onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What are our expectations?

Granville

An open question - what genuinely do most of us think is a realistic target for us this season.

I've been a supporter of Crosby but his recent record is hard to defend.

That said, are we pretty much where we should be given our second season at this level, our budget, our transfer activity, size of fanbase?

My own personal opinion is that I think we are slightly beneath where we should be, but talk of top half finishes and play off pushes etc aren't realistic.

I'm just interested in what others expectations are?

• Like 1

Advert

A season without looking over our shoulders. Other than the promotion season I'd hazard a guess maybe 5 of the last 6 seasons we've been in and around relegation in both League one and two. Sick of it. 

I'd also like some attacking entertainment at Vale Park. I go maybe 15 aways and enjoy those for the social aspect. 

When I got to VP I'm bored out of my mind. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Granville said:

An open question - what genuinely do most of us think is a realistic target for us this season.

I've been a supporter of Crosby but his recent record is hard to defend.

That said, are we pretty much where we should be given our second season at this level, our budget, our transfer activity, size of fanbase?

My own personal opinion is that I think we are slightly beneath where we should be, but talk of top half finishes and play off pushes etc aren't realistic.

I'm just interested in what others expectations are?

Has to be comfortable mid table which would be progress against last year.

If we finished the season now , I would say it’s been a poor season taking into account our budget, permanent and loan signings.

My caveat to midtable is to have a team which is more interesting to watch who can get you up out of your seat. I’m really envious of teams like Peterborough who have pacey players who have skill to beat a man with a we are going to score more goals than you attitude. 

• Like 5

doom and gloom for most i suspect!!!!!!!!!:drink:

19 minutes ago, MBE said:

Has to be comfortable mid table which would be progress against last year.

If we finished the season now , I would say it’s been a poor season taking into account our budget, permanent and loan signings.

My caveat to midtable is to have a team which is more interesting to watch who can get you up out of your seat. I’m really envious of teams like Peterborough who have pacey players who have skill to beat a man with a we are going to score more goals than you attitude. 

I know i'm considered Happy Clapper in Chief by some - i'm still for Crosby for now; there's more gone on behind the scenes than we'll ever know and I think he's having to fight with one hand tied behind his back.

I still think that, in January, we'll add two or three more players and we'll see some faces leave.

As for the style of play - for me you can tell how exciting the play is when everyone gets up to watch a passage of play as we're pressing forward.  Every time i've been to Vale Park this season there's been loads of times when that has happened and you have to stand up or miss the attack.  I like how we dominate play and keep the ball more - we just need to a) tighten up in defence and b) find a way of scoring more goals.

I still believe we'll finish in the top half - 10-12th for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Osh said:

I know i'm considered Happy Clapper in Chief by some - i'm still for Crosby for now; there's more gone on behind the scenes than we'll ever know and I think he's having to fight with one hand tied behind his back.

I still think that, in January, we'll add two or three more players and we'll see some faces leave.

As for the style of play - for me you can tell how exciting the play is when everyone gets up to watch a passage of play as we're pressing forward.  Every time i've been to Vale Park this season there's been loads of times when that has happened and you have to stand up or miss the attack.  I like how we dominate play and keep the ball more - we just need to a) tighten up in defence and b) find a way of scoring more goals.

So everything is brilliant, except for the two utmost important things in the game???

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think 12th was a reasonable target. Obviously we have exceeded expectations in the league cup by virtue of a kind draw and the FA cup was actually not a bad effort given the standing on Stevenage in the league at the moment. 

What as others have said is the real issue is a period of months but decline in the league and dreadful entertainment in terms of the stuff on the pitch. 

My expectations are quite basic really .

I expect see a team who give there all gamely .

I'm.a great believer in you finish the campaign  with the points your overall performances merit .

A Club as happy as ours (Carols does so much good generally as do all the shanahans )must strive to be between 12th and 14th and have a cup run so realistically I think we can still do that .

Overall performances have being better than results but we in the results business unfortunately for Andy Crosby and lets face it if it wasn't for getting to league cup quarter finals he probably be out of a job .

Or should I say he should be out of a job.

However sometimes you just have to stand by your principles and get on with it and it looks like Carol is generally happy with how it's going ,or indeed AC would be out of a job so it's admirable that she  sticking by him in the  quick fire world of professional football .

So to me the next week is pivotal to the future of Port Vale .

Can we do something special I think we can .

I wouldn't bother going if I thought different

UTV 

Edited by Devine intervention

1 hour ago, Osh said:

No. That's NOT what I said. 

There's always someone isn't there 

That is literally what you said? You say our style of play is "exciting" and gets people of their seats.

Only for then say "we just need to a) tighten up in defence and b) find a way of scoring more goals."

And I agree, we are good on the ball. Unfortunately just not in the two areas that matters the most.

What am I missing then? I'm not being polemic at all! I just find your post a bit contradictory, that's all 🙂

2 hours ago, Osh said:

You can tell how exciting the style or play is by the recent home crowds and the amount of times we have failed to score. I think we go down if things stay as they are.  Sadly point a and b are the whole point of football and we’re poor at both. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

That is literally what you said? You say our style of play is "exciting" and gets people of their seats.

Only for then say "we just need to a) tighten up in defence and b) find a way of scoring more goals."

And I agree, we are good on the ball. Unfortunately just not in the two areas that matters the most.

What am I missing then? I'm not being polemic at all! I just find your post a bit contradictory, that's all 🙂

M8 you've just agreed with me. Read your words again. Also read again what the title of the thread 

1 minute ago, Osh said:

M8 you've just agreed with me. Read your words again. Also read again what the title of the thread 

Not quite. I agree that we're better on the ball, but that's in no way the same as being exciting to watch. There's a difference between passing the ball around, and passing it around with purpose to try and create openings. 99% of the time, we're simply passing it around for the sake of it. The players are playing alibi passes, to avoid making mistakes or take responsibility for a finish from outside the box.

I don't find that exciting in the slightest, to be honest 🥺 

• Like 1