onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Adams can do nothing wrong and Gannon could do nothing right

Some of the posts that have been written about Adams and Gannon in the last 18 months have amazed me.

Micky Adams has been in charge now more or less for a few seasons and we have achieved absolutely nothing. When he took over we were a mid table League 2 season and sure enough we have finished mid table again this season. In my opinion even without the points deduction we weren't good enough this season to make the playoff or go up. Quite simply the team/squad isn't good enough and when you compare it with the likes of Swindon, Shrewsbury then i m afraid we deserve to finish where we do. Even smaller teams such as Torquay, Cheltenham have overtaken us. Micky has had an opportunity today to set the stall out for next season. To clear the decks and release players like Haldane, Pope and Rob Taylor who are nothing more than average mediocre League two players who may have a good game once in a while but are simply not up tot the task of firing us into League one. I just can't understand his logic in keeping them. Haldane and Rob Taylor have under performed for a few seasons now. Some of the criticism been fired towards Mickey today is fair in my opinion. He has for a few seasons now extended contracts for average players like Yates and seems inept at finding new talent. I m sure that Micky would have offered Yates a new deal if he was out of contract and for me he has been awful.

I think a lot of supporters were expecting a lot more players to be shipped out today in the belief that a lot of the current squad are not good enough. IF Jim Gannon was manager currently i would have put my house on him chopping and changing the squad and getting rid of the players who don't score, can't cross and can't even pass to another player in a white shirt sometimes.

Some supporters on here will defend Adams come what may yet slate Jim Gannon all day long. Adams hasn't achieved anything yet in how many years. In my opinion he has had a good crack of the whip and really has got to get us into the playoffs at least next season. Anything less will be just be a failure. He has been given more than an opportunity and a number of seasons now to get it right.

A lot of supporters hate Gannon but he would have at least cleared the decks and got some new players in who hopefully could at least pass to each other. A lot of what he said was true about the squad not being good enough and Roberts being out of control and a drunk. How we as supporters laughed at him. Yes Gannon was not exactly a people person according to the squad but maybe thats because he was telling them a few home truths. He would have released a lot more players today and i think his squad assessment is a lot more accurate that Adams'.

Personally i don't think either Gannon or Adams are capable of getting us into League One. I hope that i m proved wrong.

I wouldn't just slate your post because you've given a thought out opinion and put some structure round it as opposed to some of the mindless rants we get sometimes. However, I really disagree and think you're badly mistaken if you think people are of the opinion that Mickey can 'do no wrong', just look at the number of other posts slating him. I think your judgement on his performance is harsh though, especially considering the events of this season.

As for Jim Gannon, he may well be a brilliant football theorist but we'll never know because he's got the interpersonal skills of a rabid Rottweiller and will only ever be able to cope with ordering around a bunch of 'yes' men who jump to his every whim, like a Hitler or a Stalin. He's a nutter, ask Geoff Horsfield.

Advert

What a pointless thread. It's pointless because Adams will be here next season whether you like it or not. So in that respect you might aswell back him until the time comes (maybe next year if we don't reach the playoffs) when the majority of fans agree unanimously that it's time for change.

As for all this loyalty c**p that some people keep banging on about. If you were in the same scenario as Adams? Lets say for an example you were a manager in a lower league, say Kidderminster Harriers in Bsp. You were doing well, then all of sudden Port Vale came knocking on your door, your boyhood club, the club you've watched from the terraces with friends & family & supported all your life, what would you do? There in desperate trouble about to be relegated & they want you to help save my them? Kidderminster or save the Vale? I know what i'd do, I'd want to save my boyhood club & would feel honoured & privileged to do it aswell.

That's why can forgive Adams for leaving us last year, any other club no, his boyhood club, yes.

Get over it.

I like the fact that Adams will be here next season,

I dont like some of the contracts he has offered, thats just an opinion thats all

I am in agreement with you there I think some people need to cut MA a bit of slack at the moment lets see what

materialises with who stays,who goes,and who the new recruitments will be.

Lets no forget when he tried to get Davies and Whittaker recruited for a promotion push but the old guard failed him with the

budget maybe under KR that will change but as MA stated on RS last night his playing budget will not be a big as other clubs.

My first post was just trying to make the point that most supporters like MA even if he isn't that great yet slate Gannon when he wasn't given a chance. Most supporters call him a loon and say he hasn't any communication skills but this is mostly based on what the players and staff at the time have told us (Roberts etc). The same bunch of people who Gannon said weren't good enough and he was right.No wonder they didn't like him. Yet we took their word because they were popular at the club.

Supporters also keep raising the Exodus card saying what a poor signing he was. Gannon was here for a matter of months and never given any time. Yet people keep bringing up one poor signing he made. Mickey has been in charge for a few seasons and apart from Loft and Shuker can anyone please tell me what decent signings he has made? He has made loads of really poor signings so why keep deriding Gannon for making one. This is exactly the point i m making. Gannon is completely ridiculed for one error yet Adams can make numerous mistakes in the transfer market and keep offering average players contracts yet everyone accepts it.

My first post was just trying to make the point that most supporters like MA even if he isn't that great yet slate Gannon when he wasn't given a chance. Most supporters call him a loon and say he hasn't any communication skills but this is mostly based on what the players and staff at the time have told us (Roberts etc). The same bunch of people who Gannon said weren't good enough and he was right.No wonder they didn't like him. Yet we took their word because they were popular at the club.

Supporters also keep raising the Exodus card saying what a poor signing he was. Gannon was here for a matter of months and never given any time. Yet people keep bringing up one poor signing he made. Mickey has been in charge for a few seasons and apart from Loft and Shuker can anyone please tell me what decent signings he has made? He has made loads of really poor signings so why keep deriding Gannon for making one. This is exactly the point i m making. Gannon is completely ridiculed for one error yet Adams can make numerous mistakes in the transfer market and keep offering average players contracts yet everyone accepts it.

Your talking about the past though, i can't see what Gannon as got to do about the here & now?

Gannon probably did'nt have the enough time, we'll never know. Why can't we just leave it there & just look ahead to the future? I agree with you to a certain extent but Gannon isn't here no more so lets move on.

I'm frustrated at the moment as we all are, being stuck in this awful league, but dredging up the past isn't going to help us. I'm still excited about next season for the simple fact we wont have any more distractions for once in a couple of seasons, its a relief. Micky might surprise us all yet with a few astute signings, lets wait & see.

We definitely need 5/6 new players who can go straight into the team and add quality.Division 1 players are what Micky should be looking at.I hope he is being given the funds to do it.No excuses/ reasons for Micky in the new season.I hope he's up to the task.

Some of the posts that have been written about Adams and Gannon in the last 18 months have amazed me.

Micky Adams has been in charge now more or less for a few seasons and we have achieved absolutely nothing. When he took over we were a mid table League 2 season and sure enough we have finished mid table again this season. In my opinion even without the points deduction we weren't good enough this season to make the playoff or go up. Quite simply the team/squad isn't good enough and when you compare it with the likes of Swindon, Shrewsbury then i m afraid we deserve to finish where we do. Even smaller teams such as Torquay, Cheltenham have overtaken us. Micky has had an opportunity today to set the stall out for next season. To clear the decks and release players like Haldane, Pope and Rob Taylor who are nothing more than average mediocre League two players who may have a good game once in a while but are simply not up tot the task of firing us into League one. I just can't understand his logic in keeping them. Haldane and Rob Taylor have under performed for a few seasons now. Some of the criticism been fired towards Mickey today is fair in my opinion. He has for a few seasons now extended contracts for average players like Yates and seems inept at finding new talent. I m sure that Micky would have offered Yates a new deal if he was out of contract and for me he has been awful.

I think a lot of supporters were expecting a lot more players to be shipped out today in the belief that a lot of the current squad are not good enough. IF Jim Gannon was manager currently i would have put my house on him chopping and changing the squad and getting rid of the players who don't score, can't cross and can't even pass to another player in a white shirt sometimes.

Some supporters on here will defend Adams come what may yet slate Jim Gannon all day long. Adams hasn't achieved anything yet in how many years. In my opinion he has had a good crack of the whip and really has got to get us into the playoffs at least next season. Anything less will be just be a failure. He has been given more than an opportunity and a number of seasons now to get it right.

A lot of supporters hate Gannon but he would have at least cleared the decks and got some new players in who hopefully could at least pass to each other. A lot of what he said was true about the squad not being good enough and Roberts being out of control and a drunk. How we as supporters laughed at him. Yes Gannon was not exactly a people person according to the squad but maybe thats because he was telling them a few home truths. He would have released a lot more players today and i think his squad assessment is a lot more accurate that Adams'.

Personally i don't think either Gannon or Adams are capable of getting us into League One. I hope that i m proved wrong.

Excellent realistic post agree with all of that and would just add that what Adams does with this oppurtunity to rebuild with some proper footballers will determine his own position cum xmas 2012 imho.

What a pointless thread. It's pointless because Adams will be here next season whether you like it or not. So in that respect you might aswell back him until the time comes (maybe next year if we don't reach the playoffs) when the majority of fans agree unanimously that it's time for change.

As for all this loyalty c**p that some people keep banging on about. If you were in the same scenario as Adams? Lets say for an example you were a manager in a lower league, say Kidderminster Harriers in Bsp. You were doing well, then all of sudden Port Vale came knocking on your door, your boyhood club, the club you've watched from the terraces with friends & family & supported all your life, what would you do? There in desperate trouble about to be relegated & they want you to help save my them? Kidderminster or save the Vale? I know what i'd do, I'd want to save my boyhood club & would feel honoured & privileged to do it aswell.

That's why can forgive Adams for leaving us last year, any other club no, his boyhood club, yes.

Get over it.

What do you think about the fact he applied for the Colchester job, 6 months before going to Sheffield Utd?

What do you think about the fact he applied for the Colchester job, 6 months before going to Sheffield Utd?

Wonder if he's applied for the Gillingham job...he's 12/1 to get it at the moment!:shifty:

Didn't know about it? Even if he did, it's not the arguement here is it? If he had left to go to Colchester, like i've already said, i wouldn't of welcomed him back. It was only the fact it was his boyhood club that i can forgive him for leaving us.

Judge Adams at the end of the season. This pre-season is his chance to build a squad HE wants, HE is the manager at the end of the day and its HIS squad so let him do what he feels best without moaning. Personally I feel he shouldnt of offered so many contracts to average players, but we shall see if his decision works.

Adams is a good motivator and the players will put a shift in for him. I dont think he has an eye for talent though.

Didn't know about it? Even if he did, it's not the arguement here is it? If he had left to go to Colchester, like i've already said, i wouldn't of welcomed him back. It was only the fact it was his boyhood club that i can forgive him for leaving us.

Of course it's the argument, you said you can forgive him for leaving for his boyhood club only. However, prior to that, he tried to leave for a club he has no connection with. Do you forgive him for that?

Archived