Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

Advert

8 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:
1 hour ago, JRC said:
Is he a grandson of Tommy Gore?

Let's hope if he does come he does better then Tommy did, Tommy only ever played well at the Vale when playing for another club.

Always played well against us; particularly at Bury. 

• Like 2

We'll be rate. It's not like Devine was tearing it up every week. He had some good games, some poor ones. Ultimately I expected more from him in terms of goals and assists output all things considered. He was better played deeper but he didn't really start to do that until quite recently.
And the alternative is.....

If people want more permanent signings than loan signings then you need to accept that you will have a drop off in quality with a lot more average players, we are not going be able to sign players with the quality of Ollie or Alfie.  We are in league 1 and most teams outside of the premier league rely on loan players now.  Plymouth last year relied massively on the loan market with Azaz and Rogers, great players at that level.  Bolton had probably the best 2 players in the league in Trafford and Bradley, great premier league talents and again you could only get players like that on loan.  You have only got to look at Hull in the championship, in the top 6 made up of half of their side being loan players, they could not afford quality like this and would be bottom 6 probably if not for the loan market.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

We can't keep using that excuse though, it was wheeled out in the summer.

Was it? I must have missed that. I've seen plenty of football "experts" saying that business in January is difficult because it's a seller's market. The price for Jake Young by Bradford is a good example - they don't need to sell him so they are asking a lot (Carlisle pulled out today saying it was too much and they've got new owners splashing the cash). 

I don't think that's the case in the summer though. I think it's different in the summer due to retained lists, so there's many more free agents to choose from than there is in January.

So, for me, I don't think the Vale are in a position (or particularly need to) pay over the odds right now. I reckon it's likely to be one in/one out. Loans to replace the departed loans. Perhaps no permanent additions but if there is, one to replace the departed Conlon (and perhaps two if Cass goes).  

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, steauavaliant said:
3 hours ago, Valiiant said:

We'll be rate. It's not like Devine was tearing it up every week. He had some good games, some poor ones. Ultimately I expected more from him in terms of goals and assists output all things considered. He was better played deeper but he didn't really start to do that until quite recently.

And the alternative is.....

Not to cry a river over a loanee going back to his club.

3 hours ago, robf said:

I would agree to some extent but this summer we also brought in Ripley and Chislett. Both are Port Vale players, not loans - both are improvements on what we used to have in those positions. I realise it's only two players but it's still two, good, permanent signings. That's a small progression, I would argue.

I would imagine that in the long-term, the club would also hope to get another couple (at least) of "James Plants" to make the switch from youth ranks to regular first team. I would imagine Shorrock, Lomax, Dipepa and Walters (if he stays) are at the top of the list. Giving them all game time this season is also potentially progression if it helps some of them make the step up. 

I do get (and agree) with the point that we need to be self-sufficient. For me, loans need to compliment the squad not be the backbone. 

However, this is also the January window when lots of people say it's not a buyers market so clubs put inflated prices on players. So, if Vale simply rotate the loan players (out of necessity due to recalls) it's possibly a more sensible option than paying over the odds. 

Can we inflate Lofts value and get rid.?

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I sometimes believe that with clubs taking players on loan, who then have to go back, the club loses some of its identity and independence. However that’s the modern game and I have to accept it.

Or people lose interest? The transfer window and loss of the ability for short term loans in lower leagues means clubs have to have a squad they can't afford unless they have loans. Great as they are you can't  "fall in love" with them.. ,names on shirt etc...which kids love..I love...Premier league clubs don't need u21 teams in the EFL...they are doing it by stealth. EFL is just a feeder league nowadays. As you say modern game but accept it? It gets harder

• Like 1