onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Flitcroft gone

Bede

1 hour ago, Hoppers said:

I know the anti-christ has just departed, but TBH I'm still smarting (probably more so now) from Auntie Carols you lot of naughty boys open letter - just saying 😢😢😢

I genuinely hope that she apologises for that.  It was utterly ludicrous to publish.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Advert

19 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Right decision, I dont hate the bloke and can be balanced about the many positives (youth system, set up, DC, promotion squad) but he seemed more out of his depth in the role in L1.

It's hard for Port Vale in League One to be fair. 

We've got to get somebody else in to oversee the football side now anyway. Time to go out and get a competent manager, turn around a football team used to losing, and get promotion from League Two quickly. I wonder if we can get somebody in to do that as well as David Flitcroft did it.

25 minutes ago, NW9Valiant said:

I mean he really couldn’t though. Once you’re out of the football grind for even a season the knowledge drops. The game moves by so fast. I’m sure Rudge knows people in the game still as he’s respected but he’ll have no where near the capacity to do any kind of role. 

If we ever want the club to do better than we have done, we need to not look at the past. 

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, squire

16 minutes ago, Rory said:

We've got to get somebody else in to oversee the football side now anyway. Time to go out and get a competent manager, turn around a football team used to losing, and get promotion from League Two quickly. I wonder if we can get somebody in to do that as well as David Flitcroft did it.

I don't think we need a DOF 

Let the manager crack on with it 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Smallthorne clampet said:

But we fired the people with the skill !

So get new people with the skill. If it’s the same folk as before then great but I’m not a fan of going back. Accept it’s not working and move on. 

20 minutes ago, Rory said:

It doesn't have to be hard really if we do the basics right, there are plenty of smaller clubs or clubs of equal size doing ok at this level. Stevenage, Cobblers, Orient, Rovers, Exeter for example.

We just seem to have this "little old Port Vale" mentality and always have had for some reason.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

It doesn't have to be hard really if we do the basics right, there are plenty of smaller clubs or clubs of equal size doing ok at this level. Stevenage, Cobblers, Orient, Rovers, Exeter for example.

We just seem to have this "little old Port Vale" mentality and always have had for some reason.

They'll all go down again at some point in the near future as well because it's hard.

45 minutes ago, Bede said:

I genuinely hope that she apologises for that.  It was utterly ludicrous to publish.

Apologies? Why not just let it go?  It was simply misguide from someone under a lot of pressure, no worse than that in my view.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Nippy Naylor said:

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, squire

Sure.

36 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

this "little old Port Vale" mentality

Carol apparently used this exact phrasing talking about the club hasn’t she? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nippy Naylor said:

I don't think we need a DOF 

Let the manager crack on with it 

Who's going to find the manager and drive the football side of the club? Paddy? We need somebody who understands the sport at least.

2 hours ago, Killersrevenge44 said:

Sense has prevailed at last.

But for the short term, nothing much is going to change. We still have a totally unbalanced & inadequate squad lacking in quality & confidence.  As we all know only too well, unfortunately, the short term damage has already been done and we are going to have to hope that moving forward, there will be a more sensible set-up for player recruitment!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Devoid said:

DoF is not the same role at every club - each club has its own terms of reference for what duties the role has. To me, outside of First Team stuff, Flitcroft did a decent job - youth team players have markedly improved and this improvement needs to continue. The idea of these things being run under one umbrella and not in independent 'silos' is the correct one, in my opinion. The club is and should be more than just the first team and for me, in these times, a DoF is absolutely essential and good one will put us in a better position than similar stature clubs that don't have one.

Indeed. At many big clubs, transfer policy and recruitment is an entirely separate entity that is separate from a DOF 

55 minutes ago, Bede said:

There's another interpretation of that letter which is that Carol was setting the stage for his dismissal/resignation, giving him some face to walk away with, which ever it was. Countless times a football owner has heaped praise on an employee and then administered the chop.

Given the situation It's the right ending as DF didn't do a good job in the most important task/goal in his job description, ie recruitment and over a period of time, ca 4 windows. Vale need a change, probably in the whole DoF/manager/recruitment process and it needs to be got right.

DF has gone, hopefully Carol will remain at the helm, there is no need for an immediate apology from Carol as I'm sure the story will come out over time, she's much more astute and savvy than the fans give her credit for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

But for the short term, nothing much is going to change. We still have a totally unbalanced & inadequate squad lacking in quality & confidence.  As we all know only too well, unfortunately, the short term damage has already been done and we are going to have to hope that moving forward, there will be a more sensible set-up for player recruitment!

The ball is firmly in the court of Moore now to how the club is managed going forward.