onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Opera/Classical Music.

Paul6754

Advert

Wish I could play an instrument, I managed the recorder at school, but my left hand is useless as I'm so right sided.

When right handed the left hand has its uses

Try mouth organ/harmonica..I have a chromatic scale harmonica (that's what i call it) and whilst I don't claim my music is amazing it's pretty easy to play

The only sort of classical music I've really ever gotten into is Ludovico Einaudi's stuff, but I guess it's more minimalist. The only reason for that is that I play piano and can play most of his music. I don't usually listen to classical, I'm into other kinds of music.

The only other stuff I've got are a few game soundtracks (Elder Scrolls IV/V - Jeremy Soule) which are superb. That counts I suppose.

At primary School, one of the teachers used to play Clair de lune whist wating for all the classes to get into Assembly, and we did the 1812 Overture when I was 11, (and I've been fascinated by Napoleon ever since) and at secondary school, did some Bela Bartok and Smetana. Smetana was responsible for "Ma Vlast" which I love and which was used a few years back in the advert for Jersey potatoes (might have been Guernsey!). I always find Dvorak very moving, not just the New World Symphony but also have a CD of Slavonic Dances.

At primary School, one of the teachers used to play Clair de lune whist wating for all the classes to get into Assembly, and we did the 1812 Overture when I was 11, (and I've been fascinated by Napoleon ever since) and at secondary school, did some Bela Bartok and Smetana. Smetana was responsible for "Ma Vlast" which I love and which was used a few years back in the advert for Jersey potatoes (might have been Guernsey!). I always find Dvorak very moving, not just the New World Symphony but also have a CD of Slavonic Dances.

Dvorak's music is superb, his 7th & 8th symphonies are worth a listen as is his opera "Rusalka", it contains one of the most beautiful pieces of music in all opera. Ma Vlast is an anthem for the Czech people, the Smetna Museaum in Prague is worth a visit, its right on the banks of the

Vltava river. Funny how music used in an advert always stays in the memory, I suppose thats why the advertisers do it.

On a different classical music note, one of the most interesting composers ever was from Stoke-on-Trent. Dude by the name of Havegal Brian whose most famous composition 'The Gothic' requires the greatest number of musicians for any piece of music. It takes something like 3 orchestras, 5 choirs etc to perform and not surprisingly isn't performed that often

Points-with-Bone

My dad played in The North Staffs Symphony orchestra for many years and hated playing Havergal Brian. It was very controversial addition to their program and was thought by many to only get a hearing because it was composed by a ' local'.

I like loads of classical music including a lot mentioned on this thread. One I have not seen mentioned on this thread is Elgar who composed the Enigma variations which is one of the best ever british classics.

Classic FM radio is superb, I like how they play excerpts or just one movement from a symphony or opera rather than the whole piece.

As well as Pomp and Circumstance, Elgar's Nimrod from the Enigma Variations is one of the great British tunes, makes the hair stand on the back of your neck.

Archived