onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cambridge (H) Match Thread - 27th April

Advert

8 hours ago, grand prix pants said:

I thought it was a really mature performance from Gibbo. He had no need to go bombing on. They needed 1 point and got it pretty comfortably. He spent most of the game telling his teammates to slow it down and stay calm.

Exactly this. It just shows yet again that some people just don’t understand the game they’re watching, they expect every player to get the ball and do something like they’re on a school playground with their mates, without taking into context what’s happening around an actual proper game of professional football. Take Shorrock as an example today, lost the ball countless times by running into traffic or running it out of play. A totally immature performance from him. Why? Because running around trying to beat players or sling crosses in just loses possession easily. Ultimately Cambridge just needed to keep the ball and see the game out. Which they did comfortably in that second half, all without giving it away needlessly and without really exerting themselves. Job done from their point of view. That’s why it had preseason friendly feel about it because they didn’t need to do anything and we had nothing to play for.

I was chatting to some of their fans as we were walking up to the game and we were talking about how we had failed to sign anyone decent up front and at full back, so we asked how their signings in those areas had done. They were singing the praises of Ahadme up front, saying he was aggressive, good in the air and a real handful and him coming back from injury was a big reason why they’d stayed up. They said Gibbo had helped to shore them up, add bite, defensive experience and could play multiple positions. They hoped both of them could be signed next season. They also warned us of touching Lyle Taylor and Bonne in league two, which they think is where they'll both drop to. Interestingly they hoped they’d release Kaikai too, i had always rated him when we’d played against him before. Reality is that they managed to get in defensive and forward options, whilst we didn’t. 

• Like 2

On 25/04/2024 at 21:54, PV1973 said:

The players haven’t been good enough, but I think the booing should be more directed at the people responsible for putting this shitshow together (I know flitcroft has gone). 

I think you’re over egging it by saying he’s been a major contributor. He’s been part of it, but there’s been so many things that have happened this season with loads of players out of form, mistakes galore, managers constantly changing line ups and formations, the club not adding good enough players to the squad. We’ve been unsettled all season. But to pick smith out as a major contributing factor is wrong IMO. 

Remember when you said smith threw Vale games because he’s a Stoke fan? Well that post you’ve just put is up there with that in terms as one of the most stupid and ridiculous things I’ve read on here. 

How do you get on in day to day life if you come across a stoke fan?

IMG_0679.gif

I failed to notice the early kick off! 

Edited by Warren
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Moorlander said:

It flew over at 12.30 plenty of video evidence on X of them laughing at us.

Who cares? If they want to waste their money that’s up to them. Both clubs are going backwards at the moment and have a lot of work to do to arrest the decline.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Valiiant said:

If we have a decent summer and show a bit of ambition I don't think next season has to be such a grind. Smith, Iacovitti and Debrah will be fine in the league below. If we can keep Ripley then that's a good, solid back five for a League Two side. Mitch Clark, if he can actually stay fit, is a good full-back at that level. And dare I say it, if we keep one of Loft or Ikpeazu then surely they can have a bit more success playing against lesser players every week. If we somehow manage to keep hold of Garrity and Ojo then we should have a decent League Two side with some clever additions.

Personally I think we need a complete overhaul. Debrah and Yak don’t look good enough to me to attain a top half L2 finish. As for Uche and Loft they wouldn’t be out of place in the National League. Carol really needs to invest in the Summer to turn this oil tanker round as there are lots of examples of clubs going straight through L2. 

Edited by soothsayer
  • Like 5

Keep 

Ripley 

Smith 

Ben G 

Chissy 

Plant 

Baylee 

Shorrock

Sang -Midfield only

clarke 

let go if they mess about 

OJo -ask him if he want it - if any thought get rid 

Walters - sign contract or go 

The rest Release 

11 minutes ago, Rockape99 said:

OJo -ask him if he want it - if any thought get rid 

He's not really going to say no when we were stupid enough to give him a long term contract exentsion.

Do not give him a choice, tell him to go find another club.

Awful footballer

Just now, Brian Johnson said:

He's not really going to say no when we were stupid enough to give him a long term contract exentsion.

Do not give him a choice, tell him to go find another club.

Awful footballer

I’m so 50’50 with him as with his head on he’s top class as he been since feb I get rid . Glad Moore making the calls 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Phil Sproson was not at all happy with the way that Gibbons played yesterday. So, I think your above comment is a bit harsh.

Not harsh at all. Cambridge didn’t need to do anything. It’s not on them to entertain Phil Sproson or us. They just needed to take a point. I wouldn’t put any credence in what Sproson says about players anyway, remember when he used to single out Clark and Gibbo for strange and undue criticism? The club allegedly had to get in touch with the bbc about him. Rumour is that certain players who he tried to sign up got slated and players he had under his wing like Crookes got praise. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Not harsh at all. Cambridge didn’t need to do anything. It’s not on them to entertain Phil Sproson or us. They just needed to take a point. I wouldn’t put any credence in what Sproson says about players anyway, remember when he used to single out Clark and Gibbo for strange and undue criticism? The club allegedly had to get in touch with the bbc about him. Rumour is that certain players who he tried to sign up got slated and players he had under his wing like Crookes got praise. 

It is all about opinions, I guess.

I also never get the clammer to re-sign him.

Since he left, scratch, that was released, a month does not go by with someone saying we should bring him back.

Edited by Brian Johnson

2 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

I’m glad the season’s over. It puts us out of our misery. Taking a 4 month break now to steady myself for Crawley/ Accrington etc away . Maybe we will sign a striker for a change. Have a nice Summer , Vale fans everywhere.  UTV 

Crawley disposed Wozza in the L2 playoffs on the last day. 

Edited by Warren

24 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

It is all about opinions, I guess.

I also never get the clammer to re-sign him.

Since he left, scratch, that was released, a month does not go by with someone saying we should bring him back.

I don’t believe we released him, I heard we tired to get players from the promotion season to sign on the cheap in that window, Benning and proctor being the other players offered crappy deals IIRC, so he was one that turned it down.  Maybe that was the beginnings of flictcrofts shortcomings in recruitment? Im certain I heard Yates on the radio just after the summer window closed saying that we tried to bring Gibbo back in, but couldn’t shift certain players on to make room. He’d be a  good addition IMO, but I think he could well stay in league one or even be an option for a club looking to get our o league two with a decent budget. Now this seasons over I’m really looking forward to the window now seeing who we bring in and if it gives us any indication of how Moore is going to set up too. 

Edited by PV1973