onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Crewe (H) FLT match thread Sep 5th

robf

17 hours ago, andy jones said:

So we now have the following all having played first team football (please correct me where wrong) ,,,

Bailee Dipepa. 16

Rhys Walters. 16

Jack Shorrock  17

James Plant 18

Tommy McDermott 19

I am old enough to remember Stan Mathew's playing our youngest forward line and I dont think we have had young, exciting, talent like this since.

Never mind the Busby Babes

Say hello to the Valiant Babes

Plant is older than McDermott. McDermott was 17 when he got a pro contract. Walters is in his second year so he must be 17 or 18.

Advert

Decent enough result but Crewe put out a much weaker side last night than the week before. What struck me was how poor the control and passing of the ball in the final 3rd was when we didn't have Chislett,  Arblaster, Devine and Ojo on the pitch. The effort was good but we would have struggled against a league 1 side, so it's hard to draw many conclusions.  Crewe played as many teenagers as Vale. I thought our 5 were bigger and stronger, overall technically Crewe's were probably slightly better. I guess ours can still improve technically,  Crewe's probably won't get bigger and stronger.

5 hours ago, Devine intervention said:

Never can understand going on watching it at home how 2800 odd folk can go to  a game yet majority just sit and watch the game with no encouragement whatsoever .

Translation : "I can't understand why other people aren't the same as me?"

Coming next - "scrap every other beer except Carling, that's all I drink so why should pubs serve anything different" and "Spotify is pointless, millions of songs but surely no one listens to anything else apart from Status Quo?"

9 hours ago, DaneValiant said:

I was impressed with Leutwiler last night. Not seen him play before but he looked very solid. Not having to resign myself to seeing the opposition score once they get past the penalty spot is such a novel experience after seasons gone by

Totally agree. When he played in the friendly at Kidsgrove I said to my son if this is our backup keeper then  Connor must be a hell of a keeper.

Always good to beat Crewe. To be fair to them, they gave us a game in both matches. Although had we played our best 11 I think we would beat them comfortably by 3 or 4. 

Plant is going to be a great player and get us a lot of money in time. Walters was excellent considering his age should have a big future in the game. He's what, 16 still? Pretty sure when I was that age I'd only recently stopped believing in Santa, and still got extra pocket money if I lost a tooth. 

8 hours ago, valefan16 said:

Pleasing to win, momentum is key regardless of how you see the competition and 8 unbeaten is excellent.

Great to see the fruits of Flitcrofts work behind the scenes improving the youth set up that seemed to be in a mess before his arrival and with Will Ryder we are getting plenty coming through and some decent sales.

Walters was good again, solid on the ball, works it well and keeps it simple, touch can be heavy but that will come, Shorrock was more solid than last week. Dipepa looked very raw, should of scored at least one of two great chances but it was his first minutes.

Loft looks a good player, worked the ball well, held it up and linked things together which is something we have missed with our quality midfielders just behind the lone striker.

Balmer was good, very strong, little rusty but can see he has real quality, keeper had a good game, made a good save 1 on 1 and a strong arm to prevent the rebound going Crewe's way.

First half excellent, second half changes made it more difficult with a youthful attacking side, for context they threw on their top scorer last season, we debuted a teenager in the same position, but job done.

Odd comments from the Crewe podcast about us spending £4 million to get the team we have "and we couldn't beat them last week" firstly we haven't spent £4 million on the squad and secondly the stellar players in our squad were sat on the bench for 80% of the game or didn't feature at all! We are currently a long way ahead of Crewe as a club, all be it the passing they have over the two games suggests they are maybe starting to turn a corner from a few seasons of decline.

Rhys, Jack, Bailey, Planty and Tommy Mac were all here before Will Ryder took over. Nearly all of them came in at U9s so I would not say the academy was mess.

Wrexham away will attract a lot of folk .

Attendance last night was good a good 1600 more than usually get in this competition. 

Think the Vale squad is shaping nicely .

There's no one I've seen who I would say is not up to the job .

Credit to Flitcroft and the recruitment team up to yet .

I will tamper expectations though .

Keep winning them league cup games and less so trophy games as looking at overall performances in league thus far we are going to lose games for sure at present the balls going dropping our way but be unrealistic to expect it too carry on to do so .

We still give presentable chances to opposition and eventually they will take them. 

So still important beat Sutton and get a money spinner 

13 minutes ago, Family Stand Terrier said:

Seen someone suggest on twitter, and think I'm starting to agree...are fans coming around to supporting the games v other L1 or L2 teams (how it should be), and still boycotting the u21 matches?

Makes sense to me.

For me all these games help players not getting regular game time at the club and the young uns with the caveat that I've lost track of what was done prior to keep players game ready. Long gone are the days when Vale had a 1st team, Reserve team and A and B teams all playing in leagues of various standard.

5 hours ago, gavcradd said:

I agree, and crucially it was a vast improvement on his previous game v Crewe. Just the one game difference seems to pushed his confidence up incredibly. The same goes for Plant. He's played, what, 10 games? Yet was comfortably the best player on the pitch first half last night.

Just goes to show what we could have it we continue to give the young lads experience in and around the first team. Fingers crossed Tommy Mac's loan does wonders for him.

Wasn't young Walters voted MOTM against Crewe last week?

Archived