onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope - Legend?

Alan Baker

This season? I wouldn't. Loft is a player that can do no wrong in the same way that Yates can do no right for many. Loft is a good player' date=' but injury prone and only a good left back against poor opposition. In centre mid, we've not seem him there much this season. In the past he was best of a poor bunch. Now we have Burger, Morsy, James not sure he'd walk straight into a CM place. If we go up this season it will go down in history as "The Pope Season" and he'll be a legend in my book.[/quote']

Too true

Loft had one terrific half season.

Before this he was a bright spark in a poor squad

The rest of his time he has :

1 / struggled to keep himself free from injury

2 / struggled to hold down a place in the first eleven

3 / certainly struggled to give us goals from his midfield position

4 / he owes us big style and owes us some consistant performances - if and when he gets back in

Pope is on a tremendous run. Long may it continue.

Advert

The whole Vale squad and management will go down as Legends IF we get promoted this season.:yes:

That may well sound a bit extreme but for those 'young uns' amongst the Vale faithful who have yet to witness a single Vale promotion in the best part of two decades of supporting the Vale (and the misery of two relegations during that spell); it will be easier to understand where I'm coming from.

Tom Pope is having a cracking season and is proving supporters, me included, wrong. To say he is an all time legend though is premature. To be classed as a legend like Foyle, Earle, Porter, Sproson, Walker etc he will have to have more than one good season.

I can understand though why some have suggested that he could be classed as a legend. But this is only because we havent really had a Vale legend for years. In the 90s most of our team were legends. I m really struggling to think of any players that i would class as legends in the last decade. I guess you could possibly have Vile Viljanen.

As a born and bred Vale fan there's no doubt he's living the dream. He's already accomplished what 99.99% of us could only ever dream of.

At the very least he can/probably will become a Bob Newton type cult hero. That's not bad to be going on with. The question is how far can he go after that?

I hate RS. Why don't they try and unsettle Shawcross and leave us alone. The Pope is going nowhere unless the club gets a huge offer because he has another year on his contract. Tom is our talisman.

Because that doesn't fit in with their agenda of sucking Pulis' and Coates' cocks. Anyway, who would want Shawcross? Arsenal, Man United, Man City and Chelsea all have better defenders. Shawcross can't pass the ball like Liverpool would want.

Tom Pope is having a cracking season and is proving supporters, me included, wrong. To say he is an all time legend though is premature. To be classed as a legend like Foyle, Earle, Porter, Sproson, Walker etc he will have to have more than one good season.

Depends what you mean by legend I guess. The above were all very good players but legends? What makes a good player a legend? I'd only have two of the above as "legends". Good player, then some factor x required - so with Popey, the fact he's a Vale fan, at the age of 27 suddenly becomes a 30 goal striker from nowhere when he was basically all we were left with up front after admin and then propels us into the top three for our first promotion for a thousand years. If this happens that's legend material for me.

Is a legend with the goal scoring record that he now holds. Last season set up most of the goals. This season scoring loads and plays a big part in most of the other goals that the team score. Suspended against Bradford- we didn't score. Local- loves the Vale! The question mark needs to be removed from the title of the thread.

Good player at maximum fitness, he could play at Championship level. I would expect him to move on - like La Fondra - if he finishes as top scorer in the league at the end of the season. Being a Vale fan does not alter the facts of life and employment. Only 8 behind Messi in early December!

Archived