onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sentinel Port Vale News to be a subscription / Baggers

PV1973

1 hour ago, Tamworth said:

Have a read of it and then you may change your mind. As people are saying here, it's more analysis and in depth information than simply match reporting and you can't find it all here or on other sites. Even if you could, it would take too much of your time to do so. So, it's good value for money even at full price.

Fair comment but from what can see there now appears to be zero Vale coverage in the “local” newspaper online, as in a total news black out.  There’s no justification whatsoever for this when there is still local cricket and other sports being covered and nobody will convince me it’s a good thing from a Vale perspective for the scrotes down the road to have a complete monopoly.  At a basic level the casual reader should at least be able to read a match report and the odd interview.  If they want to put the “in depth” analysis behind a paywall then fine but as it stands you could look at the Sentinel online and not even know Vale exist.

• Like 2

Advert

15 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Fair comment but from what can see there now appears to be zero Vale coverage in the “local” newspaper online, as in a total news black out.  There’s no justification whatsoever for this when there is still local cricket and other sports being covered and nobody will convince me it’s a good thing from a Vale perspective for the scrotes down the road to have a complete monopoly.  At a basic level the casual reader should at least be able to read a match report and the odd interview.  If they want to put the “in depth” analysis behind a paywall then fine but as it stands you could look at the Sentinel online and not even know Vale exist.

Economics I suspect, as the Vale coverage decreased so have the clicks, becomes a downward spiral until the clicks disappear. Yield on articles  becomes  non existent.

9 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Economics I suspect, as the Vale coverage decreased so have the clicks, becomes a downward spiral until the clicks disappear. Yield on articles  becomes  non existent.

So you’re saying there are more clicks for a report on Leek CC than on a Vale match report?  I very much doubt that.

5 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

You'd think they'd put out a condensed match report and a link saying "subscribe for detailed coverage", but I'm not going to tell them how to run their business 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Valiant62 said:

Obviously, as an independent journalist, the club can’t help him out but could the supporters’ club or some other organisation help get him up and running then a paywall do the rest?

Tbf if I was Mike I wouldn’t do this. Would almost be like being self employed, which isn’t for everyone. I know I personally wouldn’t like the faff and would just rather pick up my salary from my employer.

8 minutes ago, newchapel valiant said:

My worry with this is how will Vale attract future fans if they are not in the public eye. It seems to me that the sentinel are trying to erase Vale from the people of Staffordshire and South Cheshire. 

Let's face it you will only sign up if you follow the Vale. 

The Vale fans of the future are not reading the sentinel, actually, the people of the future aren't reading it, only the people of the past!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's excellent value in my eyes. I spend £10 in the co-op most days! Good writing, engaging content and no adverts or articles written without an intrinsic knowledge of the subject matter.

Baggers seems to have good access to the club and his articles on other matters are well researched and informative. It must take a fair bit of work to put together too.

Sent from my SM-A137F using onevalefan mobile app

• Like 3

All the comments about value not withstanding, I really don't see why we should be asked to pay a subscription for club news - about a local team - from a local paper.

All the best to MB but I refuse to pay for something that should be offered by the Sentinel already. Absolutely crazy, and I won't give them anything for what they should be delivering already.

1 hour ago, 1876 said:

All the comments about value not withstanding, I really don't see why we should be asked to pay a subscription for club news - about a local team - from a local paper.

All the best to MB but I refuse to pay for something that should be offered by the Sentinel already. Absolutely crazy, and I won't give them anything for what they should be delivering already.

Did you pay for a newspaper before the invention of online news articles?

Edited by NorthwoodValiant
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NorthwoodValiant said:

Did you pay for a newspaper before the invention of online news articles?

Yeah, in the distant past I bought the Green 'Un.

If you're talking about them making up financial loss of people not buying papers anymore, take a look at the amount of adverts The Sentinel run on their website to make up their funding. Their coverage of the Vale should be no different to anything else.

For me the distinction is this:

If, as the editor of the paper says, "good journalism costs money" (hence the paywall), is The Sentinel's journalism excellent across both clubs, yet Vale fans have to pay for theirs while Stoke don't?

Or is Stoke's coverage inferior because their fans don't have to pay?

The Sentinel are either discriminating against Vale fans or admitting their Stoke coverage is poorer than their Vale coverage because its free.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1