onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The defence for Sammy Robinson

smithie

On 08/04/2023 at 21:15, Granville said:

Wholeheartedly agree. I am patient with what we have to do development wise but the lad has had several chances now and doesn't look up to it.

Considering he's played the same role as James Gibbons from last season (RWB, LWB, emergency CB), he's nowhere near him.

I fear we'll do the same with Nathan Smith and end up with someone of a similar nature as an "upgrade".

I thought that Robinson would have been the one to step in to gibbons role and be a regular, I thought that’s what he was being  developed for. However he doesn’t have the same drive, energy, desire, passion and hasn’t provided the threat, assists or even chipped in with the odd goal that Gibbo did. There’s a lot to be said for what he brought to the team that we’ve been lacking this season. 

On 08/04/2023 at 21:27, Warren said:

I don't rate James Gibbons much. He's played for us at L2 level, not L1. It took him 1-2 seasons to learn how to keep the ball on the pitch when crossing. He did get the hang in his last season with us. He got injured often and we can't carry players like that. Sometimes it's the player's way of playing that gets them injured? 

If he had stayed with us he may have improved, but not gagging that he left. At right wing back he ain't a fraction of the player Worrall is. But that said I want Worrall further forward and attacking - difficult in our formation. 

Absolutely clueless post with the standard rose tinted convenient memory loss when a player goes. He provided quite a few assists, must have been well into double figures, was a threat, a good defender who played with passion, desire and commitment over the time he was with us and one of the few players IMO in recent times to get people off their seats with runs, his crossing, tackles and the stuff that can pick a team and crowd up. There’s a reason he was always picked when available for what he brought to the team. We’ve missed that massively this season and he’d walk into our side right now. 100%. I’ve no issue if we replaced all those positives, but we haven’t. There’s no doubt about it in my mind. Worralls a natural winger, gibbo wasnt and on the flip side worrall isn’t a natural defender so there pros and cons to both. However that doesn’t matter because at the end of the day we’ve found that Robinson at the moment doesn’t look like the man to to be replacing either of them and I think he could be released at the end of this season. 

Advert

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

I thought that Robinson would have been the one to step in to gibbons role and be a regular, I thought that’s what he was being  developed for. However he doesn’t have the same drive, energy, desire, passion and hasn’t provided the threat, assists or even chipped in with the odd goal that Gibbo did. There’s a lot to be said for what he brought to the team that we’ve been lacking this season. 

Absolutely clueless post with the standard rose tinted convenient memory loss when a player goes. He provided quite a few assists, must have been well into double figures, was a threat, a good defender who played with passion, desire and commitment over the time he was with us and one of the few players IMO in recent times to get people off their seats with runs, his crossing, tackles and the stuff that can pick a team and crowd up. There’s a reason he was always picked when available for what he brought to the team. We’ve missed that massively this season and he’d walk into our side right now. 100%. I’ve no issue if we replaced all those positives, but we haven’t. There’s no doubt about it in my mind. Worralls a natural winger, gibbo wasnt and on the flip side worrall isn’t a natural defender so there pros and cons to both. However that doesn’t matter because at the end of the day we’ve found that Robinson at the moment doesn’t look like the man to to be replacing either of them and I think he could be released at the end of this season. 

Gibbons has been mainly used as a sub at Bristol Rovers this season. 

With Massey, having concentrated on him yesterday, the issue is he doesn't get involved sufficiently. If he plays down the right  and the ball isn't coming to him, he'll stay where he is. He doesn't go looking for the ball nor adjust his position effectively so he can receive it. To be fair, going backwards is often not the answer, but coming more inside closer to Harrison could be in an attacking sense and that should create space for Worrall.

When he does get the ball he's a good player. All my criticism is him disappearing which I've interpreted as lack of effort and maybe unfairly. 

On 08/04/2023 at 15:05, Vale 1971 said:

Why they braindead because they care .
What do you want them do give the players standing ovation ?
They spent there hard earned on going the game yesterday to be embarrassed by a club who get 2000 gates and your defending the players who have brought great shame to PVFC .
Are you a new supporter ?
Do you not realise the damage been done by this sequence of results .
Do you want Vale head back to dire league ?
These fans care I hope it gets a response out of the slackers work shy players .
As for Robinson he isn't good enough to give the fans the f off back I look forwards to seeing him Monday if selected .
No hiding place for any of these now

Out of curiosity how do you know it was aimed at all of the vale fans in the stand?

I’ve seen on the Facebook groups that people have said the chants ‘were just the usually you’re rubbish, not fit to wear the shirt’ etc, and which was probably true for the majority of the funds shouting but there’s always one which takes it a lot further (and certainly won’t admit to what they actually said). Robinson could have been sticking up for a mate in Massey and didn’t appreciate the stick he was getting. They’d just lost a game, which they will be just as annoyed about as we are. 

I agree that people pay their hard earned money to watch but you trying to defend something that you likely didn’t hear what was said.

to put it another way, your employer pays you for doing a job that they expect you do to very well. How would you react to them screaming in front of all your colleagues at what a <ovf censored> job you’ve been doing. Then for the manager to justify their actions by saying ‘ well, we pay you a good wage, so I’ll treat you as I see fit’.

not a dig at you by the way mate, but I just really dislike the stance, that we as football fans think because we’ve paid to see a match, that we have a god given right to give whatever personal abuse we feel. 

58 minutes ago, maccapvfc said:

Out of curiosity how do you know it was aimed at all of the vale fans in the stand?

I’ve seen on the Facebook groups that people have said the chants ‘were just the usually you’re rubbish, not fit to wear the shirt’ etc, and which was probably true for the majority of the funds shouting but there’s always one which takes it a lot further (and certainly won’t admit to what they actually said). Robinson could have been sticking up for a mate in Massey and didn’t appreciate the stick he was getting. They’d just lost a game, which they will be just as annoyed about as we are. 

I agree that people pay their hard earned money to watch but you trying to defend something that you likely didn’t hear what was said.

to put it another way, your employer pays you for doing a job that they expect you do to very well. How would you react to them screaming in front of all your colleagues at what a <ovf censored> job you’ve been doing. Then for the manager to justify their actions by saying ‘ well, we pay you a good wage, so I’ll treat you as I see fit’.

not a dig at you by the way mate, but I just really dislike the stance, that we as football fans think because we’ve paid to see a match, that we have a god given right to give whatever personal abuse we feel. 

Totally agree, or should be big enough to take abuse back.

On 08/04/2023 at 23:08, Warren said:

Sammy needs to play in a position where exuberance is an asset and not a liability. That is further forward in the team and of course on the right side. Benning needs to play left back / wing back.  Slept 24 hours. Forgive his much provoked indiscretion. I think he wants to play for Port Vale - whereas 2 players out there yesterday do not. 

His best game this season was his only game at centrehalf.  Agree he just isn't a leftback.  At times I think his efforts to do the unusual becomes a distraction, as he tries to do it too often. At times he is predictable at trying to do the unpredictable; which defenders can the anticipate.

24 minutes ago, JRC said:

His best game this season was his only game at centrehalf.  Agree he just isn't a leftback.  At times I think his efforts to do the unusual becomes a distraction, as he tries to do it too often. At times he is predictable at trying to do the unpredictable; which defenders can the anticipate.

His best performance came in a 45 minute spell off the bench at Hillsborough.

He’s only a young developing RWB/RB, inconsistent, with plenty of flaws in his games, so quite why DC wants to hang him out to dry on the left is baffling, albeit admittedly we’re very short of options as it stands if Benning isn’t fully fit.

For me he’s in a great position to learn off David Worrall but he’s not even close to that level.

1 hour ago, JRC said:

His best game this season was at Sheffield Wednesday where he was played as a right wing back. That is easily his best position but he is an under study for Worrall one of our most consistent players. Robinson is too right footed to play in any left sided position, he did a good job at right back at Pompey but I think he has too many mistakes in him hence why he is better played up the pitch a bit.

42 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

He’s only a young developing RWB/RB, inconsistent, with plenty of flaws in his games, so quite why DC wants to hang him out to dry on the left is baffling, albeit admittedly we’re very short of options as it stands if Benning isn’t fully fit.

For me he’s in a great position to learn off David Worrall but he’s not even close to that level.

42 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Agree with all that, should have read your post before typing the above post. My only disagreement is in the fact that Benning is fully fit, it’s just Benning is not good enough, DC knows that and has failed multiple times to sign anyone who can replace Benning.

1 hour ago, philpvfc said:

Agree with all that, should have read your post before typing the above post. My only disagreement is in the fact that Benning is fully fit, it’s just Benning is not good enough, DC knows that and has failed multiple times to sign anyone who can replace Benning.

I’ll take a semi fit Benning over Robinson at LWB any day of the week.  Robinson isn’t anywhere close to being a nailed on starter on his natural right side let alone played out of position on the left where he’s also playing alongside a young kid fresh out of academy football, which in my view makes the decision all the more baffling if Benning is indeed fully fit.

On 11/04/2023 at 06:28, philpvfc said:

Rovers fans like him but typical to form Gibbons has been injured a lot this season and often played not fully fit. 

I don’t think that’s true about him being injured a lot this season. Bloke at work is a fan of theirs  and reckons he’s been a popular player but Barton’s been rotating their defenders and shape for most of the season. 

If there was any doubt about Robinson I think todays performance will see him released. Unforgivable couple of weeks from him. 

Archived