onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Crosby is Out NOW !!!

ollyandpatch

6 hours ago, Nippy Naylor said:

Put it this way grandpriix if you want Crosby as manager your in a minority, end of . 

Just saying "end of" doesn't actually mean it's the end of the conversation or argument - just that you have nothing to back up your statement, and no way to prove your opinion is correct?

Advert

6 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I can only speak from my seat in the Hamil, going two thirds of the aways and the musings on here.

Folk aren't happy.  That's probably an understatement. 

But that can all change within a couple of weeks!

53 minutes ago, Mark-Valiant said:

He's young, enthusiastic, got a team on a very limited budget punching above their weight. Very highly thought of. If Crosby were to go he'd be my first choice. We're going nowhere with Crosby. 

But still in the League above!

7 hours ago, Mark-Valiant said:

He's young, enthusiastic, got a team on a very limited budget punching above their weight. Very highly thought of. If Crosby were to go he'd be my first choice. We're going nowhere with Crosby. 

With Crosby we could be going places, but it will be out of the league at this rate.  You just hope we can scrape enough points to stay up.

Massive post more to organise my own thoughts

The parallels between this season and Rob Page's full season are fairly stark:

• Assistant appointed to replace 'big character' promotion winner who was clearly at the end of his reign
  • Introduction of slow, possession football
  • No strikeforce (AJ Leitch-Smith, Hooper, Uche, Robinson, Campion)
  • A great midfield - O'Connor, Grant, Foley
  • A great keeper - Alnwick
  • A smattering of young, exciting players - Streete, Andoh, Inniss
  • Uche Ikpeazu

Our record after 23 games of the 15/16 season:

Won 8, drawn 6, lost 9

Our record after 23 games of the 23/24 season:

Won 8, drawn 5, lost 10

At the halfway point we were playing slow, fairly boring possession football with no strikers and a collection of good midfielders. We beat some good teams and lost to some poor ones. Youth was beginning to break in. We had 30 points from the first 23 games.

At the halfway point of this season, we are playing slow, fairly boring possession football with no strikers and a collection of good midfielders. We've beaten some good teams and lost to some poor ones. Youth is beginning to break in. We had 29 points from the first 23 games.

What's interesting is that fans became both angry and apathetic in both seasons. I remember the disillusionment with Page. The disillusionment with Crosby feels broadly similar.

I don't think Page was ever a great League 1 manager, as evidenced by his spell at Northampton. I don't think Crosby will ever be a great League 1 manager. I'm not convinced he's even a good one.

However, there are a lot of parallels of how the fanbase reacts when we hit, in my view, the club's self-sufficient ceiling of mid-table League 1. There's a sense of frustration, understandably, that but for a few changes we could shatter the ceiling and propel ourself upwards to the top 10 and beyond. People seem less angry when everything is very clearly awful - perhaps the sense that things could easily be better riles us up? That the glory days of the 90s are within tangible reach if we stopped faffing about with Crosby?

We've lost some games this year, and they are clumped together and felt pretty awful. Of the losses, 4 were abysmal (Barnsley away, Cheltenham, Shrewsbury, Carlisle), 4 were against the current top 4 (Bolton, Posh, Pompey, Derby), 2 were unfortunate (Burton where I think we played well, and Gas where Debrah was off after half an hour), which leaves Barnsley at home which was poor but nearly salvaged against, in my view, a very good side currently 6th. I was adamant he should go during this run, but I think there was more to it than just being really bad for 12 games.

The fundamentals are that Crosby is very unlikely to be sacked. He isn't performing disastrously and isn't performing well - a 5.5/10, so far. I fundamentally disagreed with his anointment without interview, and think there are a lot of better options out there. Despite this, I am staggered by the level of vitriol of some fans towards him - and I'm someone who is incredibly defensive of Vale fans' right to moan. One tweet I've seen:

Funniest part of my weekend is watching him turn away and sulk when you abuse him hahahaha. I’ll be there waiting for you every week until you resign Andy. Expletive yourself

This tweet is from a Vale fan who attends a lot of games and, last season, was positive to the point of aggression. We have 5 points less than this time last year, yet Clarke was (rightly) lauded and Crosby deserves abuse to the point where this man actively celebrates it on a public platform. This is the same lad who has given Carol a lot of stick and demanded that she sells up. I've seen one of the most calm, long-termist posters on here call for Crosby's head. I feel like I'm in some weird fever dream.

To round up, I'm going to slip into the semi-patronising tone that a few on here adopt when they refuse to criticise anything, ever. The reality is that, with the current budget, 10th is perhaps the limit of our ambitions. I'm relentlessly demanding with PVFC, but I'm reaching a point where I need to accept we can't be on the verge of something big every year. Some years will be a tad disappointing and we'll just forget it ever happened.

From 2008-9 to 2022-23, PVFC was a club consistently on the edge of something. Relegation from League 1, to nearly going down from League 2, to the revival under Micky before he jumped ship, to the Gannon saga, to the V2001 protests, to the EGM and the betrayal, to MOLD, to administration, to Ryder, to Wildes and Smurthwaite, to promotion, to finishing 9th in League 1, to Adams being sacked, boring season, to Bruno experiment, to relegation, to nearly going down twice in League 2, to protests against Smurthwaite, to Smurthwaite threatening to liquidate the club, to Carol overpaying by 3m to save us, to being denied by the playoffs due to 0.2 ppg in COVID, to being on the brink of relegation under Askey during COVID, to DC not winning in 8 then winning 7 in a row, to being rampant at the start of 21/22, to DC losing his daughter, to bottling automatic promotion, to Swindon play-off semi, to Wembley, to being 9th on New Years Day 2023, to nearly going down in May, to DC being sacked.

It's been way too intense, and I think it's had an impact on how we react to stuff. Compare that 15 years to, say, the 15 years of Shrewsbury Town, or Bristol City, or Oxford United, and you can see that it's not normal for a club to be intensely doing something to the extent that we've been. Football is a largely dull game, saved by moments of intense activity and excitement. It feels like we've been having goalmouth scrambles for over a decade.

I think we're heading towards a boring era. My controversial view is that I think Carol will have to perform a miracle to take us further than 10th in League 1, without external investment. The challenge is keeping the fans engaged whilst we figure out how to perform that miracle. I'm still of the belief that there she is a net positive for the club and will continue to be so until the day she goes - if only by virtue of her good intentions, conscientiousness, and refusal to let us get into any serious debt. If I had to bet, I'd say we have 3-5 seasons of knocking around League 1 without really achieving much in store. Perhaps that's more normal than what we've experienced for 15 years.

2 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

• Assistant appointed to replace 'big character' promotion winner who was clearly at the end of his reign
  • Uche Ikpeazu

Won 8, drawn 6, lost 9

Won 8, drawn 5, lost 10

At the halfway point we were playing slow, fairly boring possession football with no strikers and a collection of good midfielders. We beat some good teams and lost to some poor ones. Youth was beginning to break in. We had 30 points from the first 23 games.

At the halfway point of this season, we are playing slow, fairly boring possession football with no strikers and a collection of good midfielders. We've beaten some good teams and lost to some poor ones. Youth is beginning to break in. We had 29 points from the first 23 games.

What's interesting is that fans became both angry and apathetic in both seasons. I remember the disillusionment with Page. The disillusionment with Crosby feels broadly similar.

I don't think Page was ever a great League 1 manager, as evidenced by his spell at Northampton. I don't think Crosby will ever be a great League 1 manager. I'm not convinced he's even a good one.

However, there are a lot of parallels of how the fanbase reacts when we hit, in my view, the club's self-sufficient ceiling of mid-table League 1. There's a sense of frustration, understandably, that but for a few changes we could shatter the ceiling and propel ourself upwards to the top 10 and beyond. People seem less angry when everything is very clearly awful - perhaps the sense that things could easily be better riles us up? That the glory days of the 90s are within tangible reach if we stopped faffing about with Crosby?

We've lost some games this year, and they are clumped together and felt pretty awful. Of the losses, 4 were abysmal (Barnsley away, Cheltenham, Shrewsbury, Carlisle), 4 were against the current top 4 (Bolton, Posh, Pompey, Derby), 2 were unfortunate (Burton where I think we played well, and Gas where Debrah was off after half an hour), which leaves Barnsley at home which was poor but nearly salvaged against, in my view, a very good side currently 6th. I was adamant he should go during this run, but I think there was more to it than just being really bad for 12 games.

The fundamentals are that Crosby is very unlikely to be sacked. He isn't performing disastrously and isn't performing well - a 5.5/10, so far. I fundamentally disagreed with his anointment without interview, and think there are a lot of better options out there. Despite this, I am staggered by the level of vitriol of some fans towards him - and I'm someone who is incredibly defensive of Vale fans' right to moan. One tweet I've seen:

Funniest part of my weekend is watching him turn away and sulk when you abuse him hahahaha. I’ll be there waiting for you every week until you resign Andy. Expletive yourself

This tweet is from a Vale fan who attends a lot of games and, last season, was positive to the point of aggression. We have 5 points less than this time last year, yet Clarke was (rightly) lauded and Crosby deserves abuse to the point where this man actively celebrates it on a public platform. This is the same lad who has given Carol a lot of stick and demanded that she sells up. I've seen one of the most calm, long-termist posters on here call for Crosby's head. I feel like I'm in some weird fever dream.

To round up, I'm going to slip into the semi-patronising tone that a few on here adopt when they refuse to criticise anything, ever. The reality is that, with the current budget, 10th is perhaps the limit of our ambitions. I'm relentlessly demanding with PVFC, but I'm reaching a point where I need to accept we can't be on the verge of something big every year. Some years will be a tad disappointing and we'll just forget it ever happened.

From 2008-9 to 2022-23, PVFC was a club consistently on the edge of something. Relegation from League 1, to nearly going down from League 2, to the revival under Micky before he jumped ship, to the Gannon saga, to the V2001 protests, to the EGM and the betrayal, to MOLD, to administration, to Ryder, to Wildes and Smurthwaite, to promotion, to finishing 9th in League 1, to Adams being sacked, boring season, to Bruno experiment, to relegation, to nearly going down twice in League 2, to protests against Smurthwaite, to Smurthwaite threatening to liquidate the club, to Carol overpaying by 3m to save us, to being denied by the playoffs due to 0.2 ppg in COVID, to being on the brink of relegation under Askey during COVID, to DC not winning in 8 then winning 7 in a row, to being rampant at the start of 21/22, to DC losing his daughter, to bottling automatic promotion, to Swindon play-off semi, to Wembley, to being 9th on New Years Day 2023, to nearly going down in May, to DC being sacked.

It's been way too intense, and I think it's had an impact on how we react to stuff. Compare that 15 years to, say, the 15 years of Shrewsbury Town, or Bristol City, or Oxford United, and you can see that it's not normal for a club to be intensely doing something to the extent that we've been. 

I think we're heading towards a boring era. My controversial view is that I think Carol will have.  to perform a miracle to take us further than 10th in League 1, without external investment. The challenge is keeping the fans engaged whilst we figure out how to perform that miracle. I'm still of the belief that there she is a net positive for the club and will continue to be so until the day she goes - if only by virtue of her good intentions, conscientiousness, and refusal to let us get into any serious debt. If I had to bet, I'd say we have 3-5 seasons of knocking around League 1 without really achieving much. Perhaps that's more normal than what we've experienced for 15 years.

Crosby is pants. Carol is skint. Flitcroft is a conman. The football is often atrocious. Fans are divided.

I think that's about the jist of it.

9 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

• Uche Ikpeazu

Won 8, drawn 6, lost 9

Won 8, drawn 5, lost 10

It's been way too intense, and I think it's had an impact on how we react to stuff. Compare that 15 years to, say, the 15 years of Shrewsbury Town, or Bristol City, or Oxford United, and you can see that it's not normal for a club to be intensely doing something to the extent that we've been. Football is a largely dull game, saved by moments of intense activity and excitement. It feels like we've been having goalmouth scrambles for over a decade.

I think we're heading towards a boring era. My controversial view is that I think Carol will have to perform a miracle to take us further than 10th in League 1, without external investment. The challenge is keeping the fans engaged whilst we figure out how to perform that miracle. I'm still of the belief that there she is a net positive for the club and will continue to be so until the day she goes - if only by virtue of her good intentions, conscientiousness, and refusal to let us get into any serious debt. If I had to bet, I'd say we have 3-5 seasons of knocking around League 1 without really achieving much in store. Perhaps that's more normal than what we've experienced for 15 years.

All seems pretty reasonable and balanced. I don’t think Crosby is the man to take us to where we would like to be but that said it hasn’t been a disaster either. I think you touched on it just realistically I think there’s ultimately a glass ceiling of what we can achieve without significant investment and I’m talking millions not a few hundred grand or something like that. Not a criticism of Carol but that Boro cup game was the eye opener to me how far we are off ever being able to compete with even average teams from that level if we ever would be able to.

I did see the tweet you mentioned and I guess all I can say is some people really need to have their phones taken off them for an hour or two after a game. I’d question why he was so gleefully talking about abusing someone who regardless how good a manager he may or may not be is still a decent person but that’s not for me to answer.

46 minutes ago, Valiiant said:

Crosby is pants. Carol is skint. Flitcroft is a conman. The football is often atrocious. Fans are divided.

I think that's about the jist of it.

If carol is skint then <ovf censored> knows what me you and most other people on here are 

Archived