onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

League one relegation watch

Emile

Will Vale be dragged into a relegation battle?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Will Vale be dragged into a relegation battle?

• Yes
    • No

15 hours ago, Walka003 said:

One of the things I've thought about over the weekend. Even if we stay up, looking at promotion places in L2, I don't think we have a prayer next year.

Any of Wrexham, Stockport Mansfield, Notts County and MK dons would out strip us in the transfer market. Most of their current squads would beat ours.

That's one of the things I'm worried about. Maybe all the money is being saved for this summer. It would make sense. Saying this though I've seen very good league 2 teams go up and get relegated when they get to league 1.

• Like 1

Advert

14 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

What players are contracted to be with us next season, possibly in League 2?

Also, what do people think about Grant as a CM? For me, he's not a LWB. But can we keep him as a CM?

As mentioned on my Portsmouth post I would be looking to get Grant as a midfield option with one of Gore or Weir until Ojo is back to avoid what we saw at the weekend with the two together, needs an experienced head there and Grant hasn't done it at LWB for me.

In terms of relegation, disaster for us fans and probably the club in general but I would be less worried than the previous two relegation's because I think we'd have a strong chance of challenging rather than need 4-5 years again, the club whatever we think of Flickers etc isn't in a bad in hows its run and the one part that probably would benefit is the youth players, you'd fancy Shorrock, Walters, Plant and Lomax to certainly make a good impact as League Two players and probably help their development. 

Ripley would be under contract, you'd assume Debrah, Smith, Grant and Yak would be decent in L2, Jones still under contract and we should still be able to get decent loan players.

We'd struggle to keep Ojo I would think, Chislett and Garrity but as all under contract it would depend on valuations being met and or our desire to sell.

I think we'd be up there challenging but as we know its not easy to get back up so need to do all we could to avoid it. We would have no excuses not to be play off challengers minimum especially considering some of the big spenders will be promoted this season.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

Also, what do people think about Grant as a CM? For me, he's not a LWB. But can we keep him as a CM?

I hope not. He's simply too slow following his nasty injury. Rather see Sang in there currently, until Ojo is fit whilst the likes of Gore gets upto speed playing mens football.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, valefan16 said:

As mentioned on my Portsmouth post I would be looking to get Grant as a midfield option with one of Gore or Weir until Ojo is back to avoid what we saw at the weekend with the two together, needs an experienced head there and Grant hasn't done it at LWB for me.

In terms of relegation, disaster for us fans and probably the club in general but I would be less worried than the previous two relegation's because I think we'd have a strong chance of challenging rather than need 4-5 years again, the club whatever we think of Flickers etc isn't in a bad in hows its run and the one part that probably would benefit is the youth players, you'd fancy Shorrock, Walters, Plant and Lomax to certainly make a good impact as League Two players and probably help their development. 

Ripley would be under contract, you'd assume Debrah, Smith, Grant and Yak would be decent in L2, Jones still under contract and we should still be able to get decent loan players.

We'd struggle to keep Ojo I would think, Chislett and Garrity but as all under contract it would depend on valuations being met and or our desire to sell.

I think we'd be up there challenging but as we know its not easy to get back up so need to do all we could to avoid it. We would have no excuses not to be play off challengers minimum especially considering some of the big spenders will be promoted this season.

Agree with this! Exactly I feel about challenging for promotion if we went down. Naively maybe, but I would like to think Garrity, Ojo and Chissy stay.

7 hours ago, PVFC FAN said:

That's one of the things I'm worried about. Maybe all the money is being saved for this summer. It would make sense. Saying this though I've seen very good league 2 teams go up and get relegated when they get to league 1.

Hopefully being saved up to appoint an experienced manager in the summer . Doesn't crosbys contract expire then .

Edited by Nippy Naylor
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Diego Maradona said:

Think he’d be naff there too.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nippy Naylor said:

Huddersfield have binned off Darren Moore, today I think he would be a great fit for the Vale #  class manager 

Why do you think that?

Managed 4 clubs, not lasted longer than 18 months at any of them and sacked by 3 of them. 3 wins out of 23 this season at Huddersfield.

19 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Think he’d be naff there too.

For most of the season, I would see Grant on the team sheet at 2pm on match days and think positively about him being there. But on numerous occasions now he just hasn't 'cut the mustard'. He clearly isn't a LWB so what kind of player (positionally) have we signed? 

I think we've dropped a bo//@(£ not signing a proper LWB both last season and this.

If we are to play a system, then we must get the players to play in those positions.

Personally, I would ( although I don't think Crosby ever will) try Grant in the midfield 3, especially with Garrity and Funso out. Get Dan Jones in at LWB.

Grant, Sang Chissy in midfield? With Grant sitting in front of back 3.

35 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Why do you think that?

Managed 4 clubs, not lasted longer than 18 months at any of them and sacked by 3 of them. 3 wins out of 23 this season at Huddersfield.

Bit harsh, did a great job at West Brom, took over when 10 points adrift in April and nearly took them to safety then got sacked when 4th in the championship.  He did a really good job at Doncaster, then Sheffield came in for him, got a record number of points not to go up automatic but went up in the play-offs, got sacked because like at West Brom crazy owners.  At Huddersfield, no matter who they appointed would be struggling, they have a bottom 3 budget along with Rotherham and for them to stay up they would be doing really well.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, valefan16 said:

Ojo is on a contract ending in 2025.

12 hours ago, valefan79 said:

Bit harsh, did a great job at West Brom, took over when 10 points adrift in April and nearly took them to safety then got sacked when 4th in the championship.  He did a really good job at Doncaster, then Sheffield came in for him, got a record number of points not to go up automatic but went up in the play-offs, got sacked because like at West Brom crazy owners.  At Huddersfield, no matter who they appointed would be struggling, they have a bottom 3 budget along with Rotherham and for them to stay up they would be doing really well.

Didn’t say he was a bad manager, just pointing out his history. I would say he is unproven to a certain degree, not been given a fair chance whether that’s been for good reason or not. I thought it was strange sacking him after getting Wednesday up, but on the flip side, they had by far the biggest budget last season, and went up via the play offs to a last minute injury time goal against 10 man Barnsley, so he didn’t work wonders for them.

35 minutes ago, Nippy Naylor said:

Did well at sheff weds , didn't he 

So….you want him at the Vale because he got a team up with by far the highest budget last season, and got them up via the play offs with a last minute extra time goal against Barnsley.

We won’t have any where near as much budget as Wednesday so how do you think he will get on with the Vale?