onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wycombe (A) match thread - 23rd Dec

robf

I know we had a dreadful run, but you can't fault 7 points out of the last 9 available. 

We are a much better team when our better players play. Looks like we were crap in midfield today, but scored an equaliser when our most talented striker came on. Football can be simple some times.

• Like 4

Advert

3 minutes ago, Vtid said:

i can only see us going one way but time will tell 👍🏻 

With the right players in and the treatment bench relatively free there’s only one way we’ll go, and that won’t be down.  Poor recruitment and/or losing key players in January, either to other clubs, injury or whatever and we’re in the <ovf censored>.  It’s that simple.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

With the right players in and the treatment bench relatively free there’s only one way we’ll go, and that won’t be down.  Poor recruitment and/or losing key players in January, either to other clubs, injury or whatever and we’re in the <ovf censored>.  It’s that simple.

Surely that’s common sense and true of most clubs though?

• Like 2

Final thought for tonight. Leadership isn't listening to those who shout loudest and doing what they say. It's making the right decisions for long term success. That might mean not signing big names for big money (Maynard, Stockton etc.). Or choosing to invest in youth. Or backing an inexperienced (and cheap) manager to improve. I hope Carol remembers that and keeps doing an amazing job of turning this club around. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bobnewtonian said:

Surely that’s common sense and true of most clubs though?

Of course, all teams can be improved upon.  The other thing is that pretty much all clubs are on the lookout for strikers.  The point is though that we’re looking over our shoulders rather than looking up right now.  If, say, Derby don’t recruit well in January it might cost them an automatic place, or even a place in the playoffs, but they’re unlikely to be relegated.  It possibly depends on your definition of being “in the <ovf censored>”.

51 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

I put this out there 10 pages ago and got no answer.  Common sense would suggest we’d really struggle with those 2 missing, which proved to be the case.  Folk are slating Crosby but today you’ve got to look at that team and think a point coming back from a goal down is reasonable.

Summing up the game, we were very poor throughout, although better second half, we defended well apart from the goal, created next to nothing, never gave up, the subs all had an impact.

With those two out, that sort of carries the system, I found it absolutely baffling that we chose to stay with that system! You don't make the players fit the system, you make the system fit the players available! And I actually think Crosby sounded a bit arrogant in his post match interview. Yes, we have 7 points from 3 games, which is more than acceptable! Nicely stopping his tally, at the end of our outstanding run... And I wasn't there, as I live in Denmark. But using the wind as an excuse for being all over the place? Unless the wind changed drastically at half time, and gave them the wind in the back again after the break, I fail to see it as a useable excuse, as we were just as bad after the break, as before. And don't even get me started on his decision, to unwind our defence, by moving Lowe to midfield. Baffling is an understatement! 

Edited by Danish Valiant
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Danish Valiant said:

With those two out, that sort of carries the system, I found it absolutely baffling that we chose to stay with that system! You don't make the players fit the system, you make the system fit the players available! And I actually think Crosby sounded a bit arrogant in his post match interview. Yes, we have 7 points from 3 games, which is more than acceptable! Nicely stopping his tally, at the end of our outstanding run... And I wasn't there, as I live in Denmark. But using the wind as an excuse for being all over the place? Unless the wind changed drastically at half time, and gave them the wind in the back again after the brake, I fail to see it as a useable excuse, as we were just as bad after the break, as before. And don't even get me started on his decision, to unwind our defence, by moving Lowe to midfield. Baffling is an understatement! 

What system would you have played then?  This is real life not virtual football manager.

2 minutes ago, Tony Rodriguez said:

…..I really do not understand what all the toxicity is about. We have long term plans of the sort we have not seen before and if you look at the progress on and off the field over the past few years then it is working. You can rearrange the staff employed to carry out those plans but any replacements will be working within the same progressive structure…….

The toxicity mainly stems from the Daryl Clarke love in and the idea that Crosby was the cheap option, which may be true.  The long losing streak added fuel to the fire. The philosophy of playing “pure football” is also frustrating, we’re not 1970’s Holland that’s for sure.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

What an arrogant comment? But:

4-2-3-1

Sang - Lowe - Smith/Iak - Grant

Garrity - Conlon

Massey - Chis - Devine

Loft

How is it arrogant?  The point being that neither you or I know the full fitness of the players or any other reasons for their non selection.  I’d say that’s an “interesting” selection which I’m sure will divide opinion.  For starters, leaving Debra out is a major mistake in my view, easily our best defender right now.  Either way put Ojo and Arblaster in your team and it won’t be weaker, that’s a fact.

Just now, Guitar Ray said:

How is it arrogant?  The point being that neither you or I know the full fitness of the players or any other reasons for their non selection.  I’d say that’s an “interesting” selection which I’m sure will divide opinion.  For starters, leaving Debra out is a major mistake in my view, easily our best defender right now.  Either way put Ojo and Arblaster in your team and it won’t be weaker, that’s a fact.

Sang - Lowe - Debra - Grant

Of course, that was my mistake!

"This is real life not virtual football manager." I'm sorry, but I find that a bit arrogant, if not condescending. As if nobody knows anything about football? And I don't play Football Manager, just as a bonus information 😉 

And I agree, Ojo and Arblaster is a big big miss! But we'll have to get used to it for the foreseeable future...

24 minutes ago, Tony Rodriguez said:

I have always thought clubs have a natural place in the league hiarachy. To me we have always been a mid table League One side which is where we are now having spent a number of seasons below our natural place.

We have just taken 7 points out of 9 having played really badly to earn 4 of them which is usually something that is considered a good thing. The other 3 came from playing really well against a side on a long unbeaten run.

We have 26 points and have not reached the halfway point of the season yet. 42 points was enough to stay up two years ago.

We have a manager who toes the party line and gives really bland and frankly uninteresting interviews. Like most football managers.

I really do not understand what all the toxicity is about. We have long term plans of the sort we have not seen before and if you look at the progress on and off the field over the past few years then it is working. You can rearrange the staff employed to carry out those plans but any replacements will be working within the same progressive structure.

I like where we are going and am philosophical about the fact that, as in all sports, form is something that comes and goes.

I’m unhappy with him as manager because home matches are the dullest for decades, he talks absolute <ovf censored> trying to pull the wool over supporters in his interviews, tactics are 1 dimensional and his in game management is poor. He talks like a coach, looks like a coach. Not a manager in a million years in my view.

7 points from 9 and still a section of fans want him out. That’s doesn’t bode well. Only going to be one winner, Carol and Flicker are delaying  the inevitable if the revenue is not generated.

The attendance Boxing Day is going to be an acid test, attendance ,performance and result.

• Like 4