onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New Manager is ?

Fosse69

Comparing Kennedy too Clarke is like comparing a race horse to a Shetland. One had various success stories and promotions on his CV when he came to us, the other has been a failure everywhere he's been.

I do think he will be our new manager as he has both of the key ingredients required, that being he'll be cheap and not having a lot of sway to override our Director of Failure

I think you're being unfair to Shetland ponies, hard working, built to pull carts and plough fields, used during the industrial revolution down coal mines to pull coal trucks, and now used to help vulnerable children due to their size and pacified disposition.
Whereas a race horse can only run fast or for a long distance and the only people it serves are gamblers.
Back on topic, I don't know who the next manger will be and I don't much care for what their previous history is - it's what they do in the next 3 months to start with, with the squad of players available that concerns me.
Where or not they have been successful previously will have absolutely no relevance to our plight, whoever gets the job will have my full backing, because they will definitely need it.

Advert

Micky Adams had managed in the Champ and Premier League. I think Moore’s champ experience makes him more compatible.
The reason he would come is because despite all the recent issues, he’d arrive with the backing of fans and owners. 

I feel the biggest problem with the higher profile manager is that they tend to have their own entourage of backroom staff and preferred assistant which is where the costs may prove too much.  
The costs may not prove too much if we use any saved transfer monies we didn't use in January.
Also there's the transfer fees from the young lads we have sold.
It's a calculated risk against the cost of relegation and I'm sure Carol is quite capable of doing the sums.

1 hour ago, sheffield61 said:

UPDATE.,...BET VICTOR have just reinstated the book.....

Darren Moore 1/3

Mark Kennedy 9/4

16/1 BAR.....

I PREY they're RIGHT, Moore is by far the best one available ATM.....👍💖

Your 24 hours late the book opened yesterday morning, DM 2/5 Kennedy 5/2 Midday DM 1/4 Kennedy 4/1 mid afternoon thing's settled down DM 1/3 Kennedy 4/9 

9 hours ago, Warren said:

Kennedy has played for and coached at top clubs. Our last manager can't claim that and nor could Clarke really. A bit unfair as he has gained promotions.

Having played for some good clubs sometimes then coaching at them follows on when a player comes to around 'retirement' age i.e mid 30s(if that's what they want) so I'd say opportunities to get his foot in the door with coaching/managing would have been greater for Kennedy.  Clarke wasn't a particularly great player in the grander scheme of things(played all his career in the 3rd and 4th tiers), that's not a criticism but possibly means he's had to work harder to work his way up more as a coach/manager as he won't necessarily have the contacts from his playing days.  In fact I think his first managerial role was Salisbury who were Southern League/NLS standard.

That's not to say Kennedy hasn't worked hard but he probably had a grounding at clubs who employ a dozen coaches or more and opportunities becoming available in the revolving door of football management/coaching if you apply for enough lower league jobs and put you've worked at a big club on your CV I'd imagine eventually one may come knocking?  Whereas Clarke was in non league management before working for Bristol Rovers, Walsall and ourselves who employ half that number of people in the coaching set up.  If he'd failed at Salisbury that may have been game over for him in terms of any sort of professional management career.

Of course both may end up at the same level of management and facing each other on Saturday(I hope not personally as I'd prefer DM but we'll see), but I guess it just shows the 2 ends of the scale in some ways.

14 minutes ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

Having played for some good clubs sometimes then coaching at them follows on when a player comes to around 'retirement' age i.e mid 30s(if that's what they want) so I'd say opportunities to get his foot in the door with coaching/managing would have been greater for Kennedy.  Clarke wasn't a particularly great player in the grander scheme of things(played all his career in the 3rd and 4th tiers), that's not a criticism but possibly means he's had to work harder to work his way up more as a coach/manager as he won't necessarily have the contacts from his playing days.  In fact I think his first managerial role was Salisbury who were Southern League/NLS standard.

That's not to say Kennedy hasn't worked hard but he probably had a grounding at clubs who employ a dozen coaches or more and opportunities becoming available in the revolving door of football management/coaching if you apply for enough lower league jobs and put you've worked at a big club on your CV I'd imagine eventually one may come knocking?  Whereas Clarke was in non league management before working for Bristol Rovers, Walsall and ourselves who employ half that number of people in the coaching set up.  If he'd failed at Salisbury that may have been game over for him in terms of any sort of professional management career.

Of course both may end up at the same level of management and facing each other on Saturday(I hope not personally as I'd prefer DM but we'll see), but I guess it just shows the 2 ends of the scale in some ways.

I agree with a lot of what you say. You can imagine Chelsea may keep on Thiago Silva if they can and he wants to go into coaching. But there is a degree of absoluteness about this aside from access. That is the environment is first class and therefore the exposure to learning as a coach is first class. If you take it. 

So if Thiago Silver could coach Nathan Smith for a few weeks my assertion is that he'd be a 20% better player. Meanwhile Crosby who played at a similar level will only have the bog standard coaching manual to draw on. 

Of course there are outliers here. Klopp being an obvious one. But he'll be replace most likely by Alonso who was a top player. 

1 minute ago, Warren said:

I agree with a lot of what you say. You can imagine Chelsea may keep on Thiago Silva if they can and he wants to go into coaching. But there is a degree of absoluteness about this aside from access. That is the environment is first class and therefore the exposure to learning as a coach is first class. If you take it. 

So if Thiago Silver could coach Nathan Smith for a few weeks my assertion is that he'd be a 20% better player. Meanwhile Crosby who played at a similar level will only have the bog standard coaching manual to draw on. 

Dosent make them a good manager though. Crosby was a good coach, he just isn’t a good manager 

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Dosent make them a good manager though. Crosby was a good coach, he just isn’t a good manager 

Yes, that's right. There is definitely a barrier at transition that can lead to failure. I thought Clarke found his limitation at Port Vale as has Crosby at L1 level. When they come up against better managers they lose. 

Exactly look at Rooney, excellent player, arguably one of the best of his generation in this country. But management wise his early efforts would suggest he's out of his depth.

There should be a role for him as a coach somewhere you'd think, particularly with strikers but as a manager I'll be honest I just couldn't take his face or voice seriously if I was working under him.

34 minutes ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

Exactly look at Rooney, excellent player, arguably one of the best of his generation in this country. But management wise his early efforts would suggest he's out of his depth.

There should be a role for him as a coach somewhere you'd think, particularly with strikers but as a manager I'll be honest I just couldn't take his face or voice seriously if I was working under him.

Think he did pretty well with Derby in what was a tough ask him keep them up. Struggled everywhere else he’s been but Birmingham isn’t a easy job either as it’s proved in recent years. Can see Rooney being a top manager one day, his next job will be key as to whether he makes a career in management. Fails next time it could be curtains & like you say maybe look at coaching 

54 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

The costs may not prove too much if we use any saved transfer monies we didn't use in January.
It's a calculated risk against the cost of relegation and I'm sure Carol is quite capable of doing the sums.

I agree, you’re right. However this season has proven to be a case of purse strings being tightened. 

53 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

Carol might be good at arithmetic but she thinks that the current Director of Failure is doing a good job so I am not sure she is the best judge of a good manager. She will probably take his advice which some would say wasn't the best and most objective. He pobably wants a patsy rather than a strong manager who may disagree with the process.

4 minutes ago, Vtid said:

Think he pretty well with Derby in what was a tough ask him keep them up. Struggled everywhere else he’s been but Birmingham isn’t an easy job either as it’s proved in recent years. Can see Rooney being a top manager one day 

I can see that. However I think Rooney’s biggest problem was in the transfer market. He never made convincing signings. 

Just now, Vtid said:

Think he pretty well with Derby in what was a tough ask him keep them up. Struggled everywhere else he’s been but Birmingham isn’t a easy job either as it’s proved in recent years. Can see Rooney being a top manager one day 

I don't know he just doesn't come over as man management material to me at all.

But that's true, his biggest mistake was leaving Derby, should have stayed and made a go of it in league one. 

Sadly a lot of 'name' managers seem to think anything below the championship is beneath them which is wrong.

Archived