onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Portsmouth (H) match thread - 27th Jan

robf

Ok so putting aside the incredible decision not to give a free kick for the foul on Chislett. 

Absolutely awful performance against a team woefully out of form. First half 32% possession, 2 shots to 12, 1 corner to 7.

Their wing backs ran us ragged. Grant was so out of position it was unreal. What was done to stop it? Nothing. No tactical change whatsoever to stem the tide.

Then subs Wilson incredibly who looked as frustrated as I was. Albeit a nice cameo from Shorrock .

Awful Vale. And I'm about the here and now not  games in hand .

We would be in the bottom 4 were it not for Readings points deduction. 

Did I expect anything else ? No sadly I predicted on here we'd pay them too much respect and it came to fruition.

Anyway bottom of the league fat boy Charlie Adam next. Think they've 1 point from 21 since he took over. You can almost write the script for that one can't you. 

Awful performance yet somehow robbed of a point by the officials. 

Advert

Not got much say a very mediocre display today improved slightly second half but apart from Chislett I didn't see much desire drive and determination to win or go forwards 

OK a foul on chizzy for pen but let's not dress it up we deserved lose we showed very little of what I expected us show 

Losing interest it's absolutely shocking how much respect we give the likes of Portsmouth Derby and Middlesborough we haven't had a shot on target in any of them games 

Today we were too slow and negative

A very forgettable performance. 

20 minutes ago, Osh said:

<ovf censored>. We were a few minutes away from taking a point off the top of the league who are odds on to be Champions. 

And you are chief Crosby hater. It's NOT AC that's recalled the other players or bought the loans in. It's not his budget and DF has made it plain we are not signing any perms.

As for the three games in hand IF we win them we'll be upper mid-table. We CAN beat Fleetwood, Wycombe and Reading.

If we and the team had your attitude we'd all just give up. 

Show some backbone man. Jeez

I agree with this. Actually felt there was little wrong with what Crosby did in term of approaching with what he had. 

3 minutes ago, MBE said:

Men against boys today literally.

Cant believe Crosby has come out and said it looks a penalty. 

It isn't clear - Crosby might be right. I think Kamara takes it round Grant, then Grant probably (though it's not conclusive) gets a touch. It's clumsy and you give a ref a decision to make. He's probably made the wrong one - but it happens in football. Refs get stuff wrong. You boo them, have a grumble, and everyone goes home without the threat of violence.

Never a foul on Chislett. 100% clean tackle.

See below: 

2 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

Don't think I've been as embarrassed to be a Port Vale fan for a long time.

I'll start off by saying I think the ref was poor. He made some poor decisions. I thought the penalty decision was wrong and booed him afterwards. Having seen the clip back, it's never a foul on Chislett (just a strong tackle), and the penalty is hard to call. Kamara takes a touch around our player and he probably gets a nick on it before clattering the player. It's very clumsy. Probably not a penalty. Boo away, that's fine.

Despite this, I was absolutely disgusted that Vale fans were actively celebrating someone chasing him down in an apparent attempt to assault him. What would have happened if the ref didn't spot him, or didn't run away? Would you all be clapping like seals and guffawing if a man was assaulted for making a mistake at work.

It's gone huge on social media. There's a fine coming. The individual himself was bad enough, but to hear/see Vale fans get more behind that than they did their team for the previous 90 minutes genuinely shocked me. Some lads were delighted. I've read a supporter on Twitter call the ref 'vermin'

The discourse around refs is getting out of hand. It isn't long till a ref actually gets assaulted for getting stuff wrong. We moan about the 'standard' of the referees (compared to where/when, I've always thought), but how on earth is going to improve if young refs are seeing this sort of event? I jacked in reffing after Gareth Owen was aggressive with me at Stoke academy - this is another level.

I don't like criticising fans, but I can't help it today. The ref probably made a mistake, but he's probably someone's Dad, brother, son, and mate. I'd hate to think one of my family had to run from possible assault because they made a mistake at work.

Fundamentally, we weren't great today and if were are going to rely on the vicissitudes of lower league refs in order to get points, then we're going to struggle. We're very close to the relegation zone and need points quickly. I didn't think about how the loanees mid-season are expected to adapt immediately, whilst Blaster had a pre-season. Gore looked like a player shoved into a game against top of the table with little prep. It's a gamble to expect them to contribute immediately.

Really disappointed. I'd hoped we were better than that. Let's hope none of us make a mistake at work in the week.

Great post, completely agree with everything you said there, massive fine coming our way and I was so embarassed with the supporters for cheering that today, it was not a small minority as well which made it even worse.

We lost to a side played football we couldn't match. They were Middlesbrough level. Clearly there is an issue with the two new lads in midfield who got played around and through. I think we will be ok against lesser teams. 

27 minutes ago, Powerline said:

You ever been to Portsmouth? I hadn’t until last season. Would be an improvement if was a nuclear wasteland.

Portsmouth is a very nice city, some great pubs with character. Plus the surrounding area is really nice.

Got to put weir up alongside Chislett, Sang in alongside Gore until Ojo is back. Wilson up as the target man. We had nothing and all the stress is on Chislett to link because he’s the only player who can run in the opposition’s half.

8 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

Don't think I've been as embarrassed to be a Port Vale fan for a long time.

I'll start off by saying I think the ref was poor. He made some poor decisions. I thought the penalty decision was wrong and booed him afterwards. Having seen the clip back, it's never a foul on Chislett (just a strong tackle), and the penalty is hard to call. Kamara takes a touch around our player and he probably gets a nick on it before clattering the player. It's very clumsy. Probably not a penalty. Boo away, that's fine.

Despite this, I was absolutely disgusted that Vale fans were actively celebrating someone chasing him down in an apparent attempt to assault him. What would have happened if the ref didn't spot him, or didn't run away? Would you all be clapping like seals and guffawing if a man was assaulted for making a mistake at work? 

It's gone huge on social media. There's a big fine coming - money probably straight out of the striker budget the same booing morons are clamouring to be spent. The individual himself was bad enough, but to hear/see Vale fans get more behind that than they did their team for the previous 90 minutes genuinely shocked me. Some lads were delighted. I've read a supporter on Twitter call the ref 'vermin'

The discourse around refs is getting out of hand. It isn't long till a ref actually gets assaulted for getting stuff wrong. We moan about the 'standard' of the referees (compared to where/when, I've always thought), but how on earth is going to improve if young refs are seeing this sort of event? I jacked in reffing after Gareth Owen was aggressive with me at Stoke academy - this is another level.

I don't like criticising fans, but I can't help it today. The ref probably made a mistake, but he's probably someone's Dad, brother, son, and mate. I'd hate to think one of my family had to run from possible assault because they made a mistake at work. To be so enraged because your football team has lost a game of football, justifiably or not (and we were cack today), speaks volumes about the unhealthy relationship some folk have with the fortunes of their football team.

Fundamentally, we weren't great today and if were are going to rely on the vicissitudes of lower league refs in order to get points, then we're going to struggle. Their keeper did nowt. We don't have any serviceable forwards. We're very close to the relegation zone and need points quickly. I didn't think about how the loanees mid-season are expected to adapt immediately, whilst Blaster had a pre-season. Gore looked like a player shoved into a game against top of the table with little prep. It's a gamble to expect them to contribute immediately. If this the strategy? Hoping five U21s adapt immediately from reserve football to the blood and thunder of League 1? Risky.

Really disappointed. I'd hoped we were better than that. Let's hope none of us make a mistake at work in the week.

Don’t condone assault on the ref but they’d help themselves if the majority of them weren’t complete and utter bellends and so inept at their job. Also if they took more responsibility for their <ovf censored> decisions week in week out constantly ruining games of football. Obviously shouldn’t be getting attacked though.

Archived