then get a great contract here I'm certain and he will be happy and sign it.

Get promoted he will double his wages here for sure.

Exactly mate sure he will stay if we go up, unless a club offers daft money for him in the summer then you can't blame him. It would be our own fault for not offering him a two year contract in the first place, but hindsight is a wonderful thing .

Archived