onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Opera/Classical Music.

Paul6754

Really like listening to Il Divo, Andrea Bocellii, Katherine Jenkins, Patrizio Buane. Recently seen Andre Rieu on HD tv through 7.1 Digital Sound and to say the sound and vision was breathtaking :)

A little piece of trivia Arty.Andrea Bocelli lives on the Versilian coast of Italy at Forte dei Marmi which is about 15 miles from where Puccini lived.Lovely area of Tuscany and a opera lover's paradise.

Advert

Take a look at this, IMO, the greatest introduction to a piece of any music ever written. The power and sheer beauty of the piece is breathtaking, the first 10 mins or so should make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end.

That beginning always reminds of a space rocket launch.:laugh:Google Sibelius Park Paul.An abstract tribute to him.;)

The thang about classical music is it tends to get seen as 'old' music from an earlier age, but there's lots of good new classical music, generally refered to as 'neo-classical', around these days. For some weird reason a lot of this comes out of Iceland with composers/players like Olafur Arnalds, Johann Johansson, Nils Frahm and Hildur Gottasdottir to name but a few. A lot of neo-classical music actually encompases electronics and found-sound sampling too, which gives it that little contemporary edge.

On a different classical music note, one of the most interesting composers ever was from Stoke-on-Trent. Dude by the name of Havegal Brian whose most famous composition 'The Gothic' requires the greatest number of musicians for any piece of music. It takes something like 3 orchestras, 5 choirs etc to perform and not surprisingly isn't performed that often

Points-with-Bone

Yep, think he wrote something like 32 symphonies which is a large number, largely unknown in Stoke-on-Trent.

Yep, think he wrote something like 32 symphonies which is a large number, largely unknown in Stoke-on-Trent.

He was from Dresden and lived to be 96 years old. Regarded as one of the very few working class composers. He did indeed write 32 symphonies, but incredibly 21 of them were written after the age of 80. He died in 1972

his biggest work was the gothic, which apart from several orchestras and choirs also had about 5 brass bands, something that occurs a lot in his music, and it lasts 2 hours. He had 5 kids by his missus and another 5 by his mistress, so god knows how he found time to write so much music

Much admired by critics there's been a revival of interest in his music and all but about 3 or 4 of his symphonies have been recorded, with even a few being released recently on top quality vinyl.

Points-with-Bone

He was from Dresden and lived to be 96 years old. Regarded as one of the very few working class composers. He did indeed write 32 symphonies, but incredibly 21 of them were written after the age of 80. He died in 1972

his biggest work was the gothic, which apart from several orchestras and choirs also had about 5 brass bands, something that occurs a lot in his music, and it lasts 2 hours. He had 5 kids by his missus and another 5 by his mistress, so god knows how he found time to write so much music

Much admired by critics there's been a revival of interest in his music and all but about 3 or 4 of his symphonies have been recorded, with even a few being released recently on top quality vinyl.

Points-with-Bone

I was introduced to opera/classical music by some friends when I was about 30 (my first love is soul music) and they used to rave about Havegal Brian and couldn't believe he was virtually unknown in S-o-T, one of them is a walking encyclopedia of opera/classical music. I have a copy of The Gothic Symphony (I'll play it this weekend) but none of his other works, in size it reminds me of Mahler's 8th symphony and Schoeberg's Gurrelieder which also demand huge orchestra's and "multi choirs" and are stunning pieces of music.

Paul6754,treat yourself to The Nice( Keith Emerson) playing "Karelia Suite".One or two versions on youtube.Any opera lovers ,save your money and get over to Torre del Lago for the Puccini Festival normally July and August.

Puccini's music is incredible and I have a cd of every piece he's written and have seen many of his operas although none in such a setting as Torre del Lago, one day perhaps. Every time I hear Nessun Dorma I see Stuart Pierce's penalty fly over the bar, its just too much at times.

I spent 3 years at Uni with the same 3 fribos, hair down to their waists, not as thick through as a tanner, could drink like fishes, they were into Nice, Mountain, The Groundhogs and all that stuff, Keith Emerson made good music but I'll stick to the original version of The Karelia Suite although I will give your suggestion a listen.

..and if you really want to treat yourself, go and listen to this from Packmoor's very own Barry Banks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB6HnSD-ksw

And he's a Vale fan.

Much respect.

He sounds amazing, I'd never heard of him so I Googled his name. He's been associated with the Met. and The ENO so he must be good. Brilliant that he's a Vale fan, thanks for the info.

My brother is classically trained pianist/violinist whereas I am self taught blues/rock guitar player so generally we like very different things

However I love some 'big' orchestral/choral music (not the more flowery stuff)

Bach

Orchestral Suites

Air on the G String

Magnificat in D

Double Concerto

Wagner

Mastersingers Overture

Flying Dutchman Overture

Leibeslied from Tristan and Isolde

Mahler

Orf

Max Bruch--Violin Concerto No 1 blows me away

Holst Planets

I love a live rock concert but attending a full orchestral/choral concert is just as amazing

My brother is classically trained pianist/violinist whereas I am self taught blues/rock guitar player so generally we like very different things

However I love some 'big' orchestral/choral music (not the more flowery stuff)

Bach

Orchestral Suites

Air on the G String

Magnificat in D

Double Concerto

Wagner

Mastersingers Overture

Flying Dutchman Overture

Leibeslied from Tristan and Isolde

Mahler

Orf

Max Bruch--Violin Concerto No 1 blows me away

Holst Planets

I love a live rock concert but attending a full orchestral/choral concert is just as amazing

I agree, the sight and power of an orchestra in full flow is amazing. We used to sit to the left in the 1/2/3 row at the Royal Concert Hall in Nottingham so you could see the key board of the piano during a piano concerto. The dexterity and precision of the pianists are incredible even with sweat dropping from their brows and chins!!

I've not heard much Bach but am a huge fan of Mahler and Wagner, Mahlers 8 Symphony is a massive work and Wagner's Ring Cycle was voted, albeit by Sunday Times readers, as the greatest piece of music ever written, it contains amongst others, The Ride of the Valkyries and Siegfrieds Funeral March.

Wish I could play an instrument, I managed the recorder at school, but my left hand is useless as I'm so right sided.

I agree, the sight and power of an orchestra in full flow is amazing. We used to sit to the left in the 1/2/3 row at the Royal Concert Hall in Nottingham so you could see the key board of the piano during a piano concerto. The dexterity and precision of the pianists are incredible even with sweat dropping from their brows and chins!!

I've not heard much Bach but am a huge fan of Mahler and Wagner, Mahlers 8 Symphony is a massive work and Wagner's Ring Cycle was voted, albeit by Sunday Times readers, as the greatest piece of music ever written, it contains amongst others, The Ride of the Valkyries and Siegfrieds Funeral March.

Wish I could play an instrument, I managed the recorder at school, but my left hand is useless as I'm so right sided.

Learn to play a cornet or trumpet, you only use the right hand.

Archived