onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope - Legend?

Alan Baker

Advert

he was actually playing his role well. but because of the system we were playing he didnt get that many clear cut chances. sometimes his knock downs were not finding the other striker and thus made him look inept at times. His work rate was good, but many judged him solely on 'goals scored'. now his role is to hold the ball up knock it to wide men or on coming midfield and then get on the end of the cross/throughball and then find the onion bag....we sing feed the pope...but he actually prepares the meal and then gets it served to him on a plate:laugh:

spot on. his all round play has always been superb, he just never got into scoring positions before because everything went through rico. even so, i'm still amazed at his progression this year. he is the real deal, but would he play so well for anyone else? not sure. but i wouldn't hold it against him if he wanted off at the end of the season to see if he could.

I heard TP's interview on RS this morning and he mentioned that as a kid he only ever had three hopes in football:

To play for the Vale;

To score for the Vale;

To get promoted with the Vale.

It brought a tear to my eye. It's real "Roy of the Rovers" stuff.

I have to admit my heart sank when he re-signed in the summer but thank God that he did and proved how little I know about football.

Tom, thanks for showing us all what real football passion is all about.

Million miles away from being a legend as yet.

I like others completely admit he has proved us wrong but he has done so for less than half a season so far and you only have to look at some of the abuse Rico will get tomorrow to realise he would be hounded too if he left for money and came back. Rico did it consistently for 3 to 4 seasons and I still wouldn't class him as a legend.

Doing brilliantly for 100 games rather than 25 and I may reassess but legend is gifted away too easily and doesn't do justice to the true legends of the club.

I like others completely admit he has proved us wrong but he has done so for less than half a season so far and you only have to look at some of the abuse Rico will get tomorrow to realise he would be hounded too if he left for money and came back. Rico did it consistently for 3 to 4 seasons and I still wouldn't class him as a legend.

Sometimes I don't think it's how long you are at a club, I think Tom Pope IS already a legend, he loves the Vale, loves scoring for the Vale and he is the best player we have seen in a Vale shirt for many a year.

Sometimes I don't think it's how long you are at a club, I think Tom Pope IS already a legend, he loves the Vale, loves scoring for the Vale and he is the best player we have seen in a Vale shirt for many a year.

Earle, Beckford, Guppy, Taylor, Naylor, Chamberlain? I'm not sure about many a year. I still think personally he's proving to be outstanding this season but of the current squad i'd still rate him second to Loft for overall contribution.

I still think personally he's proving to be outstanding this season but of the current squad i'd still rate him second to Loft for overall contribution.

This season? I wouldn't. Loft is a player that can do no wrong in the same way that Yates can do no right for many. Loft is a good player, but injury prone and only a good left back against poor opposition. In centre mid, we've not seem him there much this season. In the past he was best of a poor bunch. Now we have Burger, Morsy, James not sure he'd walk straight into a CM place. If we go up this season it will go down in history as "The Pope Season" and he'll be a legend in my book.

Archived