onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Option for DOF or similar role

Advert

18 hours ago, sheffieldclayhead said:

Decision for next season - this season L1 survival 

I’d suggest whoever will be looking into recruitment for next season needs to be in place soon if we are to be approaching targets once this season ends in May. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alkie said:

I’d suggest whoever will be looking into recruitment for next season needs to be in place soon if we are to be approaching targets once this season ends in May. 

This. Clubs will already be identifying targets and sorting their released list for next season. 

Our recruitment manager is still there? Flitcroft said he was not considering relegation, so the lists will already be there for L1. Upto Darren to choose.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

On 24/03/2024 at 11:36, Essex Vale said:

For me Martin Foyle would be a good head of recruitment and to be Carol's football advisor in the Boardroom.  Whoever is appointed needs to get on well with Darren Moore, be good at PR with supporters, offer good advice, but keep a low profile in team matters.

The perfect template was John Rudge in his time with that other team in partnership with Tony Pulis.  Rudgie is ideal where he is now so that role is not for him now.   There may be others, but so far Tin is the man for me.  Leon Legge has no experience beyond playing.  Neil Warnock, great manager, but not an advisor.

Nothing will happen until the season is over I feel.

Martin Foyle was a star as a player and is a star as a person, a genuine Vale legend who is always welcome at the club.

But the suggestion that "Martin Foyle would be a good head of recruitment" either wasn't around for the 2007-2008 season or has wiped it from their memory.

Sorry to make people relive the pain, but have a read about the recruitment for that season ...

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

It doesn’t bother me either way about Foyle, but I think it’s a daft question to ask about what gems he’s unearthed to justify him now being right for us. Because how would anyone know what gems he’s unearthed when no one is following the clubs he’s worked for? All people are seeing is that he’s been working in the game at that role for the last 10 years or so, on the face of it thats a lot of experience working as a head of recruitment.  Also it’s not just necessarily about unearthing gems, it’s also about having the right contacts, building teams by bringing in the right type of players for them. 
What a crazy comment.

"Let's hire a bloke to sign good players with no track record of doing this for other clubs".

Sent from my SM-G981B using onevalefan mobile app

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

This. Clubs will already be identifying targets and sorting their released list for next season. 

Pv1973, the released list will be very short as the majority are under contract for another twelve months, I can’t see us having the money to pay up their contracts. None of them have covered themselves in any glory this season so I can’t see us being able to sell them. As I said previously, I think we’ll need to strengthen even if relegated, so the best thing would be to try and get some of these lay abouts out on loan. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

What a crazy comment.

"Let's hire a bloke to sign good players with no track record of doing this for other clubs".

Do you know what you’re on about? You’ve moved your goalposts a bit.
The club will decide on the track record of a prospective director of football / head of recruitment, not a bloke on a forum asking other fans what “gems they’ve unearthed”. It’s not just about “gems” to build a football team. Remember that was your sole question about Foyle and you took great pleasure in quoting yourself and saying no one could answer you. But how could they when fans know nothing about other clubs and their recruitment? Like I said it’s up to Vale to decide that. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:

Pv1973, the released list will be very short as the majority are under contract for another twelve months, I can’t see us having the money to pay up their contracts. None of them have covered themselves in any glory this season so I can’t see us being able to sell them. As I said previously, I think we’ll need to strengthen even if relegated, so the best thing would be to try and get some of these lay abouts out on loan. 

i would imagine that Moore will want to cut some of them loose, maybe other clubs will take them and their contracts get cancelled without the need for a fee.   

Do you know what you’re on about? You’ve moved your goalposts a bit.
The club will decide on the track record of a prospective director of football / head of recruitment, not a bloke on a forum asking other fans what “gems they’ve unearthed”. It’s not just about “gems” to build a football team. Remember that was your sole question about Foyle and you took great pleasure in quoting yourself and saying no one could answer you. But how could they when fans know nothing about other clubs and their recruitment? Like I said it’s up to Vale to decide that. 
People are suggesting we appoint Foyle as DoF to oversee recruitment.

I asked if anyone has examples of good signings made while he was Head of Recruitment at St Mirren/Morecambe etc.

No one was able to answer.

What is so hard to understand about that?

Surely, if people are suggesting Foyle, they would be able to back it up other than "he was a good striker for us in the 90s".

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Surely, if people are suggesting Foyle, they would be able to back it up other than "he was a good striker for us in the 90s".

100% this. I'd entertain Foyle as a candidate for DOF (why not), but think we should be doing due diligence anyway and considering others too. 

He wouldn't be my first choice (I don't have a first choice), as I'm not particularly won over by the past connection link. That alone is reason enough for me to run 100 miles in the other direction.

Will say holding his time as manager in recruitment against him, is particularly harsh though. This is almost 20 years ago now. 

I just hope though that Carol's spent her time networking well over the past few years, there should be people in mind already based on her connections built in that time. 

If we're still at square one in that regard then it's more than a bit worrying.

I just hope whatever structure and plan going forward, that the club are confident in it, and it works. 

• Like 3

100% this. I'd entertain Foyle as a candidate for DOF (why not), but think we should be doing due diligence anyway and considering others too. 
He wouldn't be my first choice (I don't have a first choice), as I'm not particularly won over by the past connection link. That alone is reason enough for me to run 100 miles in the other direction.
Will say holding his time as manager in recruitment against him, is particularly harsh though. This is almost 20 years ago now. 
I just hope though that Carol's spent her time networking well over the past few years, there should be people in mind already based on her connections built in that time. 
If we're still at square one in that regard then it's more than a bit worrying.
I just hope whatever structure and plan going forward, that the club are confident in it, and it works. 

Carol hopefully will have someone in mind at another club. Alternatively, a restructuring of the DoF function within the club of the responsibilities carried out previously. Recruitment and negotiations within the allocated budget of all types of player in particular.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app