onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Adams can do nothing wrong and Gannon could do nothing right

First and foremost we need to concentrate all our efforts on keeping our better players such as Richards, Griff etc.

IF we manage to do this then we can look to build and add quality. Keeping hold of Rico will be as significant as any new player we will sign during the Summer months imo.

Whilst I still believe that evolution rather than revolution is key; I still feel that there are a couple of players who were kept on (Haldane, Rob Taylor), who perhaps should have been let go as the latter is simply too inconsistent/can't last for 90 minutes, whilst Haldane doesn't have an end product nor chip in with enough goals. If anything, Micky should have kept hold of Marshall.

Overall, I would say we need to bring in 4-5 real quality signings in order to push us on to the next level for next season. Probably a couple more in addition to that if we don't keep hold of our best players. We aren't too far off the play-offs; but as I may have mentioned somewhere else recently, we're still miles away from the teams who went up automatically, which was particularly demonstrated by our two performances and results against Swindon.

Time for Micky to prove himself. I'm certainly not calling for his head or anything like that, but his CV isn't is impressive over the past 10 years or so at the clubs he's been at as some people on here seem to make out.:unsure:

Advert

Are you seriously saying you'd have Davis here when his only experience of managing in league football is a total of 16 matches? You must be a gambling man?

The fact they went from strugglers to Wembley in 18 games whereas we never troubled the top 7 all season.

Unless we sign some quality it will be 10th again next season. I'm running out of patience as I've not enjoyed a game all season.

I said it before, what Gannon said was right, he just went about it a barmy way.

The fact they went from strugglers to Wembley in 18 games whereas we never troubled the top 7 all season.

Unless we sign some quality it will be 10th again next season. I'm running out of patience as I've not enjoyed a game all season.

I said it before, what Gannon said was right, he just went about it a barmy way.

Davis already had the players there after taking over from Gradi, you cant improve players ability in that short space of time. What he has done is motivate them & give them a sense of belief in themselves. The players have responded to him & they've done well. So he's a good motivator, so is Adams.

Would i trust him to come into Vale & turn our squad around? no, not on his limited experience.

Ask me in a couple of years time when Davis as his own team & own players put together then i might agree. Not for me at this present time.

Davis already had the players there after taking over from Gradi, you cant improve players ability in that short space of time. What he has done is motivate them & give them a sense of belief in themselves. The players have responded to him & they've done well. So he's a good motivator, so is Adams.

Would i trust him to come into Vale & turn our squad around? no, not on his limited experience.

Ask me in a couple of years time when Davis as his own team & own players put together then i might agree. Not for me at this present time.

So in your opinion, Davis has done well because he inherited a good squad and we should judge him when he has built a squad. But that's exactly what I've been doing with Micky, and that's wrong apparently. Micky signed or re-signed all of the players in this squad and never made the play-offs. What does that say about him?

I agree with what Cheeky says; there seems no logic to your post here.:unsure:

Davis has already achieved more in around six months at Crewe by reaching the play-offs final as Adams has with Vale in the course of 2 and-a-half years.

Whilst I believe that Adams is a pretty decent manager (for our level anyway), he can count himself rather lucky Vale came calling after him again so soon after his poor spells in charge further up the Leagues at Sheffield United, Brighton (2nd spell in charge), Coventry etc.

When Adams first arrived he was motivated as a person. His motivation doesn't now appear to have been anything other than to prove himself and then move to a bigger club. He jumped ship at the second (?) opportunity. When he returned he was not as motivated and financially secure. His demeanour this year was of someone who couldn't motivate himself, never mind the players.

How many players did Davis sign? Two on Loan? And yet they still finished above us despite looking like flounderers for the 1st half of the season. We could have and should have done better with the money we pay.

Appointing a manager is always a gamble. Rudge was unproven yet was a massive success whereas many more experienced can fail. The problem was that the last board couldn't pick a Manager to save their lives nor were they united in supporting their choice fully by allowing them to make the changes to coaching and playing staff they wanted.

The point is that Adams seems to have lost his desire and has become institutionalised by Port Vale. Keep with what you know and to fear change when change is exactly what we have needed for 10 years. No more "Old Boys" in the backroom nor do we need to stick with, the self same Sinnott players who have not achieved for so long.

When Adams first arrived he was motivated as a person. His motivation doesn't now appear to have been anything other than to prove himself and then move to a bigger club. He jumped ship at the second (?) opportunity. When he returned he was not as motivated and financially secure. His demeanour this year was of someone who couldn't motivate himself, never mind the players.

How many players did Davis sign? Two on Loan? And yet they still finished above us despite looking like flounderers for the 1st half of the season. We could have and should have done better with the money we pay.

Appointing a manager is always a gamble. Rudge was unproven yet was a massive success whereas many more experienced can fail. The problem was that the last board couldn't pick a Manager to save their lives nor were they united in supporting their choice fully by allowing them to make the changes to coaching and playing staff they wanted.

The point is that Adams seems to have lost his desire and has become institutionalised by Port Vale. Keep with what you know and to fear change when change is exactly what we have needed for 10 years. No more "Old Boys" in the backroom nor do we need to stick with, the self same Sinnott players who have not achieved for so long.

Spot on.:yes:

From Davis' appointment at Crewe his record is 15W 11D 4L whereas Adams' is something like 13W 5D 12L. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out our problem. Irrespective of the 10 points deduction we should be doing something like if we are ever going to get promoted. This shows a) Adams wasn't motivating the players even before our woes and/or b) the players aren't good enough. Re-signing Haldane (who can barely walk never mind run) isn't going to do it for me.

Davis is the new Mourinho, i suppose Liverpool will be after him now after all his success in 30 odd games of being a league manager?

On a serious note. If Adams were to leave i personally would us rather go for an experienced manager, rather than Davis. He has done well in his time at Crewe yes, but coming to Vale he'd need to change the whole set up. I think that 9 of the 11 lads in the Crewe team last night came through the youth setup. Vale don't have that. Davis would have to go out & build a completely new squad from scratch at Vale & i don't think he as enough experience in doing this, why would players come & play for Davis? Would he be able to attract the sort of players we need at the Vale, what contacts does he have in the game & so on?

Now if you were to ask me about Paulo Di Canio that would be different. He came in (albeit with money) but he changed the whole squad, his squad, got them playing for him & got them up as Champions. I'd rather have him than Davis if were talking about rookies, even if he is a bit nuts.

Davis isn't going to go down to Vale if he takes Crewe up or not. But he clearly has done in 30 matches, with no signings, something that Adams has failed to do in 3 seasons. I'm not advocating a replacement merely pointing out that Adams is not as amazing as we thought.

Why is our wage bill so high and our youth system so poor? Why are families seeing Crewe as a more attractive proposition than Vale to send their children to be coached? Why are we not picking up the cream of the local area? Simple, Port Vale has been run poorly for 10 years and now is unattractive to professional footballers, youngsters, casual supporters and investors alike. Big changes are needed to redress this. The things I know about our youth system are, frankly, laughable.

I still have no idea who Keith Ryder is or if he has the nouce or finance to make us a sucess. It's bad enough that we have lost ground on Stoke but to lose our superiority to Crewe would surely be the final straw.

Davis isn't going to go down to Vale if he takes Crewe up or not. But he clearly has done in 30 matches, with no signings, something that Adams has failed to do in 3 seasons. I'm not advocating a replacement merely pointing out that Adams is not as amazing as we thought.

Why is our wage bill so high and our youth system so poor? Why are families seeing Crewe as a more attractive proposition than Vale to send their children to be coached? Why are we not picking up the cream of the local area? Simple, Port Vale has been run poorly for 10 years and now is unattractive to professional footballers, youngsters, casual supporters and investors alike. Big changes are needed to redress this. The things I know about our youth system are, frankly, laughable.

I still have no idea who Keith Ryder is or if he has the nouce or finance to make us a sucess. It's bad enough that we have lost ground on Stoke but to lose our superiority to Crewe would surely be the final straw.

I agree with everything you say apart from the 1st paragraph.

I don't see that Adams as had 3 years at all & it's been said hundreds of times on here before.

1st year > Stability

2nd year > 5 months, top 3, left for Utd.

3rd year > Admin, lies, no loan signings after christmas, players not paid, points deduction, etc, blah blah

You may judge Adams on these 3 seasons but i can't, there lies the problem. I'll be able to at the end of next season & conclude whether he is the right one or not, but until i see where we finish next May then i will give Adams my full support. I'm not pro Adams or against Adams, i just want to see what he can do with a clean slate.

Archived