Advert

David Flitcroft Out

Flitcroft out?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should David Flitcroft go?

• Yes
    • No

8 minutes ago, worldsendvalefan said:

I think a large part of this problem is that clubs in the premiership and championship now have much larger squads. Where they will employ footballers just to be bench warmers. Or just be part of an enhanced squad. It works for the players as they can earn far more as a rarely used squad player in the higher leagues than drop down to leagues 1 & 2 for first team football. Can't blame them. Would you tell your missus that you are going to up root all the family so you can earn less than a quarter of what you were.
It is the way football has been allowed by the authorities to develop.

Sent from my SM-A528B using onevalefan mobile app

I couldn’t disagree with your observations and maybe it’s time for more pressure to be put on the FA & Football League from the rest of football, we have clearly allowed the bigger clubs to monopolise the game. I’m under no illusions that money controls everything but it did make a difference when fans reacted to the European Super League.

Advert

57 minutes ago, worldsendvalefan said:

I think a large part of this problem is that clubs in the premiership and championship now have much larger squads. Where they will employ footballers just to be bench warmers. Or just be part of an enhanced squad. It works for the players as they can earn far more as a rarely used squad player in the higher leagues than drop down to leagues 1 & 2 for first team football. Can't blame them. Would you tell your missus that you are going to up root all the family so you can earn less than a quarter of what you were.
It is the way football has been allowed by the authorities to develop.

Exactly. I think Liverpool won the league one year in the 70s with 14 players. Just doesn't happen today. The grossly inflated Champions League has a lot to answer for. The old European Cup was a direct knockout. You could win it by playing a handful of games. Again it all boils down to money.

1 hour ago, Dr Delgado said:

I just cannot see this type of player putting on a Vale shirt whilst Flitcroft has his grip on power.

You won’t see that type of player as long as Carol is running the club and unable to spend any money. Even Rudge was still able to spend thousands because he could sell players on to generate funds which is impossible to do post Bosman as it is a player’s world where most can leave in the lower league’s for free. 

Football now is based on which club can successfully carry the largest debt for the longest period. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last year Man City pocketed £156M from selling young players, with just Foden a regular first teamer. from their Academy. Their Academy cost £200M 10 years ago, possibly the biggest in the world, but is now a nice little earner.  Another source of income for the Vale, if we can produce more youngsters than we can develop ourselves, and with the chance of a windfall, 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Last year Man City pocketed £156M from selling young players, with just Foden a regular first teamer. from their Academy. Their Academy cost £200M 10 years ago, possibly the biggest in the world, but is now a nice little earner.  Another source of income for the Vale, if we can produce more youngsters than we can develop ourselves, and with the chance of a windfall, 

They get the first pick of the best talent though. It's like saying that Eton is the best school in England and makes huge profits so a school in Burslem should copy them

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

Exactly. I think Liverpool won the league one year in the 70s with 14 players. Just doesn't happen today. The grossly inflated Champions League has a lot to answer for. The old European Cup was a direct knockout. You could win it by playing a handful of games. Again it all boils down to money.

I heard Souness on the radio, he was referring to a season where they used 15 players in all competitions one season and played 65 games. It was the same interview where he said they got a rollicking for passing sideways or backwards and that was just in training. He said that Ronnie Moran would say I’m 50 and can pass sidewards or backwards, so pass it forwards.

Edited by Playa Amodores
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Wrex said:

They get the first pick of the best talent though. It's like saying that Eton is the best school in England and makes huge profits so a school in Burslem should copy them

Except that I would never use Eton as an example of quality.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Killersrevenge44 said:

But she won't as has been proven.

You are now starting to see the light

Billy Belly or Bratty wouldnt have put up with this nonsense and neither would Smurf.

Decent post until you mentioned Smurf. 

3 hours ago, worldsendvalefan said:

Very true, which again proves that Flitcroft is not very good at his job

I was just trying to explain why these types of players are not as abundant as they once were. I was not trying to give Flitcroft an excuse. Because I don't think he has one. He thought he could bring in another Arblaster or Devine. Well he couldn't and it has left us high and dry.

We won't bring in another player like those for the next decade.  How long is it since we signed players that had that kind of impact?  It's not a sensible strategy to hang our hat on.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Bede said:

We won't bring in another player like those for the next decade.  How long is it since we signed players that had that kind of impact?  It's not a sensible strategy to hang our hat on.

I would completely agree. It's something to aspire to but you can't expect it every time. 

55 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Except that I would never use Eton as an example of quality.

Yes not a great example. But my point is that having a high quality academy benefits the club, no doubt about that, but it's another one of those things where perhaps the money would be better invested elsewhere seen as we only have a limited amount of funds.

We have more of a chance of getting an Arblaster or Devine now that we're a sensible football club trying to do things properly. Improving and maintaining the pitch and facilities will help.

We used to be a complete shambles of a football club owned/ran by con men but we're not in that place anymore. I really think we should have looked at getting a new ground though, there must have been a way.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Rory said:

We have more of a chance of getting an Arblaster or Devine now that we're a sensible football club trying to do things properly. Improving and maintaining the pitch and facilities will help.

We used to be a complete shambles of a football club owned/ran by con men but we're not in that place anymore. I really think we should have looked at getting a new ground though, there must have been a way.

What will you make of it all if we go down, Rory?