onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

England Squad

Jacko51

Monday is huge for me now.  We have the ability to turn up and put in a great performance and a big win but if its another damp squib (or squid as Darrel says) then we will be going into the World Cup on a massive downer. 

All the nonsense about changing manager now, well its far too near to the World Cup to do that.  Whatever happens, we will be going into the World Cup with Gareth in charge.

Given our group in the World Cup, we probably have the opportunity to grow into it and build confidence as the tournament goes on but its not ideal.  As I say, Monday is an opportunity to give a bit of hope and positivity to the fans.

Advert

4 minutes ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

Monday is huge for me now.  We have the ability to turn up and put in a great performance and a big win but if its another damp squib (or squid as Darrel says) then we will be going into the World Cup on a massive downer. 

All the nonsense about changing manager now, well its far too near to the World Cup to do that.  Whatever happens, we will be going into the World Cup with Gareth in charge.

Given our group in the World Cup, we probably have the opportunity to grow into it and build confidence as the tournament goes on but its not ideal.  As I say, Monday is an opportunity to give a bit of hope and positivity to the fans.

I just want to see us off the leash and creating chances and playing football. I'd rather play well but lose against Germany than scrape a draw in a game we were too scared to try and actually win . Grealish was silly picking up a booking which means he misses the game because he would probably have been a certain starter. He was one of the very few positives tonight.

Off the top of my head the last time I genuinely thought we played well as a team was in the Euros against an extremely average Ukraine side. It's just not good enough.

2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

I would have got rid after that Hungary game, can’t be losing like that at home. Has to go surely 

I would have sacked him after the Croatia Semi Final, then again after the Italy final. We played shocking in both tournaments for the majority of them. Thankfully we were lucky. People forget Belgium tonked us twice, we couldn't beat Colombia, or Scotland. I have no idea why people think he is a good manager.

His cautious approach has always frustrated me. With a proper manager, I'm sure we'd have beaten Croatia and Italy.

England's strength is going forward, so why not let the shackles off and let them attack teams?

The issue is, who would we appoint if Southgate left?

I'd have said Potter and Howe would have been candidates, but probably not now.

17 hours ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

Nonsense! Any world class top manager could grab hold of this lot and turn them into World beaters. Its not like the England manager spends every day with the squad.

No matter what the result is against Germany, I would make the change this week

One thing Southgate did do is make us very hard to beat. We've never played great football under him but we went ages without losing and had one of the best defensive records in Europe. But that's gone out of the window since the Euros and we're back to looking as poor as we did under the likes of McLaren and Capello. England should have one of the best attacks in world-football with the forward players and wing-backs we have. Southgate has somehow managed to completely stiffled those players.

We need a result and more importantly a good performance ahgainst Germany just to lift a bit of the doom and gloom going into the World Cup. But regardless how we do in Qatar, Southgate's time is surely coming to it's end.

4 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

Nonsense! Any world class top manager could grab hold of this lot and turn them into World beaters. Its not like the England manager spends every day with the squad.

But you're not in charge of the FA.  I am beginning to lose faith in Southgate too but if you think they will make a change at this point, you're deluded. You can't just parachute a new manager in 2 months before the World Cup especially as there aren't even any warm-up friendlies. You really think its a good idea for a new manager's first game in charge to be the opening game of the World Cup?

7 minutes ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

But you're not in charge of the FA.  I am beginning to lose faith in Southgate too but if you think they will make a change at this point, you're deluded. You can't just parachute a new manager in 2 months before the World Cup especially as there aren't even any warm-up friendlies. You really think its a good idea for a new manager's first game in charge to be the opening game of the World Cup?

A world class manager will have the team for training for a period of time before that first game in the World Cup. 

Do you really think after the last 5 games with the team lacking any type of identity or any confidence, they are going to be ready for the first game of the World Cup under Southgate?

We have been shocking under Southgate since the minute Luke Shaw scored against the Italians. We have not recovered or do not look like recovering from that.

A world class manager will have the team for training for a period of time before that first game in the World Cup. 
Do you really think after the last 5 games with the team lacking any type of identity or any confidence, they are going to be ready for the first game of the World Cup under Southgate?
We have been shocking under Southgate since the minute Luke Shaw scored against the Italians. We have not recovered or do not look like recovering from that.
The world cup starts 7 days after the Premier League stops so nobody is having the team training for a period of time before the first game.

I agree with what you say but the practicality is were stuck with him.

On 24/09/2022 at 16:49, Brian Johnson said:

I think England needs Bielsa. 

Think what he could do with the talent available.  He's an experienced international manager with a passion for attacking football. 

And he's available! 

Archived